Columbia U vs. SUNY Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mushy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Can somebody please give me the pros and cons for both Columbia University and Stony Brook? I don't know which one to attend. Thank You Very Much!

Members don't see this ad.

go to stony so you can open a spot for us non NY residents! hehehehe
actually sorry i don't know anything bout stony since me just a lowly Ca resident sniff sniff.
I LOVE NY!!

Considering the cost, there is a huuuuuuge difference. SUNY is by far cheaper than Columbia for NY residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia is a private school, so even non-NY residents can still attend. I'm from Cali and I still got in... :D

I would assume that SUNY would be slightly easier since some of their classes do not run as long as the one in Columbia. (ie: i think suny's anatomy class is only 3 months whereas columbia's is 7). Perhaps SUNY condenses their courses, but I highly doubt that.

just my 2 cents.

Unless you have no problem paying the Columbia tuition, GO TO SUNY in this case. I can't even see why this would be a decision to make, as a NY state resident it would be silly to pass up an acceptance to a SUNY dental school for a private one. I am at a SUNY school, I don't regret it seeing as I will be less than $100,000 in debt when I am done. You will have the same opportunities coming out of either school (you will be a dentist!), just less money to pay back after graduating from Stonybrook.

doggie - I disagree that Stonybrook would be easier than Columbia just because the classes are different lengths of time. Either way, both schools would have to teach enough info so their students would pass the boards. Doesn't matter how long they take to do it, as long as you learn it.

griffin...

By no means am I condesending SUNY's curriculum. I am merely inferring that SUNY's coursework is shorter.....partly because the dental courses at columbia are in conjunction with their med school counterparts.....hence the extra nonessential coursework.

I am forced to take courses that are so irrevelant to dentistry: embryology, neuroanatomy (might be relevant if we only concentrated on the trigeminal nerve), upper extremities in anatomy, etc...

At SUNY Buffalo, we were required to take those classes too. The same Anatomy and Embryo with the meds and every topic was covered in Neuroanatomy Although we had our own Neuro course, the relevance to dentistry was never really pointed out. We also took all of Path and a large part of Micro with them. Doesn't matter if we as dental students are "forced" to take these classes with the meds, they could ask this stuff on our boards - then I'm sure you'll be glad you learned it!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by griffin04:
•At SUNY Buffalo, we were required to take those classes too......•••••I think at SUNY Buffalo, you need to take a chill pill.....dont get so heated up. You sound like "this one time, at band camp......." :D