UCLA vs Columbia Dental CBSE preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amolupa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I got accepted into UCLA 2 days ago, and I had accepted my offer to Columbia few months back. I am interested in specializing ( hopefully OMFS) and understand that due to Columbia's integrated coursework, students there will have an advantage on the CBSE. I want to understand how much of an advantage students there have compared with UCLA students ( which I understand is also a specialty power house). UCLA is my state school and while the tuition is significantly less, how much more difficult will it be to pursue an OMFS residency ( and in particular prepare for the CBSE exam)? I appreciate all your help. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to UCLA and save your money. CBSE requires a ton of outside studying and although Columbia takes classes with med students I don’t think it’s a big enough advantage to pay the extra $ for.

And in the chance you change your mind away from OS (like 90% of my class already) then UCLA will set you up way better to become a GP.

Reactions: 7 users
As the above poster said, go to UCLA!

UCLA (like most schools) might cover like 5-10% of the material on the CBSE. There’s really not much overlap. Columbia might cover more, but Why are you going to spend an extra 300k for them to hold your hand through it when you need to bust your butt anyway to study for the whole thing? No one got a good score from Columbia without spending a massive amount of time studying on their own.

People always talk about Columbia like it’s a golden ticket. I saw a whole lot of public dental school applicants in my interviews last cycle. Some Columbia students study hard and get great scores, but imagine being one of those who don’t match. Yikes.

Besides, LA vs. NYC? That’s easy.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Save money. Go to the cheapest school you can get into and work hard. I’m from a state school with almost no overlap in material. Everyone I applied with at my school got good scores and got in. We worked super hard, but saved a bunch of money. Totally worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to UCLA and save your money. CBSE requires a ton of outside studying and although Columbia takes classes with med students I don’t think it’s a big enough advantage to pay the extra $ for.

And in the chance you change your mind away from OS (like 90% of my class already) then UCLA will set you up way better to become a GP.
Thank You! I appreciate your help.

As the above poster said, go to UCLA!

UCLA (like most schools) might cover like 5-10% of the material on the CBSE. There’s really not much overlap. Columbia might cover more, but Why are you going to spend an extra 300k for them to hold your hand through it when you need to bust your butt anyway to study for the whole thing? No one got a good score from Columbia without spending a massive amount of time studying on their own.

People always talk about Columbia like it’s a golden ticket. I saw a whole lot of public dental school applicants in my interviews last cycle. Some Columbia students study hard and get great scores, but imagine being one of those who don’t match. Yikes.

Besides, LA vs. NYC? That’s easy.
Thank You! I appreciate your help

Save money. Go to the cheapest school you can get into and work hard. I’m from a state school with almost no overlap in material. Everyone I applied with at my school got good scores and got in. We worked super hard, but saved a bunch of money. Totally worth it.
Thank You! I appreciate your help

I’ve seen mid - lower performing students get into oms from state schools. It’s not that bad. I think you can save a lot of money and reach your goals at UCLA. Congratulations on your acceptances.

Only you know yourself. Approximately 220 people matched last year. Multiples more than that started dental school wanting to do oral surgery. Approximately double that felt they had the application put together well enough to match, and failed to do so. Not matching is brutal and it’s easy to fall in the cycle of multiple intern years because of the investment you have made till that point.

For me is paying double for something ever worth it when the outcome is large part in my control to “make it happen?” No way.

can someone else say being an oral surgeon is absolutely worth it and paying a bit of a premium for a slight edge makes it so? Yes and I wouldn’t blame them.

I will tell you that your question is easier than most others. Both these schools are P/F. Both these schools are known for consistently producing a number of students who successfully match every year into the field. They have a good specializing culture, and decent support for that pursuit. It makes the argument an easier one (for most).

best of luck with your decision

I go to a school where our first year was with medical students, like Columbia. I have a couple classmates who aspire to do OMFS and still had to study their butts off, even after being part of the rigorous program. Go to the cheapest school.

Reactions: 1 users