Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Suffice it to say it is quite amazing. Usually the dean sends the list out via email within a few weeks, so I'm sure someone will post it up on SDN.

Welcome, 2011!

Members don't see this ad.

did you guys get the parent's day program thing? any of you planning to attend that? my dad is actually going to be in town with me, but i hadn't expected to bring him to 2nd look. frankly, i'm not sure how interested he would be in going. how much of this, do you think, overlaps with what we're doing on thursday and friday?

my parents went last year, they seemed to have a good time. they get talks from the deans, which might nice to hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think my mom is going to come, we live close by, and she works in NY, so its not a hassle, but shes not one of those parents dying to come to random things, but i guess it will be good since med school is a new experience in my family

What is this parent's day business? Was there some mailing I'm missing? Did anyone ever get a confirmation of receipt for their Revisit RSVP form? I attached mine in an email, but haven't heard piddly since.

Either way, my parents wouldn't come.

2 other questions:

1.) Are there any pre-MS1 research opportunities out there? Probably not, but you never know...

2.) Are you able to get housing in Bard Towers 2nd year if you did not live in Bard Hall during first year?

Thanks everyone!

Sev,

Re: pre-MS1 research.
There is no official program, but yes, you would probably be able to score a spot in someone's lab. If you are working in a CUMC lab over the summer, you can theoretically get a spot in Bard, but it isn't guaranteed. Also, I'm not sure if you've spent time in the city before, but it can be fairly expensive (especially if you don't get a spot in Bard), and the pay for lab jobs here is very low. Several labs pay around $1000/mo, and I assume that's standard. If you do the math, that is lower than new york state minimum wage. All the same, getting your bearings in manhattan ahead of time can be nice. If you want to do research the summer before first year and can make it work financially, it could be a really good experience. I'd definitely suggest meeting with the people in the lab before you commit.

Re: Housing.
Sponge is right, you can fill a vacancy in the towers without having spent time in Bard, but you don't get a place in the lottery without paying your dues.

Columbia is quite the place. As with any institution, we have our problems, but you'll get a hell of an education here. And if you're up to it, you can have a great time while you're at it.

So here's my next question:

I have no idea why the kind folks at P&S decided to admit me, though I strongly suspect it had something to do with the crack they were smoking during their admissions committee meeting ...

So let's say, given the extraordinary students this school attracts, I get there and never make honors and am ranked rather low down. Would that hurt me more than if I went to another school where I might be able to swing some honors, or yet another school that doesn't give out grades?

What are your thoughts? I'm terrified by this unexpected change of events.

cubbbie,

At last years second look I met this fourth year student who was a little unhappy with his match. He was near the bottom of the class, and had hoped to get a spot in the internal medicine program here at Columbia. Unfortunately, he had to settle for Yale.

Moral: I don't think you have to worry about not doing well at P&S. The educational philosophy here is based on the idea that everyone is going to excel. If there is one thing the administration here is good at, it's making sure everyone looks good when they finish.

cubbbie,

At last years second look I met this fourth year student who was a little unhappy with his match. He was near the bottom of the class, and had hoped to get a spot in the internal medicine program here at Columbia. Unfortunately, he had to settle for Yale.

Moral: I don't think you have to worry about not doing well at P&S. The educational philosophy here is based on the idea that everyone is going to excel. If there is one thing the administration here is good at, it's making sure everyone looks good when they finish.

Thanks for this. Yeah, I'm starting to read all the back and forth in the pre-allo forum regarding match lists and it's becoming clear that -- for whatever reason -- certain schools are better than others at helping their students get into good programs after graduation. It's good to hear that P&S takes such a strong interest in ensuring their students do well in med school and beyond.

Hey P&S class of 2011. I was accepted at Columbia a while back but have just recently started posting on SDN so I thought I'd say hi. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about doing primary care coming out of Columbia? I still have no clue about what area of medicine I want to go into so I can't necessarily rule out diong primary care. Is it still possible to have a strong background for primary care out of Columbia since it seems so geared for surgery and academic medicine?

Can't wait to see everyone at second look.

I think there are quite a few people who are interested in primary care at Columbia. My student host was interested in it and during my stay there she talked about it a bit... it seemed as though there was a lot of information and opportunities out there for students.

Also, I was just assigned my student host for revisit. Very exciting. I'll have to email her!

Sev,

Re: pre-MS1 research.
There is no official program, but yes, you would probably be able to score a spot in someone's lab. If you are working in a CUMC lab over the summer, you can theoretically get a spot in Bard, but it isn't guaranteed. Also, I'm not sure if you've spent time in the city before, but it can be fairly expensive (especially if you don't get a spot in Bard), and the pay for lab jobs here is very low. Several labs pay around $1000/mo, and I assume that's standard. If you do the math, that is lower than new york state minimum wage. All the same, getting your bearings in manhattan ahead of time can be nice. If you want to do research the summer before first year and can make it work financially, it could be a really good experience. I'd definitely suggest meeting with the people in the lab before you commit.

Re: Housing.
Sponge is right, you can fill a vacancy in the towers without having spent time in Bard, but you don't get a place in the lottery without paying your dues.

Columbia is quite the place. As with any institution, we have our problems, but you'll get a hell of an education here. And if you're up to it, you can have a great time while you're at it.

Thanks for the info dbhvt!

While I'd love to be able to do research up there this summer, it's becoming apparent that I won't be able to. My pug needs surgery and I gots to keep working to help pay for that. I really ought to quit medicine and go into vet orthopedics.... talk about making money!! :rolleyes: :cool:

I think I will look to fill a vacancy in the towers at some point. It'll be something I'll look into during revisit. Apparently there are a lot of apartments on Haven Ave right across the street, so I might look into those too.

I'm getting so excited. I cannot wait until I get to come back up again!

I think there are quite a few people who are interested in primary care at Columbia. My student host was interested in it and during my stay there she talked about it a bit... it seemed as though there was a lot of information and opportunities out there for students.

Also, I was just assigned my student host for revisit. Very exciting. I'll have to email her!

I agree, I signed up for the primary care info session at revisit so I am sure there will be more information there. Thanks for your input.

Apparently there are a lot of apartments on Haven Ave right across the street, so I might look into those too.

I'm looking for off-campus housing too. Did you have any more information about these apartments? Finding an apartment here is such a pain. You literally have to show up with a check in hand to get anything. I used to think this was only the case in "hip" neighborhoods but it seems to apply to Washington Heights as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey P&S class of 2011. I was accepted at Columbia a while back but have just recently started posting on SDN so I thought I'd say hi. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about doing primary care coming out of Columbia? I still have no clue about what area of medicine I want to go into so I can't necessarily rule out diong primary care. Is it still possible to have a strong background for primary care out of Columbia since it seems so geared for surgery and academic medicine?

Can't wait to see everyone at second look.

I'm interested in primary care as well (I'm a first year here), and it is certainly possible to do it. In fact, I think it's a good place to come for primary care for several reasons. First, the 3rd year rotation schedule includes several week and 2-week long rotations in subspecialties (urology, opthalmology, ENT, etc) that will give you a brief look at fields that you will be referring patients to and that you wouldn't be exposed to normally. Second, Washington Heights is an ideal place to do lots of community care, health education, etc etc. And since not a lot of students are interested in primary care, primary care docs (certainly in family medicine and geriatrics -- those are the ones I had contact with) are very excited that you're interested and it's easy to get to know them and develop relationships with them, etc. Third, we get all the touchy-feely patient interaction skills relevant to primary care in Clinical Practice. Also, the clerkships in primary care (at least the ones that I've done: one family med, one adolescent peds) are good experiences.

Columbia's just not ranked in primary care because people don't go into it, typically 2 or 3 per class go into family medicine, for instance. However, I'm not sure about where they place or where the best programs are in primary care -- I suppose I should look that up.

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Regarding housing, we had a talk from the housing office about our optione for next year. The woman in charge of off campus housing advised us that anywhere in NYC you're basically expected to move in ASAP. Start looking for a place maybe a month before your planned move-in so when you find one you're ready and willing to make a deposit and move in very soon.

Regarding housing, we had a talk from the housing office about our optione for next year. The woman in charge of off campus housing advised us that anywhere in NYC you're basically expected to move in ASAP. Start looking for a place maybe a month before your planned move-in so when you find one you're ready and willing to make a deposit and move in very soon.

It's true. This place is not for the risk-averse (myself) when it comes to looking for housing. I already live in the city but would like to move closer to school and I forgot what a nightmare it is to find an apartment. I looked at a place today. The door of the apartment next to the one I was looking at was sagging so badly there was about an inch gap at the top through which you could see the ceiling of the apartment (very nice!). I guess it offered an alternative to sliding notes under the door...

It's true. This place is not for the risk-averse (myself) when it comes to looking for housing. I already live in the city but would like to move closer to school and I forgot what a nightmare it is to find an apartment. I looked at a place today. The door of the apartment next to the one I was looking at was sagging so badly there was about an inch gap at the top through which you could see the ceiling of the apartment (very nice!). I guess it offered an alternative to sliding notes under the door...

This scares me. I am afraid of not being able to find something half decent AND close to school. It's times like these (and when I'm doing the litter) that I wish I didn't have cats. :rolleyes: :oops:

This scares me. I am afraid of not being able to find something half decent AND close to school. It's times like these (and when I'm doing the litter) that I wish I didn't have cats. :rolleyes: :oops:

Aww..now I feel badly for discouraging people. I posted that right after I looked at a few places so I was feeling especially glum. I think though that good stuff can be found. It's also probably easier to find a room to rent instead of an apartment. Are you on the off-campus housing list yet? I can give you the email address for the contact if you want it.

I think it is hard to search in that area because it's a rather small market. Also, I'm kind of a wimp and don't want to live anywhere too sketchy. The sagging door totally freaked me out though. This was after I looked at an apartment that didn't have any counterspace in the kitchen (I kid you not, not one counter).

Aww..now I feel badly for discouraging people. I posted that right after I looked at a few places so I was feeling especially glum. I think though that good stuff can be found. It's also probably easier to find a room to rent instead of an apartment. Are you on the off-campus housing list yet? I can give you the email address for the contact if you want it.

I think it is hard to search in that area because it's a rather small market. Also, I'm kind of a wimp and don't want to live anywhere too sketchy. The sagging door totally freaked me out though. This was after I looked at an apartment that didn't have any counterspace in the kitchen (I kid you not, not one counter).

Yeah... I'd love to get on the off-campus housing list. It's always better to start early.

I'm with you. I'm a total wimp and want to live super close to school... or at least within the security patrol area. I've come across a couple of apartments in the Village Voice or Craigslist which are on Haven Ave. but I have no clue what they actually look like or what condition the building is in. I've even considered looking down at the Morningside campus because undergrad campuses are always a little fun and exciting. I suppose you run the risk of not getting to know your classmates well, though. Eh... it's very difficult.

And no counter space? I'm sorry, but WTF? How are you supposed to prepare anything? On the kitchen table? I have seen some really nice kitchens in some of these places... stainless steel refrigerators... ohhhhhhh aaaaaahhhhhhhh.. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ok. I quit freaking out about finding a decent place to live. I looked at some places today that were MUCH better and am hopeful that something perfect in my price range exists.

I think someone asked for this on this thread, so I'll post it here.

(From the pre-allo forum)

Anesthesiology
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA Anesthesiology Boston MA (2)
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Anesthesiology New York NY (7)
U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor Anesthesiology Ann Arbor MI
Barnes-Jewish Hosp-MO Anesthesiology St. Louis MO
UC San Francisco-CA Anesthesiology San Francisco CA
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Anesthesiology Stanford CA
Oregon Health & Science Univ Anesthesiology Portland OR

Dermatology
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Dermatology New York NY
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY Dermatology New York NY
Henry Ford HSC-MI Dermatology Detroit MI
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA-IL Medicine-Dermatology Chicago IL

Emergency Medicine
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY Emergency Medicine New York NY
NYU School Of Medicine Emergency Medicine New York NY
George Washington Univ-DC Emergency Medicine Washington DC
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Emergency Medicine Stanford CA
U Southern California Emergency Medicine Los Angeles CA

ENT
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Otolaryngology New York NY
Hosp of the Univ of PA Otolaryngology Philadelphia PA
Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY Otolaryngology Bronx NY
Jackson Memorial Hosp-FL Otolaryngology Miami FL
U Iowa Hosp/Clin-Iowa City Otolaryngology Iowa City IA
St Louis Univ SOM-MO Otolaryngology St. Louis MO

Family Medicine
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Family Practice New York NY

General Surgery
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY General Surgery New York NY (2)
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY General Surgery New York NY
NYU School Of Medicine General Surgery New York NY
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY General Surgery Stonybrook NY
Hosp of the Univ of PA General Surgery Philadelphia PA
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA General Surgery Boston MA
B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA General Surgery Boston MA
Morristown Mem Hosp-NJ General Surgery Morristown NJ

Internal Medicine
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Internal Medicine New York NY (9)
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY Internal Medicine New York NY
NYU School Of Medicine Internal Medicine New York NY (3)
Mt Sinai Hospital-NY Internal Medicine New York NY
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Internal Medicine Boston MA
B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA Internal Medicine Boston MA
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD Internal Medicine Baltimore MD (2)
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Internal Medicine Durham NC
Emory Univ SOM-GA Internal Medicine Atlanta GA
Barnes-Jewish Hosp-MO Internal Medicine St. Louis MO
Mayo School of Graduate Medical Educ-MN Internal Medicine Rochester MN
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Internal Medicine Stanford CA
UCLA Medical Center-CA Internal Medicine Los Angeles CA

Neurology
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Neurology New York NY (2)
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD Neurology Baltimore MD

Neurosurgery
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Neurosurgery New York (2)
U Tennessee COM-Memphis Neurosurgery Memphis
Barrow Neurological Inst Neurosurgery Phoenix AZ (3)
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX Neurosurgery Houston TX

Obstetrics-Gynecology
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY Obstetrics-Gynecology New York NY
NYU School Of Medicine Obstetrics-Gynecology New York NY

Opthalmology
NY Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY Ophthalmology New York NY (2)
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Ophthalmology New York NY
St. Luke's/Roosevelt Opthalmology New York NY

Orthopaedic Surgery
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Orthopaedic Surgery New York NY (2)
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Ortho Surg/Harvard Combined Boston MA (2)
Mt Sinai Hospital-NY Orthopaedic Surgery New York NY
University at Buffalo Orthopaedic Surgery Buffalo NY
Jackson Memorial Hosp-FL Orthopaedic Surgery Miami FL
UCLA Medical Center-CA Orthopaedic Surgery Los Angeles CA (2)
Albany Med Ctr Hosp-NY Orthopaedic Surgery Albany NY

Pathology
Columbia

Pediatrics
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Pediatrics New York NY (2)
Mt Sinai Hospital-NY Pediatrics-Primary New York NY (2)
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD Pediatrics Baltimore MD
Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY Pediatrics Bronx NY
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Pediatrics Boston MA
Childrens Hosp Boston-MA Peds/Childrens Hosp Boston MA
Childrens Hospital-Phila-PA Pediatrics Philadelphia PA (2)
UPMC Medical Education Prog-PA Pediatrics Pittsburgh PA
U Florida Prog-Shands Hosp Pediatrics C - 100296 Gainesville FL
UC San Francisco-CA Pediatrics San Francisco CA
UCLA Medical Center-CA Pediatrics Los Angeles CA
Childrens Hosp-LA-CA Pediatrics Los Angeles CA

Physical Medicine & Rehab
NYU School of Medicine-NY Physical Medicine& Rehab New York NY

Plastic Surgery
NYU School Of Medicine Plastic Surgery New York NY
U Washington Affil Hosps Plastic Surgery Seattle WA

Psychiatry
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Psychiatry-Columbia-NYPH New York NY (3)
NYU School Of Medicine Psychiatry New York NY (2)
UPMC Medical Education Prog-PA Psychiatry Pittsburgh PA
Cambridge Hospital/CHA-MA Psychiatry Cambridge MA
UC San Francisco-CA Psychiatry San Francisco CA
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Psychiatry Stanford CA
Oregon Health & Science Univ Psychiatry Portland OR
CA Pacific Med Center Psychiatry San Francisco CA

Radiology-Diagnostic
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Radiology-Diagnostic New York NY (4)
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY Radiology-Diagnostic New York NY
SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY Radiology-Diagnostic Brooklyn NY (2)
Hosp of the Univ of PA Radiology-Diag/Research Philadelphia PA
Mayo School of Graduate Medical Educ-MN Radiology-Diagnostic Rochester MN
U Texas SW Med Sch-Dallas Radiology-Diagnostic Dallas TX

Radiology-Oncology
UC San Francisco-CA Radiation Oncology San Francisco CA
U Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics Radiation Oncology Madison WI

Urology
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Urology New York NY
SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY Urology Brooklyn NY
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD Urology Baltimore MD

going to P&S for sure dudes and dudettes!

a) i dont think i'm going to revisit :( wanted to meet you all but it might not happen. dont want ot bring the mom along, cause she'll dampen my spirits for sure.

b) why is everyone moving off campus? choose to live in bard like me! we can hang! whooo!

c) anyone on facebook here?

a) i dont think i'm going to revisit :( wanted to meet you all but it might not happen. dont want ot bring the mom along, cause she'll dampen my spirits for sure.

b) why is everyone moving off campus? choose to live in bard like me! we can hang! whooo!

I'm not 100% set on P&S yet but to respond to your nicely organized post...

a) Sorry you can't make revisit, but we'll report back, so you can live vicariously through us!
b) Don't worry, you're not the only cool person who's planning to live on campus :cool:
c) lol, who isn't? Are you thinking facebook group? Because I'm thinking that's a great idea :thumbup:

I'm not 100% set on P&S yet but to respond to your nicely organized post...

a) Sorry you can't make revisit, but we'll report back, so you can live vicariously through us!
b) Don't worry, you're not the only cool person who's planning to live on campus :cool:
c) lol, who isn't? Are you thinking facebook group? Because I'm thinking that's a great idea :thumbup:

Awesome. I'm also dead-set on P&S!! Big Apple, here I come! :D :love:

Keeping our format:

a.) I'm a dork. I will post pictures.
II.) I seriously want to live on campus so that I can hang out :( , but I've got a cat and they don't allow pets in Bard. :( :( I worry that I'm going to miss out on all the fun.
3.) Yup. We should definitely set up a facebook P&S '11 group. :thumbup:

Alright, I'm kind of antsy and bored as anything, so (and I hope this doesn't step on anyone's toes) but I think I might set up a facebook group. :oops:

stoppushingit, Lorienne... I hope you're okay with that.

Alright, I'm kind of antsy and bored as anything, so (and I hope this doesn't step on anyone's toes) but I think I might set up a facebook group. :oops:

stoppushingit, Lorienne... I hope you're okay with that.

Sounds good to me!

:oops: Now I feel like a total gunner.

Nah, we've gotta do something to pass the time before second look weekend!

Quick question: Sorry, I'm such a facebook noob, but when I look at a list of all my groups it says that there are four wall posts in the P&S group, but when I go to the group page itself I only see two (the ones I wrote). What's up with that?

Nah, we've gotta do something to pass the time before second look weekend!

Quick question: Sorry, I'm such a facebook noob, but when I look at a list of all my groups it says that there are four wall posts in the P&S group, but when I go to the group page itself I only see two (the ones I wrote). What's up with that?

Hmmm... I don't know. I posted two long-winded responses to your wall posts. Ohhh... maybe it's because of my security settings (set so only friends can see my wall messages).

Facebook is so confusing and it makes me feel sooo old. Once I get a picture up I'll stick myself in the group though.

Also, I think we found an apartment! It's in the midst of all the university housing so I won't feel left out. The answer to the question of why I won't be living in university housing is because I'm married and they give married couples living in the city lowest priority for housing. Apparently, they weren't even able to give all the couples in their highest priority group housing last year. It's too bad because the towers are supposed to be really nice.

Also, I think we found an apartment! It's in the midst of all the university housing so I won't feel left out. The answer to the question of why I won't be living in university housing is because I'm married and they give married couples living in the city lowest priority for housing. Apparently, they weren't even able to give all the couples in their highest priority group housing last year. It's too bad because the towers are supposed to be really nice.

Yeah!!!

Hopefully I'll find something similarly situated come July/August!

Hey everyone!
I've been busy lately and never got around to adding myself to this list, but I will definitely be at p&S in the fall! I'm soo excited :) I will also be at Revisit Weekend, and I'm sure I'll see most of you there!

Since we're moving to WaHi :)laugh: ) this weekend I thought I would do some research and see just how rough and tumble it really is. What I found was pretty surprising...

There's a gay bar now. I'm impressed!
http://nymag.com/listings/bar/No-Parking/

Crime has dropped significantly since the 90s. All of NY has gotten safer but apparently WaHi has made the most improvements (way to go!).
http://nymag.com/news/articles/reasonstoloveny/2006/25624/

Interestingly enough the crime is much higher and the population smaller where I live now. I actually compared the police precinct reports and was totally shocked seeing how I live in one of these ueber-hip brooklyn neighborhoods and have never felt unsafe.

Finally, for music lovers out there, Modest Mouse and Arcade Fire are playing this spring at a venue on 175th and Broadway.

rubles, i like you already. i'm seeing bloc party there tomorrow after we finish exams. the venue is now affiliated with the bowery, so expect excellent shows. i plan on buying arcade fire tickets tomorrow morning. in fact, the picture on my profile is from when i saw bloc party two years ago.

rubles, i like you already. i'm seeing bloc party there tomorrow after we finish exams. the venue is now affiliated with the bowery, so expect excellent shows. i plan on buying arcade fire tickets tomorrow morning. in fact, the picture on my profile is from when i saw bloc party two years ago.

Actually, you're really liking my husband's taste in music. He's the music buff. I get all my music from him. We've definitely been to some fun shows though (Kraftwerk, specifically, comes to mind) and it's nice knowing that there's a venue so close by.

Are there any merit-based scholarships/grants at Columbia or is that just crazy talk? I was just wondering because of that section we filled out on the finaid form where we had to summarize our research experiences and list our honors/awards. What was that for?

Thought you might find this interview with the new dean pretty interesting. It's good to see that they're getting some new blood in at P&S. (Not sure how all you current students feel about him, but from an outsider's perspective, it seems like a positive thing.)

As he mentions in the interview, the school had been coasting for quite a while on a big name and a great location, but that probably could not go on forever. It seems as though they are now responding to the need for a curriculum overhaul and better facilities. Not sure how any of this would necessarily affect us if we choose to go there next year, but it is good to see that P&S is making attempts to remain vital and dynamic in the medical education world. To be honest, despite all the great things I saw during my interview, I was a little bit worried that this school was on its way to becoming irrelevant.

http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/news/journal/journal-o/winter_2007/qa.html

Yeah... I read that same article on Friday.

It seems like a very exciting time to be at P&S. The new dean seems to have a lot of ideas about expanding the school, it's curriculum, and look. I wonder when these things are going to start to take effect or what his timeline is.

Yeah... I read that same article on Friday.

It seems like a very exciting time to be at P&S. The new dean seems to have a lot of ideas about expanding the school, it's curriculum, and look. I wonder when these things are going to start to take effect or what his timeline is.

Dr. Drusin, the dean of education, tells us that curriculum changes are targeted to begin with the class of 2012. From working with these guys, I would guess the overhaul in toto won't happen that early, though you may see some changes for 2012.

Here's the official word as of January:
Dr. Drusin said:
January 16, 2007

I want to bring you up to date on the project to review the P&S curriculum and to plan a new and innovative curriculum that will enhance the learning and teaching environment for P&S students and faculty for the future.

Although the curriculum has changed significantly each academic year based on new information, innovative teaching techniques and feedback from students, the structure of the curriculum has not changed since the early 1990’s. First and second years function independently and are not well integrated. The third year clerkship schedule is dense and fully scheduled. At present there is no flexibility before the fourth year for students to explore aspects of medicine in depth that interest them before making a career decision.

In 2005, Dean Fischbach asked the faculty to begin a review of the four-year curriculum and to recommend changes that would take advantage of new teaching and learning technologies to improve the education programs at Columbia for students and faculty. He asked that we look at changes in our peer schools and to develop a new curriculum that preserved our strengths but would be flexible enough to allow students to explore aspects of medicine that excited them. The charge is to develop a creative, innovative learning environment that would keep P&S among the very best of American medical schools, leading the way for other schools. In the review process we shall identify our strengths and preserve them in the new design, building on these strengths to create a better teaching and learning environment for the future.

The process began during the fall of 2005 but slowed during the transition to new leadership under Dean Goldman, who has endorsed the plan for review and change, bringing with him experience as Chair of Medicine and Associate Dean at UCSF. The ideas he has brought are very much in concert with the thinking of the faculty and students who have participated in the Task Force on Education. The planning process has now accelerated with his support and participation.

We are hoping to have a plan completed for the new curriculum by the end of summer, to allow the faculty to spend next year preparing the teaching materials. Thus the first class that will experience these changes will enter in the fall of 2008. In recruiting students to this class we must be able to show them the detailed outline of their education programs over four years. The changes will not affect currently enrolled students or students entering in the fall of 2007. Thus, the class entering in 2008 will be the first class affected by change. The curriculum will be phased in with each successive class.

The faculty committees are beginning to work on the plan. Dr. Garrett, Dr. Barasch and Dr. Spitalnik have agreed to lead the planning on preclinical science education. Dr. Nickerson will chair the working group on clinical education. Members of these working groups will be drawn from the teaching faculty who understand and value our teaching programs and from you the students who know the strengths and weaknesses of our curriculum compared to other schools.

One principle in the change will be to ask each student to do a focused academic project while an undergraduate medical student. Students will select a project and mentor in areas of medicine such as basic research, clinical research, population research, community service, global health, medical ethics, medical education, etc. I am forming faculty groups who will help to define the expectations for these projects and to craft opportunities to acquire skills and knowledge that will help a student with his/her project. I can report that the faculty members who I have approached to serve on these committees have agreed with great enthusiasm for the concept and the opportunity to mentor students. The faculty for these committees is drawn from all schools at CUMC.

We shall preserve the summer off between first and second year. It may be possible to begin work on the required academic project during that summer, or not.

In conjunction with the planning for a new curriculum, we shall have new, modern classrooms in the lower levels of the library, equipped to bring technology into the classroom which will allow the faculty to use more images in our small group teaching and to do more problem solving exercises in class. These classrooms will replace the classrooms on PH17, which are to become research labs. They will provide students with first-rate learning and studying facilities in Hammer, lacking the transit time to the 17th floor of Presbyterian Hospital after a lecture. I have asked for students who are interested to volunteer to work with the architects designing the facilities to ensure that the new classrooms meet student needs.

I want to assure all of you that the goals of the curriculum review and changes are to improve the learning and teaching environment and to keep P&S at the very top of U.S. medical schools so that in the future outstanding students like you will continue to select P&S as their first choice for undergraduate medical education.

Ronald E. Drusin, MD
Interim Senior Associate Dean for Education

Hey 2011! I'm settled on P&S, and I hope to meet you all at second look.

I'm kinda/half/maybe interested in pursuing global health, and one question I've yet to find an answer to is whether or not P&S has a student-run/student-organized clinic in a developing country somewhere.

I mean here at Penn the student-founded and organized clinic in Guatemala is pretty big. I thought that was pretty cool (particularly on the administration's part to just let them go at it) and I wondered if you all had something similar or if something was in the works.

As an aside, the more I keep poking around the P&S website, the more I'm just blown away. There are just so many friggin options! Four years is seriously not enough time. (But since this is on my tab, it's going to have to be) :rolleyes: :cool:

I'm kinda/half/maybe interested in pursuing global health, and one question I've yet to find an answer to is whether or not P&S has a student-run/student-organized clinic in a developing country somewhere.

I thought I saw something in that same magazine I posted earlier about ties to a clinic in Dominican Republic. But I only glanced at it.

Along those lines -- how common is it to pursue the MPH at Mailman? It sounds like they've got a really solid set up for a joint degree, but I'm already fretting about the med school workload and don't really want to spend my evenings on even more classes. Plus, going even more into debt doesn't sound like that much fun. At the same time, it would be hard to pass up such a great opportunity at a great institution. So what I'm wondering about MD/MPH -- is it one of those things that only masochists do, or is it like Northwestern, where over 1/3 of the students do it?

because revisit's just around the corner :D

Along those lines -- how common is it to pursue the MPH at Mailman? It sounds like they've got a really solid set up for a joint degree, but I'm already fretting about the med school workload and don't really want to spend my evenings on even more classes. Plus, going even more into debt doesn't sound like that much fun. At the same time, it would be hard to pass up such a great opportunity at a great institution. So what I'm wondering about MD/MPH -- is it one of those things that only masochists do, or is it like Northwestern, where over 1/3 of the students do it?

Quite a few people do MPHs, but i forget the number. You don't need to take courses during med school. just a year off (two semesters and a summer), most people do that after 3rd year, so its a nice break from clinical stuff.

see you people at revisit