Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Severus

FTSM!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2.gif

Members don't see this ad.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :) I hope you all come to revisit (April 12-13) and stay for the weekend. It'll be lots of fun!!!

I can't believe it's already been a year for us 2010-ers...I'm so happy for you soon to be first years :)

I'll be at revisit, but what are current student's honest opinions on competitiveness at the school. I go to a competitive undergrad, and while Im sure its different, I used to tell people it wasnt competitive, but Ive come to the realization that it is, so Id like some honest input. I guess its hard to compare to other schools though, since each person only goes to one school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Ivy. I am so excited! :D

Hey... how am I supposed to register for second look? I have a flyer here which advertises it and informs me that I have to send in my RSVP form by March 30th, but I don't have an RSVP form in my packet. Am I just being a total *****? Is this something which is sent in once I've officially accepted my spot?

wow sev - you've started two class threads now. you're just killing in this process. i also got the big envelope (though i'm overseas now so i haven't held it in my hands). columbia was my first interview and i fell in love with the place. i can't believe they decided to take a chance on me.

so, my thing is -- columbia is much more traditional than the other schools i'm considering, which is possibly a turn off, though i really liked the people, the vibe, the p/f system, and the city. aargh, decisions!!

wow sev - you've started two class threads now. you're just killing in this process. i also got the big envelope (though i'm overseas now so i haven't held it in my hands). columbia was my first interview and i fell in love with the place. i can't believe they decided to take a chance on me.

so, my thing is -- columbia is much more traditional than the other schools i'm considering, which is possibly a turn off, though i really liked the people, the vibe, the p/f system, and the city. aargh, decisions!!

Hahaha.. I'm just neurotic and overly excited about starting threads. :oops: ;)

See, I really like the traditional nature of Columbia's curriculum. I don't get much from lecture, so I love the fact that they're almost all lecture. That way, I can skip class all I want, read the material on my own (which is really how I learn) and not have to bother with PBL (which I already hate). I'm also exceedingly happy that it's P/F. The whole Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail thing at some other schools just scared the bejesus outta me.

In the end, I feel like you're going to have to teach yourself almost everything anyway and, IMHO, not being required to participate in small group lectures and discussions all the time really frees up time to study and have a life outside of school

Soooooo glad I can officially join this thread!! :D I live in NYC and was so sad on Friday because when I didn't get the big envelope, I assumed rejection/waitlist. Lo and behold, Saturday morning comes along and I'm notified via email that I've got something waiting for me in my campus package center but I couldn't get it because I was home this weekend (stupid, I know!). All weekend long I'm driving myself crazy trying not to get my hopes up. Finally, this morning, my heart was literally beating out of my chest as I was waiting for the package guy to get my envelope! Only when I read Columbia University on the return label did I let myself get excited! YAY!

Soooooo glad I can officially join this thread!! :D I live in NYC and was so sad on Friday because when I didn't get the big envelope, I assumed rejection/waitlist. Lo and behold, Saturday morning comes along and I'm notified via email that I've got something waiting for me in my campus package center but I couldn't get it because I was home this weekend (stupid, I know!). All weekend long I'm driving myself crazy trying not to get my hopes up. Finally, this morning, my heart was literally beating out of my chest as I was waiting for the package guy to get my envelope! Only when I read Columbia University on the return label did I let myself get excited! YAY!

YAAAAY!!! Are you coming to second look?

P.S.- I'm also a raging Austen fan. We could totally start a club about this. :D :thumbup:

YAAAAY!!! Are you coming to second look?

P.S.- I'm also a raging Austen fan. We could totally start a club about this. :D :thumbup:

I really want to go to second look but I'm going crazy because there are three second looks I'm interested in going to and they're all on the same weekend!! ACK! I need to be more decisive starting now. Btw, congrats Sev, I know you were really looking forward to hearing from Columbia!!

PS You like Harry Potter AND Jane Austen? You're officially my new best friend :D

I really want to go to second look but I'm going crazy because there are three second looks I'm interested in going to and they're all on the same weekend!! ACK! I need to be more decisive starting now. Btw, congrats Sev, I know you were really looking forward to hearing from Columbia!!

PS You like Harry Potter AND Jane Austen? You're officially my new best friend :D

Come to Columbia!! You know you wanna!!! ;) :D It's where people with great taste in literature go!

I LOVE Harry Potter and Jane Austen. I am so stoked about the seventh book coming out. What a great way to spend the summer before med school! :love:

Is anyone else getting paranoid that 1.) this is still just a dream and 2.) you accidentally chccked "do not accept offer" option on their form. My OCD is kicking in right now and it must stop.

I keep worrying that I messed up somehow and I've already mailed it in. :eek: :( :oops:

Is anyone else getting paranoid that 1.) this is still just a dream and 2.) you accidentally checked "do not accept offer" option on their form. My OCD is kicking in right now and it must stop.

I keep worrying that I messed up somehow and I've already mailed it in. :eek: :( :oops:

OMG! YES! I checked that thing three times, put in the envelope, took it out again to check it another four times, put it back in the envelope, took it out again...sigh, I finally mailed it after much unnecessary anxiety. Did you think that blank was entirely too large for just a check mark? To be safe, I signed my name and put a check next to it, lol

Oooh and I too am super excited about HP7!!! Though I realize I'm going to be utterly inconsolable once I'm finished reading it and I realize there's no more new HP to look forward to :( . I was in a funk for days after I finished HP6, so I can't imagine how I'll feel when the series finally ends. Whatev, no time to think about that now! There are more important things to worry about - like whether I should order the book online or get it at midnight from a bookstore. sigh, decisions, decisions! :laugh:

OMG! YES! I checked that thing three times, put in the envelope, took it out again to check it another four times, put it back in the envelope, took it out again...sigh, I finally mailed it after much unnecessary anxiety. Did you think that blank was entirely too large for just a check mark? To be safe, I signed my name and put a check next to it, lol

Oooh and I too am super excited about HP7!!! Though I realize I'm going to be utterly inconsolable once I'm finished reading it and I realize there's no more new HP to look forward to :( . I was in a funk for days after I finished HP6, so I can't imagine how I'll feel when the series finally ends. Whatev, no time to think about that now! There are more important things to worry about - like whether I should order the book online or get it at midnight from a bookstore. sigh, decisions, decisions! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who did that. Sometimes I truly do scare myself with this sort of thing. Ack... I can't tell you how many people I had double/triple/quadruple check that stupid little form for me.

Signing the line and checking is a good idea. It was so long I literally pondered if I should just sign it, check it, or mark it with an "X" for about five minutes. In the end, I just made one hell of a big check mark.

As far as HP is concerned, I completely agree. I'm going to be so bummed once I finish the final book. I didn't start reading the series until 2004 so I was quite content to just finish one book and immediately start in on the next. I was rather depressed once I finished the fifth and had to wait like everyone else for the sixth. Which book has been your favorite thus far? Most everyone seems like like the third the best, but I truly loved "Goblet of Fire".

Oddly enough, the moment I realized Columbia was the school for me was when a couple of current students and I started debating the death of Dumbledore. Any school that has a portion of the student body that passionate about Harry Potter is simply too awesome to pass up in my eyes. :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as HP is concerned, I completely agree. I'm going to be so bummed once I finish the final book. I didn't start reading the series until 2004 so I was quite content to just finish one book and immediately start in on the next. I was rather depressed once I finished the fifth and had to wait like everyone else for the sixth. Which book has been your favorite thus far? Most everyone seems like like the third the best, but I truly loved "Goblet of Fire".

Oddly enough, the moment I realized Columbia was the school for me was when a couple of current students and I started debating the death of Dumbledore. Any school that has a portion of the student body that passionate about Harry Potter is simply too awesome to pass up in my eyes. :love:

I started the series pretty recently too - November 2003 during the first semester of my freshman year. I had a light semester, so for three weeks that month all I did was read Harry Potter, one after the other - it was lovely :love:

Goblet has always been my fave too. I love that it's the "turning point" book. As such, it captures both the youthful wonder and innocent sense of adventure that dominated the first books, only to promptly extinguish that innocence forever by introducing the chilling specter of death into Harry's young life and forcing him to grow up all too soon. Harry and the books are never quite the same again...Dude, I soooo should write the blurb on the back of the book, huh? Lol, I can wax poetic about HP all the day long (especially when I have a midterm on Wednesday in a class I HATE!) Seriously, how am I supposed to study with this huge Columbia envelope on my desk demanding my attention??

Btw, since he's your namesake, do you think Snape is good? I'm on the fence personally. I really want him to be good, but I'm skeptical.

Sorry for totally hijacking this thread with my HP love! I do want to learn more about Columbia med, I promise! For example, this question:
I'll be at revisit, but what are current student's honest opinions on competitiveness at the school.
I'd love to hear the answer, current Columbia students. Related to this Q, do you think the level of competition increases signficantly second year when the grading system switches?

I received my acceptance yesterday evening :) I am excited, but I must admit I'm in a bit of a daze right now. I was so sure I wouldn't get in that I have already began preparing to go to Baylor. It's nice to have options, but I have a tuff decision to make soon.

Tuition is a major sticking point for me right now, so I'll have to get as much financial aid information as I can to try and get a real grasp of the final difference.

I received my acceptance yesterday evening :) I am excited, but I must admit I'm in a bit of a daze right now. I was so sure I wouldn't get in that I have already began preparing to go to Baylor. It's nice to have options, but I have a tuff decision to make soon.

Tuition is a major sticking point for me right now, so I'll have to get as much financial aid information as I can to try and get a real grasp of the final difference.

Welcome, Troy! Yah, I know how you feel about difficult choices. I was having a tough enough time deciding between two schools until this acceptance came along to throw another kink in the works! I'm not complaining though! :D

Our financial aid stuff is due next week, right? Hopefully this means they'll be able to give us our financial aid offers by early April, so we'll have time to compare packages and decide.

hey guys! accepted yesterday, and sev gave me a heads up about posting here...so hi everyone!

Hey 2011,

Congrats to all! :)

Regarding competitiveness...

So I believe are two kinds of competitiveness: positive and negative. Negative competitiveness is when someone tries to do better than his or her classmate by destructive means. No one here actively tries to sabotage a classmate for the sake of better grades. In fact, the class is quite good about sharing academic resources, and so we have access to tons of material that students make and then post on our class website (transcripts of lectures, study guides, drawings, helpful mnemonics, etc). What does happen (and often gets mistaken for competiveness) is that people study for exams, and our means tend to be high (mid to high 80s usually). I don't see that as being competition between classmates. I think people here are motivated and perhaps challenge themselves to do better and learn what needs to be learned - a competition with yourself, if you will, but not with each other. And while the student body studies hard for exams, a good contingent plays hard too. Many of us are involved in things outside of the classroom - research, sports, activism, teaching, community service, to name a few.

Second year, we go from P/F to H/P/F. Also, the second years have exams every two weeks, whereas the first years have exams every 6 weeks. So while first years can afford to take breaks between exam blocks and not have to study all the time, I've heard that second years study more consistently throughout the year. Does that mean comptition goes up? I think it's more a product of their having a very different exam schedule which necessitates having to study more regularly. Again, I think it's more that students are motivated to really learn their stuff so they can get out there and provide quality health care.

I hope that adequately addresses your concerns. If anything was unclear, let me know :)

Cheers,
Ivy

Does anyone know when the last day we must have chosen a school? I'm hoping it's after Columbia 2nd look weekend in the begining of April so that I will of had the chance to get a better look at both schools.

w00t!! I am definitely coming to revisit. I am so EXCITED!!!:D :D :D

Now all I have to do is plan where to live next year. I know... I know DrT, I shouldn't bring the cat, but I don't know if I want to dump another one on my mom (poor soul already has like 20). Then again, what's one more? :p :laugh:

Troy, you can only hold one acceptance after May 15th.

Lorienne... I WILL get back to you today about HP. The discussion will not die... I've been been frantically faxing and filling out fin aid paperwork. My dad was not pleased that we had to get all this stuff together by March 16. Oh well...

2 other questions:

1.) Are there any pre-MS1 research opportunities out there? Probably not, but you never know...

2.) Are you able to get housing in Bard Towers 2nd year if you did not live in Bard Hall during first year?

Thanks everyone!

2 other questions:

1.) Are there any pre-MS1 research opportunities out there? Probably not, but you never know...

2.) Are you able to get housing in Bard Towers 2nd year if you did not live in Bard Hall during first year?

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately no Towers housing 2nd year unless you live in Bard 1st year. For all the trash talking Bard gets, it's really a great way to get to know your classmates and definitely a worthwhile experience.

Got in P&S joy of joys, but still waiting to hear from Cornell. Can't quite get a fix on the two. Not sure I like the idea of Problem based and no lectures. Did I hear right Cornell has a quiz every Monday (great weekends)? Glimpse of P&S students looked like A&F catalogue: Seemed pretty All American, normal, very bright, fair number of jocks. Couldn't read Cornell as well. What are they like? The bricks and motar at Cornell are amazing--upper East Side, very Gucci. But what about the people? Cornell kept talking about how you get lost at P&S in that "huge" class of 150, where Cornell has 100.Does 50 more students make a difference? Everyone I met at Cornell seemed pretty subdued. Not much joie de vivre. Or was that just me? Cornell seemed to have high tech very well established: all charts done with EMR, but Columbia seemed not to have that as well in place. Couldn't really see much difference between life at Olin Hall and Bard Hall. Olin has been redone more recently. Third year, looked like more patients at Cornell speak English. P&S seems more inner city and rough and tumble. What do you think?

Congrats everyone!

2 other questions:

Pre-MS1 as in summer before you start? I don't know why you would want to... but if you really do, I'm sure you could flip through the back of that blue book you got on interview day, see if any research interests you, and email the principle investigator. There's no official program though.

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately no Towers housing 2nd year unless you live in Bard 1st year. For all the trash talking Bard gets, it's really a great way to get to know your classmates and definitely a worthwhile experience.

Well, you can't enter the Towers lottery without having lived in Bard. However, you can at any point live in the Towers if you find a posting about a vacancy. Several of our classmates live in the Towers this way. There will probably be posts here about that in a few months. But, yea, I agree with Vik, Bard has been cool.

So here's my next question:

I have no idea why the kind folks at P&S decided to admit me, though I strongly suspect it had something to do with the crack they were smoking during their admissions committee meeting ...

So let's say, given the extraordinary students this school attracts, I get there and never make honors and am ranked rather low down. Would that hurt me more than if I went to another school where I might be able to swing some honors, or yet another school that doesn't give out grades?

What are your thoughts? I'm terrified by this unexpected change of events.

2 other questions:

I vaguely remember an MS1 telling me when I was there that he did do research the summer before starting. I think arrangements can be made to move into Bard early if you do that. Don't quote me on this, though.

I have no idea why the kind folks at P&S decided to admit me, though I strongly suspect it had something to do with the crack they were smoking during their admissions committee meeting ...

So let's say, given the extraordinary students this school attracts, I get there and never make honors and am ranked rather low down. Would that hurt me more than if I went to another school where I might be able to swing some honors, or yet another school that doesn't give out grades?

Cubbie,

I also cannot get over the feeling that there must be some mistake...that the wrong letter was mailed to me. Like you, I wonder how well prepared I am for the challenge ahead, compared to my fellow applicants (soon-to-be classmates). But, they admitted you. It is a crazy mix of hard work and good fortune that opened this door. If Columbia is where you want to go, then run with it, and make the most of the opportunity. You will struggle wherever you decide to go to school (State, private, large or small school...all of us will struggle for at least some, if not all, of our time in school). Most students who stick with it will graduate. And think, if you feel really challenged in school, maybe it will push you to do that much better on the step 1.

Maybe I should take my own advice too, and stop thinking about how I will measure up when compared to my classmates. I think that you will do best where you are happiest, wherever you think that might be.

This probably doesn't help, but I thought I would let you know that you are not alone. Good luck with your decision. Maybe I'll see you in the library. :)

Cubbie,

I also cannot get over the feeling that there must be some mistake...that the wrong letter was mailed to me. Like you, I wonder how well prepared I am for the challenge ahead, compared to my fellow applicants (soon-to-be classmates). But, they admitted you. It is a crazy mix of hard work and good fortune that opened this door. If Columbia is where you want to go, then run with it, and make the most of the opportunity. You will struggle wherever you decide to go to school (State, private, large or small school...all of us will struggle for at least some, if not all, of our time in school). Most students who stick with it will graduate. And think, if you feel really challenged in school, maybe it will push you to do that much better on the step 1.

Maybe I should take my own advice too, and stop thinking about how I will measure up when compared to my classmates. I think that you will do best where you are happiest, wherever you think that might be.

This probably doesn't help, but I thought I would let you know that you are not alone. Good luck with your decision. Maybe I'll see you in the library. :)

Thanks, kouhiiko -- this was really nice to read. The great sense I got during my visit to the school is that Columbia works particularly hard at finding quality people to fill their class, and not just quality stats. I really shouldn't sell myself short. And even if everyone is heads and shoulders above me, as long as they're friendly (which they seemed to be during my visit), I'm sure I can cope. I really do hope that I end up at Columbia, and I hope to see you all there!

Hmmm... I might have to scope some PI's... it all really depends on when I'm able to leave my job. If I have to train someone, I don't think I'll be able to head up early.

But, cubbie, you are not alone in thinking that. I look at my letter just about everyday because I keep thinking that they sent it to the wrong person. I have no clue why they picked me, but I'm glad that they did. I just hope that I can keep up with everyone. :oops:

I'm new to SDN, although I followed it pretty closely when I was applying/interviewing (much less closely when I was feeling anxious though). Anyway, I'm amongst those lucky people who were accepted for 2011! I'm so excited. I'm originally from Oregon but have been in NY for about three years now. Just wanted to drop a line and say hi to any future classmates out there.

Has anyone received anything in response to the accept/decline admissions form?

I'm being neurotic but I've not heard a peep... and I'm starting to wonder if I really did put a gigantic "X" on the top line. :eek: :rolleyes:

I'll probably call tomorrow and see what is up.

I hand delivered mine 3/5 and I got an acknowledgment letter yesterday dated 3/8.

Cubbbie, I was in your shoes last year about this time. Trust me, Columbia would not have admitted you if they didn't think you could excel here. The worst decision you could ever make is deciding now to attend because you THINK you could not make it here! PM me if you have anymore questons!

Thanks so much, Dr. Funke. I'm starting to feel better about this, but I'll PM you if I have another panic attack. Man, I just love all my lovely cyber friends here on SDN. What a great site!

For those who are flying to 2nd look -- I think I remember it starts around 10:30 am on Thursday. Are you all flying in that morning, or you going to try to find a place to stay the night before?

I can't answer that question as I'm not flying in, but -- more importantly -- what are all of you doing Friday night? Festivities end around 2 pm and even though I've got a couple of friends coming in to party it would be fun to have some other SDNers/revisitors join us for a night on the town.

I can't answer that question as I'm not flying in, but -- more importantly -- what are all of you doing Friday night? Festivities end around 2 pm and even though I've got a couple of friends coming in to party it would be fun to have some other SDNers/revisitors join us for a night on the town.

I'd be down for that. I actually booked a hotel for the weekend for a little weekend family vacation, but my fam's not getting to NYC until very late on Friday.

i'm sure you guys would be welcome to come out with us friday night also if you don't have anything to do.

All right, one decision's finally been made - I'm definitely going to second look! I just faxed the form. Now, back to all this lovely financial aid stuff :thumbdown:

All right, one decision's finally been made - I'm definitely going to second look! I just faxed the form. Now, back to all this lovely financial aid stuff :thumbdown:

Ugh... I know. I'm just about to fedex them my Student form, and all my components on the FAFSA are complete; I just have to continue to nag my dad until he finishes his crap. I hate this. I wish I could just send in my portion of FAFSA to get them started.

Is there an hour by hour schedule for the revisit?

Haha... crack. That's funny :) Anyways, Columbia is a great school. One of the reasons why people want to get into great schools that are highly ranked (i.e. have lots of research money) is because you get into better residencies afterwards. Columbia students have a very strong history of matching into the most competitive residencies... so I would say that, in general, even ranking low at Columbia will get you farther than ranking high at a different school. But that's just my (biased) opinion.

Another great thing about Columbia is that you are meeting so many important people who are doing cutting edge research - connections that don't have anything to do with how many medical facts you know, but will none-the-less play an important part in deciding your future career.

It might be a bit of a slap to your ego to go from the top of your class to middle, or even bottom, but I think the quality of education and the great exposure to awesome surgeons/faculty/researchers is totally worth it.

Has Columbia's 2007 match list become available yet? If so, could someone post a link to it? Thanks in advance!