Columbia University - Housing/Apts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ms Sweetheart

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering what everyone's doing for housing? Applied for Columbia's on-campus or looking off-campus? I know on the other thread, someone mentioned that the Towers are the best accomodations. However, I believe the Towers are usually 3/4 person suites. I personally prefer a studio or a 1 bedroom, or at the most 1 other roommate.

And also, does anyone know if we can ask Columbia's housing assistant for off-campus housing help now? Or is that resource only for waitlisted students who can't get on-campus?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied for on-campus housing, but I don't mind as much the 3/4 person living apartments. I know that on-campus there are a few other buildings that accomodate more towards studios/1-br.
I don't know if you have facebook or what not, but there are a few people talking about living off-campus, more towards the upper west side/the morningside campus. I know that the OCHA is available for anyone, even though it says you need a UNI, all you have to do is email the housing people and they will want proof that you were admitted to the university, and they will provide you with a temporary user name/password.

I'm just wondering what everyone's doing for housing? Applied for Columbia's on-campus or looking off-campus? I know on the other thread, someone mentioned that the Towers are the best accomodations. However, I believe the Towers are usually 3/4 person suites. I personally prefer a studio or a 1 bedroom, or at the most 1 other roommate.

And also, does anyone know if we can ask Columbia's housing assistant for off-campus housing help now? Or is that resource only for waitlisted students who can't get on-campus?

Thanks!

At the admitted student's day last Friday, during the housing presentation, they said in early July they have a bunch of brokers come out and help all the people who were placed on the waitlist for housing find apartments.

If they offer that, I am sure they could point you in the right direction now to the brokers they use.

I decided not to apply for housing, I'm lowest priority anyway as I already live in NYC and decided to save that expense by living with family.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was at the admitted students' day last Fri too! Thanks guys for the info. I think I'll just wait for that brokers' fair rather than looking on my own.

when is the brokers day? ...I missed the admitted students' day.

when is the brokers day? ...I missed the admitted students' day.

I don't remember if they gave out a specific date, I do remember them saying early July they have the brokers fair.

I don't remember if they gave out a specific date, I do remember them saying early July they have the brokers fair.

I wrote down July 7th for the broker's fair, but you can contact the housing office and they'll tell you.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

Hey all,

I am currently a first year at Columbia Mailman School of Public Health, and I was in the same situation last summer... I definitely recommend going to the Broker's Fair, but be on the lookout for roommates, not just apartments. It's a lot cheaper to find some good roommates and team up to find a place with multiple bedrooms. I'd also recommend biting the bullet and using a realtor... they have no incentive to screw you over and I've heard that Craig's list down here is questionable.

That being said, if any of you are interested in coming down to New York early, I'll be subletting my bedroom (it's in a 3-bed apartment I share with another public health student and a dental student) for the summer, when I'll be completing my practicum for school. It's fully furnished, as is the apartment as a whole, and will be available from June 1st through August 15th, though you will only be responsible for rent for June and July. Rent is $820 (with some room for negotiation), and all utilities are included or will be taken care of (including wi-fi). Importantly, at the corner of 170th and Fort Washington, it's literally two minutes from CUMC and the School of Public Health, as well as from major trains to go downtown. Laundry is in the building, and it's secure. Just one block from a grocery store.

I'd be glad to give you more details or send you pictures, feel free to email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Hey current students,

I'm starting MPH at Columbia this fall and am so pumped for it!

Looking at different housing options recently but preferring the on campus studios, I know Georgian and 152 Haven have 1-person studios. Have I left out any others?

How many students stay in each of these residences and which one would you recommend? Would like to be close to Bard Hall so I could make the most of the gym and pool there.

Your advice is appreciated!

Chriskyk