Columbia Updated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys the website has been updated and scheldue is up! check it out! see you guys soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, Star!

I'm crossing over to the Columbia side to see how you're doin'. Just found out that I have a private bedroom! Such a relief. IT's a perfect set-up: 2 private rooms, with a shared kitchen, bathroom, living area.

Good luck with your move!

By the way, I can't log into my old user ID so I had to add an additional "_" to my name. Talk to you later...

Hey Guys,

Although the schedule is up, it doesn't really tell us how each week is in terms of tests and stuff. I'm thinking more along the lines of if we have friends or family that want to visit, which weeks are best in the fall and spring.

The orientation sounds pretty good! Looking forward to seeing you all there.

By the way, PiGuy, where you staying? I'm in Georgian!

Bucky

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha....no, I'm not going to Columbia. I meant to say that I was crossing over to the Columbia thread to say hi. I'm headin' to NYU...just a subway ride away...

Dear God, I don't think there's any NY teams I like. Knicks suck, Mets are boring, and I hope the Yankees don't win again. I hope NY cable will carry Chicago games...

Hey Pi Guy! you can always watch Columbia Games hahaha :) I use be a Knick's fan... but not so into professional sports as before :) Yeah we're just a subway ride away we should definately hang out or something :) It'll be fun! When are you getting to NY?

Bucky, I figured out how to check webmail so if you need it I'll send you the web address :) Orientation sounds great, especially that shoping tour...too bad we're all broke :(
When are you arriving in NY? I am going on a long road trip :)
BTW i think we only have a few days off of classes, labor day and thanksgiving :( I don't know what those religious holidays are but I don't think we get it off. Have you found out who you're living with yet?

Star :)

Hey guys...

You guys remind me of myself when I couldnt wait to go to dental school last fall.....hehe. Dont worry about your schedules yet.....there is plenty of time to worry about that once school starts.

As for the orientation, I am part of the committee, so I will be seeing you guys come this august..... Just relax and enjoy the summer while you guys are at home.....you will miss it once you move here. :oops:

Hey PiGuy,

Sorry... didn't realize that you were NYU! Yeah... we're pretty close, so we can hang out, like Star said.

Stargirl,

I sent you an e-mail.

Doggie,

Looking forward to meeting you at orientation. It sounds great!

Bucky

Star:

My dad has to work during orientation week,so I'm flying in w/ my mom Saturday August 17th. I'm not packing anything so we're goin' on a huge shopping spree. Speaking of shopping sprees, Columbia takes you guys on a shopping tour? I wonder if I can somehow sneak in...

When are you heading over to NY?

Bucky I sent you an email back :)

Pi Guy, I am going to NY Aug 1st, but driving from Ca so it's going to take over a week...but I am going to Philly first, then going to head to NY on Aug 20th. :)
We should definately meet up somewhere :) Maybe at a columbia vs nyu game? :D

Doggie, did you go to UCLA? just wondering since it says you're from LA :) If you did yay GO BRUINS, and if you went to the other school booooo :p

Stargirl,

Actually................................GO CAL! :D Sorry....didnt go to UCLA, but I lived about 40 minutes away......near Torrance.

Wow, you are driving all the way from cali. That's gonna be one heck of a drive! Hope you have a blast during your 3000 mile road trip!

I will be looking forward to seeing all of you during orientation. Just be sure to come up and say hi to me. I will be one of the only tall asian guy there with spikey hair.......shouldnt be too hard to spot me out from the crowd. (actually, all asians from LA are tall and have spikey hair......heheh) :D

Hey Doggie,

hmm you don't happen to have a sister that goes to UCLA that's in APO? Just wondering =)

We'll the trip might be on hold...my friend just got into USC so he has to decide where he wants to go first =)

haha and you're right about the tall asians in LA... it must be the water :)

Stargirl...

Sorry.....the only affiliation that i have with UCLA is only the "UC" part cuz we are all part of the regents...hehe. Oh well......at least we'll all be part of the columbia lions! :D

Doggie~ aw it's too bad, you would have loved being a Bruin :p
hey do you know anything bout Bard hall? Is there a shared Kitchen?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Doggie,

Did you stay in Georgian residence first year? If so, did you share a double room with someone, or know someone who did. I wanted to know how big the space is, and privacy, etc. I have to share with someone in a 3 person suite.

Thanks,

Bucky

hey, just wondering which events y'all are going to.

all of 'em look good except I'm not too sure about the yankees game... baseball games are a bit boring, but then again i've only gone to minor league games.

terry

i think i am going to most, but probably passing on the yankee's game too...never been to any prof game but I think the time can be spent better =) with the other events =)

Buckyball......... I dont live in Georgian, but I dont think you will hate the place too much. The rooms are very spacious and if you get lucky, you will get the completely refurnished apts. Pretty much the only complaints that my friends have of the place are no AC and bad noise insulation. I think it is one of the better dorms here....since it is big and so close to the classrooms....directly across the street! Just be glad that you dont live in Bard! hahaha.

Dont mean to scare you all, but most of the cliques in dental school ( at least for my class) form in during the orientation week. All the people who attend the orientation events pretty much hang out together........those that dont go out hang out by themselves.... kinda weirds, but pretty much all works out.

wahhhhh i am living in Bard :confused: :( :( :(
i will make the best of it tho... sniff sniff :(

Hey, it's nice to see that you're finally post in the forum again. I'm dying with the DAT stuff. I've forgotten all the chemistry so I have to study super hard. My roomate and I have been wondering where have you been and how are u doing.
We are having a good time here in SF when we are not too stressed out. My roomate is really nice to me. Who will be your roomate?
Tink
:oops:

Hey Tinker

I am sorry, just keep studying and trust me if you know the practice exam stuff you will do ok on the exam... just KNOW the concept for OCHEM and Gchem!! (and keep studying)... don't worry bout much else and just do your best, this is too important! I am glad you and your roommate get along... I hope she's doing well (and you too) Did she get into USC yet? I know people are still getting in... my friend just got in and he's turning it down on monday =)

Good luck

Star =)

Hey, Star!

Thanks, I just have to study for ochem and gchem and then I will be all set...We'll take the test in the middle of august. Glad to hear that things work out for u. My roomate didn't hear anything from usc yet:(
Tink

Hey Doggie,

Thanks for your reply... I hope Georgian is all that it says it is!

Also, thanks for your advice about Orientation week. I was planning on going to all the events anyways.

Hey Star,

Don't worry about Bard, girl! It'll all be good!

Bucky

Hey guys and gals. Just found this site. Man, it would have been nice to have known about this during applications. I'm joining you all this August at Columbia and figured I'd say hi. I think I may have even met a couple of you at interview. Stargirl, did you interview on March 1st, by any chance. Gisele (if you're still checking out the forum), it's cool we're gonna be classmates. We definitely met at interview. I'm the one who got a masters and was teaching the DAT thru Kaplan. Looks like you chose Columbia over NYU too. Here's to making the right choice.:clap: :clap: :clap: (Let's hope.) :)

Anyway, looks like most of you decided to dorm. Being from NY, I didn't even bother applying for housing. I hope that wasn't a mistake. My commute shouldn't be longer than 15 minutes, but there's still something about dorming, and study groups... Doggies, what do you think?

Only one month to go, and it doesn't seem like it can go by fast enough, does it? Let's hope that feeling isn't any stronger come late April.:eek:

Well, see you all soon enough.

And Buckyball, anyone who quotes the Simpsons in their signature has my utmost respect. :)

nycdds... we definitely have to hit the bar in NYC! Thanks for the respect... Simpsons, you gotta love them!

Time is flying by sooo quickly, but, I'm sure it'll be good! Oh, and Stargirl interviewed in February, not March.

ARe you living at home, or renting outside of campus?

Talk to you soon!

Bucky

nycdds, yeah i interviewed mid feb...sorry =( maybe i met u at another interview... i went to 10 (i know i know i was being stupid and wasted a ton of money...should have stopped when I got into Columbia huh?)

I LOVE THE SIMPSONS TOO =) IT'S ON 3 TIMES A WEEKDAY HERE YAY :clap:

homer is my idol!!!!!!!! hehehehe :)
star

Bucky,

I am renting on the upper west side. Home is in queens, but my sister commuted when she was at NYU Dental, which is much closer than Columbia, and she warned me against it. Seems like I may be getting the best of both worlds. Close enough to home to get some home cooked meals and access to a car once in a while, yet on my own and closer to school in my hole in the wall studio apartment. Then there's the whole issue of money, but hey, what's another 10 grand in loans. We'll be making it all back soon enough...Well, ok, not that soon, but eventually. :D

Hey all!

I am going to follow suit and say hi to everyone before we all meet during our fun-filled week of Orientation. I have been a long-time reader of SDN, but a first-time poster....never got around to registering. :(

Even though I'm actually a native New Yorker, I have lived elsewhere for the last 7 years. But now I'm back and my folks are psyched, even though I'm not living at home. I lucked out and have been assigned a 3-person suite in the Bard-Haven Towers, which I heard was nice. So now I'm back in NYC, hard for me to believe...guess everyone hates the Yankees? I've always been a Mets fan.

Yeah, it does feel like these months are dragging, but I'm sure I wont be thinking that when we are swamped with all the work. All in all, we should work together to make it a fun and rewarding 4 years? :cool:

Look forward to meeting you all! :D

JPlay

Hey nycdds....we have several kids in my class that commute. They dont really seem to mind it as much, but I think it would tend to be a pain in the neck just to have to wake up early and get ready for school.......cuz we already dont get enough sleep as it is. :rolleyes: Also...you might have to spend long hours in the labs in the evenings.....so it would be really late by the time you get home.

Living in you area does have it advantage: IT IS NOT GHETTO LIKE WASHINGTON HEIGHTS!!!! :p **those of you not familiar with manhattan will appreciate this comment once you live here**

Doggie: Thanx for the response. I hope 15 minutes doesn't make too much of a difference either in the morning or at nite. Though, man, I do loves my morning sleep. :(

JPlay: Cool, another NY'er. Yankees rule! :p What part of the city are you from? And how did you manage to sneak into Bard-Haven Towers? The financial aid rep at interview said it was practically impossible to get in there, especially if you're from NY. Man, maybe I should've applied for housing.:mad: Oh well. :)

Star: Doubt we've met if not at Columbia. I only went to 3 interviews, the other 2 being NYU and SUNY Stonybrook. Stonybrook had only NY applicants the day I interviewed. Maybe NYU, though there were only 3 or 4 women out of 14! applicants at that interview day. But, we'll be meeting in less than a month, so :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bucky: Never responded to the bar idea. I am down. Though a born and bred NY'er, I was in Boston for 6 years, so I am lookin' forward to exploring the city again. I've been back since March, so I've already found a couple of nice hotspots, though they would fall more under the category of lounges than bars. Hey, gotta be a little chic when partying in NYC. ;) Let's just hope the partyin' is not completely limited to orientation week. :D

Hey, does anybody golf?

I'm working at a driving range and getting plenty of practice...
but i need to find some buds to play with, and not to mention tell me how to get there!

terry

Some replies to your posts...

nycdds: I'm down with anything... and one must work hard, and equally as important is to play hard! I think anyone who goes to NYC for school and doesn't get around the hot spots isn't truly enjoying their experience!

JPlay: still waiting for your PM man!

tj_lee: I like to go to the driving range, though I haven't been for a while. If you don't mind having to teach me to golf, I'm game!

Also, to anyone going to Columbia, who likes to workout... I mean serious weights, etc. Let me know! I'll definitely be looking for someone to keep me company... and for spotting!

Bucky

nycdds: You have to give me the heads up on some of the good lounges to hang at. Tho I've been here for about 1 year, I only found a few decent places. Fav lounges: Evelyn's lounge, Lot 61, Soho Grand, APT. Fav clubs: dunno....cuz I usually go to lounges....feel too old to be dancing.....hehe.

Bucky: I'm sure I'll be seeing a lot of you at the gym this coming fall. Just hope that my classes this year wont be as hectic as people have mentioned.

Nycdds, I'm from Flushing, Queens.....went to Bronx Science for high school. But I guess the secret to getting housing priority for me was that I have been working in the DC area for the last three years. Thus, they considered me as an out-of-towner, but how I snuck into the Towers, I don't know. Maybe by some miracle, they noticed the tiny note I put down in the housing app, saying I preferred university apts? :confused:

tj_lee, I picked up golf last summer and purchased a nice set of Taylor Made clubs :p They have some nice courses in the DC area, but I don't know of many in NY. The only driving range I know of is at Chelsea Piers and I heard it was damn expensive. My NY friends tell me they go out to Long Island and Connecticut to play. How long have you been playing? I would love to take some lessons when i get the chance, but so far, I've learned alongside coworkers.

JPlay,
Wow. Astoria, Queens here. And also from Bronx Science. You've been working for 3 years? Does that mean you graduated college in 99 and Bronx Science in 95??? Cause if that's the case, we've been classmates before. Bronx Science '95. Woohoo! I'll PM you more details. :)

Doggie,
Among my favorites would have to be the Hudson Cafe, in the Hudson Hotel. Especially now in the summer, they have an outdoor area. Lots of well-dressed, beautiful people.

Merchants is a nice cozier place. They basement is great particularly in the winter as they have sofa seating and a fireplace.

Eugene's is a club/lounge. And Thursday nights there are great. They often have promo events through For Him magazine and even modeling agencies and Playboy, so again, lots of beautiful people. I missed it last nite unfortunately, but they had a lingerie fashion show with Elite and Playboy models! :D

Pravda, in the village gets a nice crowd, though I find it a little stuffy cause it's in a basement and gets a LOT of people.

Tao is a great place for some japanese food, but after 11, kitchen's closed and it's a great night spot for drinks and people watching.

Seems like most of the places you mentioned are in the village. The village is nice, but tends to get a younger, college age crowd. For the more sophisticated mid-to-late twenties and thirties crowd, you gotta venture into midtown. Most of the places I mention above are midtown. Let me know if you would like addresses. :)

i am the youngest here? i feel intimidated...

hey bucky, I don't mind helping you out, but I'm not too good myself...

today, I hit over 6 large buckets (thank god its free, cause I'm working there) working to fix my slice with my driver.

Hey Jball, just ran into a guy from long island actually...and he said the same, and he mentioned bethpage black. I've been playing for over 3 yrs, but I still yet to break a hundred.
I'm pretty good up to my 6 iron, but then after that I'm pretty inconsistent.

anway, I'm pretty excited about working at the range, since my coworkers are instructors part time and another is on the tulane golf team.

well, look forward to orientation week,
terry

Nycdds, sent you back a PM.

hey everyone! it's been quite a long time since i've visited this forum! been doing a lot of travelling, so i've finally come home and have finally gotten over jetlag!

looks like i've missed out on a lot while i've been away....everyone seems pretty well acquainted with each other already! well in any case, i'm excited to meet you all soon. =)

nycdds: i remember you from the interview day! i was sure you were going to pick nyu, like your sister did! hahaha.....well that's awesome we'll be classmates! by the way, your suggestions for nyc lounges were quite excellent! i've been to all the places you suggested quite a few times and had a blast everytime. i must say though, my favorite lounge/bar is "the park." have you been there before? ohhhh, i miss new york! i can't wait to go back....only 2 more weeks! =)

gisele,

Hi! And welcome back. You think you're surprised at my having chosen Columbia? I'm still wondering where that decision came from. :p hehe. I think ultimately it came down to whether I want to specialize or not. I still don't know, but Columbia certainly leaves the door much more open if I do. And the specialties I am considering right now are the harder ones, OMS, ortho, and perio, which means Columbia is a huge plus. Had a big talk with my sister too, and unlike your NYU dentist friend, she feels that NYU is really up and coming as they have been pouring lots of money into facilities and the dvd curriculum and so on. But she agreed that when it comes to specializing, Columbia's reputation can't be beat. So here I am. Columbia SDOS 2006. :clap: :clap: :clap: There's no looking back now. :cool:

I get the impression that since you are back in Ohio, that you have moved out of your midtown apartment and will be dorming it? And here I thought that I would be sharing the misery of commuting and breaking into study groups from off-campus with SOMEBODY. *sob* *sob* What can ya do... At least I am closer to all the lounges. :p We should hit em up some time. I haven't been to "the park", so we could start there. ;)

What's up all, haven't been on in a while, busy trying to have fun before the chaos starts. I still am waiting on the housing situation, it seems that I probably have to commute, at least until somehtig opens up. For those of you living in the on campus housing when do you guys move in and get into town, make sure to let me know I would love to hang out and meet you guys when ever that is. NYC is a lot of fun and I think we are all going to have a great time, can't wait to meet all of you and try and relax before all th craziness starts!!

nycdds;

unfortunately, i was stuck with the worst housing option i could have possibly gotten......yup, you guessed it! bard!!! hahaha....sounds like you've arranged yourself a nice housing situation! 15 minutes commute is not bad at all.....when i first read that you were commuting, i was thinking, "man, he's going to commute from queens like his sister?!" but then i read on and was enlightened...=) i'm down for hitting up "the park" anytime. i hope you'll like it as much as i do....=)

stargirl: looks like i'll be toughing it out with ya in bard! =) i really hope it isn't as bad as everyone seems to say it is....you're from california, right? are you planning on moving in on aug. 20th?

Hey Guys I am leaving for my cross country trip in a few mins! Just had to come on and say goodbye and (I should be back on in about 9-10 days) but if not then I can't wait to meet you all :)

gisele~ don't worry bard can't be that bad...and if it is we'll just have to make it better ;)

bucky and NYNole~ check your PM

ONE MORE QUESTION~
when is the next housing payingment due? i don't want to miss it...
thanks guys! okie leaving now byebye

tall spiky hair asian? I guess I must not have found you during orientation....