Rutgers (IS) vs Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rh2k20

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. So to begin I want to preface that I was accepted into Rutgers and I have been waitlisted at Columbia. I am trying to decide if I should send a letter of intent to Columbia. As far as price goes, my parents will be paying for my dental school, but I do not want to spend their money without putting proper thought into this decision.

Columbia:
Pros:
- P/F - lower stress and less competition between students
- High specialty match rate - though I have no clue if I want to specialize since I have not even picked up a handpiece yet.
- In NYC
Cons:
- Price and higher COL
- Clinical education not great

Rutgers:
Pros:
- Friends go there
- Cheaper
- Ranked and GPA
- Great clinical education
Cons:
- Facilities felt a little dated

Overall I think both schools are great, but I don't want to regret my choice. I would be really appreciative if anyone could provide me with more insite into this decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. So to begin I want to preface that I was accepted into Rutgers and I have been waitlisted at Columbia. I am trying to decide if I should send a letter of intent to Columbia. As far as price goes, my parents will be paying for my dental school, but I do not want to spend their money without putting proper thought into this decision.

Columbia:
Pros:
- High specialty match rate - though I have no clue if I want to specialize since I have not even picked up a handpiece yet.
- In NYC
Cons:
- Price and higher COL

Rutgers:
Pros:
- Friends go there
- Cheaper
- Ranked and GPA
Cons:

Overall I think both schools are great, but I don't want to regret my choice. I would be really appreciative if anyone could provide me with more insite into this decision.
cheaper

Reactions: 1 user
I would pick Rutgers because they picked you. They saw something that made you stand out from all the other applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rutgers clinics were new in 2020! They’re beautiful. Are you talking about the sim lab? Dude, who cares about that. Clinic is what matters.

I could get to NYC in about 30-45 minutes with public transit from my flat in Newark. Light rail to Penn station. Penn to Penn. Easy.

Newark rent is less than $1000/month for a 1 bedroom.

If your parents are willing to pay, it’s coming from a pot. A pot you are likely inheriting or getting gifted. It’s not infitinte money. If you take it now, there will be less for later. Don’t blow it on stupid Columbia.

My friends and I all specialized in what we wanted. At Rutgers a lot of people don’t want to specialize, that’s why their match numbers aren’t as high.

Reactions: 6 users
I don't get it. You want to go to a place that is more expensive but gives you an inferior education? What am I missing?
but but but but "prestigious"...

If you truly want to be an excellent general dentist and still have a good chance to specialize then pick Rutgers. I have friends that went to both schools and their clinical requirements are not even close... I do have to say though you will be a lot more stressed at Rutgers since they really focus heavily on restorative and the didactic science portion isn't exactly a walk in the park either...
As someone who wanted to specialize, getting my butt kicked to finish 19 crowns and 12 dentures and 6 root canals was an absolute nightmare. I think too many requirements is sometimes an issues

Columbia:
Pros:
- In NYC
Cons:
- Price and higher COL

Rutgers:
Pros:
- Friends go there
- Cheaper
- Ranked and GPA
Cons:

I'm just a naive D1 at Columbia and but wanted to touch on some of the points you mentioned. You are right in that there's much lower stress due to no ranking, but regarding the high specialty match rate I personally believe that's less about "prestige" or name-brand than the type of students our place attracts. The school name is worthless if your CBSE score is 50 if you were interested in OMFS, for example, and I believe 95% of your residency application is based off what you do, not where you come from. And I know NYC sounds great and all, but I think the honeymoon phase will quickly pass after a month or two once you see your tuition and rent.

In my opinion: go to the cheapest school. If it's Rutgers, great. I truly believe it's one of the best schools in the NE. But regardless of where you go you'll only truly "regret it" if you don't do the best you can during your four years there.

Reactions: 1 users