-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Columbia Visit Days 2011!
Started by sf318
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey sf! I posted mine in this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=807038
Do take it with a grain of salt though 🙂 It really depends on the individual.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=807038
Do take it with a grain of salt though 🙂 It really depends on the individual.
I think it really does depend on the department and the individual.
I was accepted to the Forced Migration and Health program in the Pop Fam Department and I was really impressed during the visit day. (BTW, Forced Migration is 2 years, and most if not all tracks in Pop Fam are 2 years, so duration of program is track-specific).
I wasn't able to attend the Financial Aid and Housing sessions (although I've seen the guy who spoke about financial aid speak about it at the Open House sessions), but the Pop Fam Departmental meeting was fantastic. We had the head of the department, several professors, a couple of alumni and some current students all join us to talk about why they choose to be at Columbia and how they've felt about their experiences.
When the professors spoke of their interests and passions, they lined up perfectly with my own and it confirmed that this was the right place for me. A lot of profs came from Hopkins or Harvard, so they were able to point out the differences from that perspective. If anyone is interested specifically in how the Pop Fam Dept sold itself, feel free to message me for more details.
We then split into the specific tracks and had more time to talk with the profs and students. Again, I was really impressed with the prof and the students I talked with and definitely felt it was the right place for me.
The Pop Fam faculty seemed really friendly and approachable and got along really well. The faculty and the students stressed the "family" feel of the department and said they think they feel this more than any other department.
The Pop Fam department had handouts listing where students had been placed during their practicums, and where their students had work and I think where their alumni are now working. And judging from the alumni that joined us, they stay very connected.
About job placement, the second year students all said that a lot of the professors they had gotten to know and work with over the years were all extremely helpful in finding jobs for after graduation. And even if the official Career Services wasn't very helpful (that seemed to be the consensus), people within the department, professors and academic advisors, were very helpful.
Once we finished with our departments, everyone joined together again and someone asked if they would feel like "just a number" being at a big school like Mailman. The answer was, you get out what you put in. Professors are more than happy to meet with you, during office hours or appointments, but you have to be the one to contact them first. You have to be pro-active. So if what you want is lots of interaction with profs, then go for it, and you'll get it. If, on the other hand, you just want to get in, do your work, get out, then you can do that as well. Your experience is what you make of it. I went to a large state school for undergrad, so makes total sense to me and I feel completely comfortable with it. If this idea makes you nervous, then Columbia's probably not the place for you.
Of course, the big drawback of Columbia is the price tag and there's no way around it. Classes are expensive, NYC is expensive and Columbia isn't very helpful. The financial aid guy really does honestly seem to be eager to help in anyway possible, even though it might not be much. His advice to network and have people know who you are and what you want, is just good advice in general, for scholarships and jobs. Not that it can guarantee anything, but it's a good place to start.
If anyone wants to message me about the Pop Fam department or the Forced Migration and Health track, feel free!
I was accepted to the Forced Migration and Health program in the Pop Fam Department and I was really impressed during the visit day. (BTW, Forced Migration is 2 years, and most if not all tracks in Pop Fam are 2 years, so duration of program is track-specific).
I wasn't able to attend the Financial Aid and Housing sessions (although I've seen the guy who spoke about financial aid speak about it at the Open House sessions), but the Pop Fam Departmental meeting was fantastic. We had the head of the department, several professors, a couple of alumni and some current students all join us to talk about why they choose to be at Columbia and how they've felt about their experiences.
When the professors spoke of their interests and passions, they lined up perfectly with my own and it confirmed that this was the right place for me. A lot of profs came from Hopkins or Harvard, so they were able to point out the differences from that perspective. If anyone is interested specifically in how the Pop Fam Dept sold itself, feel free to message me for more details.
We then split into the specific tracks and had more time to talk with the profs and students. Again, I was really impressed with the prof and the students I talked with and definitely felt it was the right place for me.
The Pop Fam faculty seemed really friendly and approachable and got along really well. The faculty and the students stressed the "family" feel of the department and said they think they feel this more than any other department.
The Pop Fam department had handouts listing where students had been placed during their practicums, and where their students had work and I think where their alumni are now working. And judging from the alumni that joined us, they stay very connected.
About job placement, the second year students all said that a lot of the professors they had gotten to know and work with over the years were all extremely helpful in finding jobs for after graduation. And even if the official Career Services wasn't very helpful (that seemed to be the consensus), people within the department, professors and academic advisors, were very helpful.
Once we finished with our departments, everyone joined together again and someone asked if they would feel like "just a number" being at a big school like Mailman. The answer was, you get out what you put in. Professors are more than happy to meet with you, during office hours or appointments, but you have to be the one to contact them first. You have to be pro-active. So if what you want is lots of interaction with profs, then go for it, and you'll get it. If, on the other hand, you just want to get in, do your work, get out, then you can do that as well. Your experience is what you make of it. I went to a large state school for undergrad, so makes total sense to me and I feel completely comfortable with it. If this idea makes you nervous, then Columbia's probably not the place for you.
Of course, the big drawback of Columbia is the price tag and there's no way around it. Classes are expensive, NYC is expensive and Columbia isn't very helpful. The financial aid guy really does honestly seem to be eager to help in anyway possible, even though it might not be much. His advice to network and have people know who you are and what you want, is just good advice in general, for scholarships and jobs. Not that it can guarantee anything, but it's a good place to start.
If anyone wants to message me about the Pop Fam department or the Forced Migration and Health track, feel free!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh, we talked about the 2012 curriculum as well. Pretty much, for people starting in 2011, it won't affect us at all. For people starting in 2012- it's new, it's probably not perfect, but they've put a lot of time and effort working with all parties to make something that should be better than what they have now and it will be the student who is drawn to this interdisciplinary learning style that will be attracted to Columbia to try it out. As far as I can tell, it's taking the core classes and molding them into something that's more applicable for all of them (like using epi and biostats together), and also exposing you to the other departments and their people, so that the solutions can be addressed from several perspectives. I think it's a cool idea and wouldn't mind being a guinea pig for it, but I rather start in 2011, so I'll be in the old curriculum.
Don't quote me on this. It's just my rough understanding. Again, the main point they stressed was that the 2012 curriculum isn't going to affect the incoming class of 2011 at all.
Don't quote me on this. It's just my rough understanding. Again, the main point they stressed was that the 2012 curriculum isn't going to affect the incoming class of 2011 at all.
Oh, we talked about the 2012 curriculum as well. Pretty much, for people starting in 2011, it won't affect us at all.
Actually its gonna have a bigger affect on us than you think... First of all, we have to take all five required courses our first semester (where as typically students take 3-4). The professors and students who I spoke with expressed that this is a pretty huge load and that working at the same time most likely wont be possible unless you are superhuman. The students who I spoke with about this course load said that she didnt think it was possible to do successfully. THEN it was also pointed out that we will only be taking 6 credits our last semester which according to school policy, will classify us as "Part-time" students which will have all sorts of implications on financial aid qualifications, scholarships, and housing.
I am honestly debating looking into deferring for a year so we dont have to deal with all this red tape. It just sounds like a mess. 🙁
I hear that. It might be a mess. But if 500 people are going through the mess together, then you have 499 other people to complain with!
In all honesty though, I think it might depend on your department/program. We were given handouts with a schedule for required/elective classes for my specific degree.
For my program, it didn't have all 5 core classes in the first term, but it did have did have all 5 core classes in the first year, with some other departmental/program requirements thrown in there, bringing it to 12-15 credits per term.
For semester one we were told 4 classes were required and the 5th was optional, but recommended. And for the last semester we could have 0 to 9 credits, depending on how we spaced it out in the earlier semesters. I don't know if 9 also counts as part-time. And for some people, finishing in 1.5 years may be a good thing. I prefer 2 years, and will probably do 15, 12, 9, 9 and maybe take off from work the first semester and just make up the money during the second year when I have more time. Or, if I can fit a class in during the summer, I'll do 3, 12, 12, 9, 9.
I know not everyone can take a class over the summer or stop working for a term. But, everyone does have the option of testing out of the core classes. A current student told me the HPM lectures are available online, so some people just watch those over the summer, test out and don't have to worry about it. Or if you happen to have a strong background in biostats or epi, you could probably test out of those.
Obviously not the ideal, but it's an option. I don't know how testing out affects the 45 credit requirement. Or even if 45 is the credit requirement for all programs. It is for mine.
Good luck! If you end up going for it this year, I'll see you there.
In all honesty though, I think it might depend on your department/program. We were given handouts with a schedule for required/elective classes for my specific degree.
For my program, it didn't have all 5 core classes in the first term, but it did have did have all 5 core classes in the first year, with some other departmental/program requirements thrown in there, bringing it to 12-15 credits per term.
For semester one we were told 4 classes were required and the 5th was optional, but recommended. And for the last semester we could have 0 to 9 credits, depending on how we spaced it out in the earlier semesters. I don't know if 9 also counts as part-time. And for some people, finishing in 1.5 years may be a good thing. I prefer 2 years, and will probably do 15, 12, 9, 9 and maybe take off from work the first semester and just make up the money during the second year when I have more time. Or, if I can fit a class in during the summer, I'll do 3, 12, 12, 9, 9.
I know not everyone can take a class over the summer or stop working for a term. But, everyone does have the option of testing out of the core classes. A current student told me the HPM lectures are available online, so some people just watch those over the summer, test out and don't have to worry about it. Or if you happen to have a strong background in biostats or epi, you could probably test out of those.
Obviously not the ideal, but it's an option. I don't know how testing out affects the 45 credit requirement. Or even if 45 is the credit requirement for all programs. It is for mine.
Good luck! If you end up going for it this year, I'll see you there.
I hear that. It might be a mess. But if 500 people are going through the mess together, then you have 499 other people to complain with!
In all honesty though, I think it might depend on your department/program. We were given handouts with a schedule for required/elective classes for my specific degree.
For my program, it didn't have all 5 core classes in the first term, but it did have did have all 5 core classes in the first year, with some other departmental/program requirements thrown in there, bringing it to 12-15 credits per term.
For semester one we were told 4 classes were required and the 5th was optional, but recommended. And for the last semester we could have 0 to 9 credits, depending on how we spaced it out in the earlier semesters. I don't know if 9 also counts as part-time. And for some people, finishing in 1.5 years may be a good thing. I prefer 2 years, and will probably do 15, 12, 9, 9 and maybe take off from work the first semester and just make up the money during the second year when I have more time. Or, if I can fit a class in during the summer, I'll do 3, 12, 12, 9, 9.
I know not everyone can take a class over the summer or stop working for a term. But, everyone does have the option of testing out of the core classes. A current student told me the HPM lectures are available online, so some people just watch those over the summer, test out and don't have to worry about it. Or if you happen to have a strong background in biostats or epi, you could probably test out of those.
Obviously not the ideal, but it's an option. I don't know how testing out affects the 45 credit requirement. Or even if 45 is the credit requirement for all programs. It is for mine.
Good luck! If you end up going for it this year, I'll see you there.
You've got this quite figured out, I'm impressed. Does Mailman's commencement/graduation take place in December or in May? During my discussions with staff at Mailman, it seems like they're pretty committed to getting you out in 3 semesters.
For Forced Migration and Health the program manager told me that while it is possible to do it in three, they definitely encourage students to take four.
The students I know currently in FMH are all graduating in May, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mailman has a December commencement ceremony also.
All the departments and programs seem to operate differently, so I'd say check with the program you're interested in. Are you interested in Forced Migration by any chance?
The students I know currently in FMH are all graduating in May, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mailman has a December commencement ceremony also.
All the departments and programs seem to operate differently, so I'd say check with the program you're interested in. Are you interested in Forced Migration by any chance?
For Forced Migration and Health the program manager told me that while it is possible to do it in three, they definitely encourage students to take four.
The students I know currently in FMH are all graduating in May, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mailman has a December commencement ceremony also.
All the departments and programs seem to operate differently, so I'd say check with the program you're interested in. Are you interested in Forced Migration by any chance?
I'm not, but as I learn more about the different programs, I get interested in each of them. Who did you contact about your program?
For HPM, they have a "Director of Full Time Programs", but she has never responded to an e-mail of mine or returned a phone call. Is there someone with a formal title who I should contact about the duration of a program, etc.?
Oh boy, I have no idea about HPM.
Forced Migration has a Program Coordinator and a Program Manager. I met them both at an Grad Fair and they were both extremely friendly and helpful. I always got a response within a day. They helped me arrange a day to visit the school where the Program Manager showed me around the offices of the department, introduced me to important people, and really took the time to explain what it was like to be a student there. (She was also an alum of the program.) This was all before I even applied!
Sorry you haven't had luck with the HPM person. I think if you talk to the admissions people, they may know, or if they try to pass you along to that person again, just mention they haven't responded and I bet they can work their admission dept magic and get an answer? I know some people have had trouble with the admission people, but I used to call and email waaaay too often and they were always polite and timely with me.
Good luck!
Forced Migration has a Program Coordinator and a Program Manager. I met them both at an Grad Fair and they were both extremely friendly and helpful. I always got a response within a day. They helped me arrange a day to visit the school where the Program Manager showed me around the offices of the department, introduced me to important people, and really took the time to explain what it was like to be a student there. (She was also an alum of the program.) This was all before I even applied!
Sorry you haven't had luck with the HPM person. I think if you talk to the admissions people, they may know, or if they try to pass you along to that person again, just mention they haven't responded and I bet they can work their admission dept magic and get an answer? I know some people have had trouble with the admission people, but I used to call and email waaaay too often and they were always polite and timely with me.
Good luck!
Hey sf! I posted mine in this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=807038
Do take it with a grain of salt though 🙂 It really depends on the individual.
Thanks everyone! Honestly I thought there would be more interest in this thread (although maybe it's also because a lot of comments got scattered into other threads!) Hopefully after the next visit day...
Come on people! 😀
Last edited:
I went to the visit day on March 25th and honestly I was expecting more. I went to Harvard for an info session last October and I feel like I got more out of it than the admitted day at Mailman. There's not much else to add other than the initial thoughts of "COLUMBIA", "IVY LEAGUE", and "NEW YORK CITY" quickly became less important when looking at MY career goals and what I think is important at a program. I'm sure Columbia is a great SPH, but it's not for me unless I get a $95,000 scholarship out of the sky 😀
I'm going to the next one on April 8, so I will post a report afterwards!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 8K