Columbia vs. Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!! I'm having a really hard time deciding between columbia and Michigan, and I REALLY need to make a decision. After I get my MPH, I want to attend dental school. Is there a major advantage that one school would give me when applying to dental school? Also, I'm worried about how Columbia is in NYC. Would this not be a major distraction?

Members don't see this ad.

hey sorry but i have a kind've unrelated question...when did you hear back from michigan and when did you apply?

hey sorry but i have a kind've unrelated question...when did you hear back from michigan and when did you apply?

umm i applied probably around end of jan. and i heard back about 3-4 weeks after.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I can't speak specifically to your post MPH ambitions, but I think there are several helpful resources that you should look into. One is for the location. City-data (.com) offers some pretty helpful user-based comments on the quality of life in varies cities (including Ann Arbor and New York City). As far the program nuances go, I think the most helpful thing to do is look at the program catalog (not sure if UM offers this, but Columbia has one). Program catalogs usually provide a wealth of useful, specific information outside of the "we're the best..." chatter. Ann Arbor is a very nice town, but it might be limited to being the type of place you'd settle down in with a family. :) I lived there for some time and went to U of M. I'm not sure how adaptable NYC is, but I think Columbia is worth a shot if the financial aid package is more or less the same as Michigan's. Ultimately, I think both schools would provide a seamless trajectory to dental school.

G luck

thanks for all the advice guys!!