Columbia vs Penn/Hopkins (WL). LOI Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpmedecide2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
** PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE **

Hi All,

I am fortunate to have had a pretty successful cycle with 6 A's and 3 WL's. From my acceptances, I've already decided on Columbia for location/fit, but I am still on the fence about sending a LOI to either Penn or Hopkins where I'm waitlisted at. Part of me wants to withdraw from the waitlists just to give a sense of closure to the lengthy application process, and because Columbia is where I envisioned myself going for med school since the beginning of the application cycle. On the other hand, Penn/Hopkins might have things to offer that would help me in pursuing my career goals.

In terms of my career goals, I'm hoping to go into academic medicine and match into a competitive surgical specialty like ortho (HSS is my dream). I'm also interested in taking on leadership roles within academics (i.e. become chief/chair), so I'm also thinking about getting an MBA. I attended Columbia for undergrad and my family/support network is based in NYC.

Columbia
Pros:
-NYC. Lived here for a while now and I love it.
-Strong reputation for matching into surgical specialties
-HSS also in NYC so might help in making connections?
-Familiar with area and have connections at Columbia
-decent MBA program

Cons:
-Slightly lower ranking. Might affect me in the future if they're deciding who to promote and compare me to a Harvard/Hopkins grad?
-Not sure how good their home ortho program is
-don't get to branch out and make new connections

Penn
Pros:
-MBA at Wharton would be strongest
-get to make new connections
-Stronger reputation than Columbia

Cons:
-Not NYC
-Waitlist movement seems minimal here. Around 12-20 get off the waitlist from a pool of 150.

Hopkins
Pros:
-Strongest name/prestige would help in matching for residency and in the future if I want to take on leadership roles in academia.
-make new connections
-A lot of waitlist movement. Up to 25-30% get off the waitlist from what I've heard.

Cons:
-Location. I'm a city person and I really did not like Baltimore
-Weakest MBA program of the three.

So what should I do? I'm perfectly happy going to Columbia since it's where I've envisioned myself going for a while now. However, I'm wondering if it's still worth sending a LOI to one of the schools that I'm waitlisted at. My family wants me to send a LOI and not give up, but idk I have this weird feeling that even if I were to get in off the waitlist, it wouldn't be the same as getting in outright. I would be like the "second choice" applicant whereas Columbia wants me so much that they accepted me right off the bat.

** PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE **

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would only withdraw if you’re 10000% set on Columbia. At least wait out the WL, assuming you don’t send out an LoI. There is almost zero benefit to withdrawing.

I would NOT withdraw simply because you want closure a few months early. I would also not withdraw simply due to the sentiment of “being grateful for what you have”. You paid for your damn applications, you worked for it, so shoot your damn shot if that is what you do desire. There’s no “be grateful”

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I would only withdraw if you’re 10000% set on Columbia. At least wait out the WL, assuming you don’t send out an LoI. There is almost zero benefit to withdrawing.

I would NOT withdraw simply because you want closure a few months early. I would also not withdraw simply due to the sentiment of “being grateful for what you have”. You paid for your damn applications, you worked for it, so shoot your damn shot if that is what you do desire. There’s no “be grateful”
Perhaps, but I feel like waiting out the WL without send an LOI is pretty pointless right? Like there will be a bunch of other people on the waitlist sending very strong LOI committing to go.

Penn consistently has one of the very best (if not THE best) match lists around, so between that and Wharton, since you're looking at an MBA, I'd consider Penn (or Harvard) the best school in the country for your wish list. Since they typically draw so few from the waitlist, seems like a strong LOI to Penn could make sense. I'd do that.

Since Hopkins pulls more anyway and you're less sold on Baltimore, why not let that one ride.

Columbia's already a 'bird in the hand,' and since you already live there and know the ropes, you don't need the whole 'get to know NYC and find a place to live' panic routine. So just assume that's what you'll be doing but don't sign anything non-refundable.

As far as your ultimate career goals go, all of these institutions are at the very top of the heap and would be considered pretty much equivalent prestige-wise. I couldn't imagine someone 'negging' on Columbia vs. Hopkins or Penn and not getting a huge eye-roll...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just my opinion, but based on what you wrote, I would wait for a decision from Penn. Philly is also not that far from NYC. You could hop on the Acela and in 1.5 hours, you're in the city. Wharton is the better MBA and Penn has a good match list. You can't go wrong with Columbia either. Washington Heights is a nice area and Bard hall isn't too terrible.

If your goal is to get into HSS, just know that Columbia is one of the biggest feeder schools for their ortho residency program (more so than the other schools named). This can be seen on Doximity.

Reactions: 1 user
"Screw this guy, we can't make him a partner, he went to Columbia." :hilarious:

I can guarantee you that going to a school of Columbia's caliber will not hold you back whatsoever. If you want to stay in NYC go to Columbia.

As an aside, you wouldn't be a "second choice" admit. You understand how difficult it is to be accepted to schools of this caliber? It's very difficult to distinguish between students that uniformly excel and often it's luck that will get you the straight admit vs a WL. You shouldn't feel like a lesser student for coming in off the waitlist.

I know that didn't help you all that much in your choice. If I were in your shoes I would sit tight and wait until the end of April to make a decision. If you pick up acceptances to Hopkins/Penn you may be able to negotiate additional merit aid wherever you decide to go. Those are all peer institutions.

Congrats on the amazing cycle btw!

Reactions: 2 users
Not really addressing the prompt, but sorta a follow up question:
If you send a letter of intent to Penn, do they still have to match other financial aid packages? Or is the “matching” only for when they’re competing for your commitment?

Not really addressing the prompt, but sorta a follow up question:
If you send a letter of intent to Penn, do they still have to match other financial aid packages? Or is the “matching” only for when they’re competing for your commitment?

I’d imagine it’d be a question of timing. Waitlist movement usually doesn’t occur until late April, when most of their money has been dished out, so it’s probably more a question of if they’ll have any money left by then.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I’d imagine it’d be a question of timing. Waitlist movement usually doesn’t occur until late April, when most of their money has been dished out, so it’s probably more a question of if they’ll have any money left by then.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
K good point. I guess my opinion then is that yes, Hopkins and penn both have slightly better reputations and match lists. It’s kinda like undergrad: HPY is slightly “better” than Columbia. But ultimately just because a school has a better match list doesn’t mean you’re going to match better because of your school. All these schools have people matching into ortho at HSS, so that could be u regardless of which school u end up at. It’s about figuring out which school will allow you to thrive.

Reactions: 1 user