Columbia Vs Umdnj

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Parm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I am not in dire straights (at the moment), I wanted all your opinion in this matter.

UMDNJ is a nice in-state school with affordable in-state tuition. It is also proud of the superb clinical training it gives to its students. Location is a bit dodgy, but u can't hold that against the school.

COLUMBIA is, needless to say, an IVY league. The name carries its own weight, and placement into specialty is fairly good. The program, however, is not so robust there. Dental and Med students are put together. Dental students complain of, among other things, being treated as 2nd class citizens as compared to the Med students, and learning and being held responsible for material that is very unnecessary for dentists to know (rightfully so, considering it is something Medical doctors are responsible for). This, combined with the sky-high tuition is quite scary.

In light of what I have presented on behalf of both schools, what is your opinion? Which school should be considered over the other? Please post. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm, I'm expecting an acceptance from Columbia and I think I will choose UMDNJ over Columbia, just because I don't see myself specializing. Even then, UMDNJ is still a good option in terms of being able to specialize. First and foremost, I want to be a good clinician and then keep my options open...

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Parm said:
Although I am not in dire straights (at the moment), I wanted all your opinion in this matter.

UMDNJ is a nice in-state school with affordable in-state tuition. It is also proud of the superb clinical training it gives to its students. Location is a bit dodgy, but u can't hold that against the school.

COLUMBIA is, needless to say, an IVY league. The name carries its own weight, and placement into specialty is fairly good. The program, however, is not so robust there. Dental and Med students are put together. Dental students complain of, among other things, being treated as 2nd class citizens as compared to the Med students, and learning and being held responsible for material that is very unnecessary for dentists to know (rightfully so, considering it is something Medical doctors are responsible for). This, combined with the sky-high tuition is quite scary.

In light of what I have presented on behalf of both schools, what is your opinion? Which school should be considered over the other? Please post. Thanks.
Sounds like you've already made up your mind. UMDNJ it is!

I'm surprised you didn't even get an interview at Penn considering you got accepted at Columbia. Do you know why?

SuperTrooper said:
Sounds like you've already made up your mind. UMDNJ it is!

I'm surprised you didn't even get an interview at Penn considering you got accepted at Columbia. Do you know why?

As for why I got rejected from Penn and accepted to Columbia...Best explanation is that the application process is a crap-shoot. My theory is that while Penn is one of those schools that would rather accept a student with a high GPA than a high DAT score, Columbia is the complete opposite. It insists on a high DAT and is willing to overlook the GPA.

And as far as already having made up my mind, bro I am going through a decision-making turmoil. Yes, UMDNJ is a good clinical school where you have the choice of specializing....but Columbia is an IVY. As shallow as it may sound, how often is one given a chance to attend a prestigious university like Columbia. So, I guess I just have to wrestle with the choices I have at the moment. One thing is certain. Although I have also received an acceptance to Michigan, I will not be going there. MI is a good school, but is not worth the out-of-state tuition it charges. Thanks for all your inputs guys, keep 'em coming.

Dr. Parm said:
As for why I got rejected from Penn and accepted to Columbia...Best explanation is that the application process is a crap-shoot. My theory is that while Penn is one of those schools that would rather accept a student with a high GPA than a high DAT score, Columbia is the complete opposite. It insists on a high DAT and is willing to overlook the GPA.

And as far as already having made up my mind, bro I am going through a decision-making turmoil. Yes, UMDNJ is a good clinical school where you have the choice of specializing....but Columbia is an IVY. As shallow as it may sound, how often is one given a chance to attend a prestigious university like Columbia. So, I guess I just have to wrestle with the choices I have at the moment. One thing is certain. Although I have also received an acceptance to Michigan, I will not be going there. MI is a good school, but is not worth the out-of-state tuition it charges. Thanks for all your inputs guys, keep 'em coming.

Do you go to Michigan undergrad?? Was just wondering. How did you find out about Michigan. Is my state school and I interviewed earlier in the year. I would like to know what is going on with Michigan. I am Michigan Undergrad myself.

Dr. Parm said:

What is all this "2nd class citizen" crap? I mean, the med students sometimes make us (the dental) carry their books to class and give them our lunch money, but that's about the extent of it. Some people may feel that way because they're innately insecure people, but there has never been any comments, actions, etc from the med school community to make me feel like a second class citizen. If anything, my med school friends here at columbia actually laude the dental students for sharing the same classes/courseload as them, and then taking some more additional classes on top of it.

I do admit that it's annoying learning about the extra med stuff that I have a sneaking suspicion may not be on the boards--but Columbia's theory is that dentistry should have a medical base. If anything, sharing classes with the med students should not be seen as a disadvantage--you're sharing classes with one of the hardest med schools to get into so you will be getting a good education. they may not rank dental school, but they do rank med and Columbia's med is up there. And I went to a very good undergrad that wasn't an Ivy--but the atmosphere, the vibe here, is different. Kids are sharper and it forces you to be your best too.

Butbutbut if you're talking abou $$$, I would definitely stick with your state school. The reason why I had chosen CU was because my state school was only less than $10k cheaper than CU--so in the end, I would be only saving less than $40k, which is (sadly) a drop in the bucket compared to the overall bill. Because it wasn't a big difference and I really wouldn't have saved that much, I decided to take a chance. My own dentist has said (in talking about how he also had to choose between the cheaper state vs. the more expensive Ivy Xnumber of years ago): "If you go to the state school, you'll spend the rest of your life wondering what it would have been like going to the Ivy. If you go to the Ivy, you won't wonder about the state." Something to chew on.

Thanks a LOT Vandy Yankee. Your inputs have definitely helped put things into focus. So you are saying that the pain of learning "extra" and potentially usless stuff is offset by the fact that you are taking those classes with world-class medical students? Ok, I can see where you are coming from. How bout clinical training at Columbia? How extensively do they train you during your 3rd and 4th years? Please do post so we can all know.

Yo Mustt Mustt, I myself am also a Michigan undergrad. I actually just walked into the Dental School on Friday to find out. Since they were busy with interviews, they could not tell me one way or the other. But no worries, because on Saturday, I received their letter in the mail (at my residence). U should be getting one very soon. Good luck bro. Mebbe we'll bump into each other on the diag or something without even knowing who we are lol.

vandy_yankee said:
What is all this "2nd class citizen" crap? I mean, the med students sometimes make us (the dental) carry their books to class and give them our lunch money, but that's about the extent of it. Some people may feel that way because they're innately insecure people, but there has never been any comments, actions, etc from the med school community to make me feel like a second class citizen. If anything, my med school friends here at columbia actually laude the dental students for sharing the same classes/courseload as them, and then taking some more additional classes on top of it.

I do admit that it's annoying learning about the extra med stuff that I have a sneaking suspicion may not be on the boards--but Columbia's theory is that dentistry should have a medical base. If anything, sharing classes with the med students should not be seen as a disadvantage--you're sharing classes with one of the hardest med schools to get into so you will be getting a good education. they may not rank dental school, but they do rank med and Columbia's med is up there. And I went to a very good undergrad that wasn't an Ivy--but the atmosphere, the vibe here, is different. Kids are sharper and it forces you to be your best too.

Butbutbut if you're talking abou $$$, I would definitely stick with your state school. The reason why I had chosen CU was because my state school was only less than $10k cheaper than CU--so in the end, I would be only saving less than $40k, which is (sadly) a drop in the bucket compared to the overall bill. Because it wasn't a big difference and I really wouldn't have saved that much, I decided to take a chance. My own dentist has said (in talking about how he also had to choose between the cheaper state vs. the more expensive Ivy Xnumber of years ago): "If you go to the state school, you'll spend the rest of your life wondering what it would have been like going to the Ivy. If you go to the Ivy, you won't wonder about the state." Something to chew on.

VY, I can't believe that you got up so early to post on SDN. I just got out of bed.

I second everything you said. I will add that NYC is the greatest city to get to live in and you will never forget the good times you make here.

As far as the clinic goes, I am only a first year, and you can read countless testimonies from upperclassmen about the clinical education here, but I will tell you that all the upperclassmen that I have spoken to have spoken much more favorably about the clinical education here than what non-columbians write here on SDN. You will be totally fine clinically if you go here. if you do a residency then even better.