columbia!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
i got accepted to the health mgmt program at columbia, and two programs at michigan- international health(dept of epid) and human nutrition. dont ask why i applied to two completely different programs, but i find myself in a situation where im comparing apples to oranges. i really want to be in NYC, and get the feeling that it will be easier to network and get jobs since they have a HUGE list of employers. i havent visited columbia as im in india, but was almost sureof columbia till i heard some nasty comments about it on the forum. umich is awesome, but im a little unsure about intl health as epid is mostly stats (am i right?) and that sounds boring! human nutrition sounds fun since i was premed and its sort of clinical, but the average sal is 45-55k only! also,im weary of the scope of an mph in human nutrition.
i get the impression that columbias health mgmt program is not the best, nevertheless a good program, with a fabulous ivy league tag. also if the dorms suck, then would living off campus cut it??
does anyone know what the alumni network is like at columbia??
any input would be greatly appreciated!
cheers!
puja

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted to Columbia as well, but once I sat down the profs and met the students I didn't end up going there. It was my first choice before I actually saw the place. The health campus is actually on 168th street which is near the upper side of NYC, and not very close to their regular campus. So if you are taking your electives at other places you will either have to take the campus bus or subway. The building which is now going to be the school of public health wasn't very impressive. The networking is a big plus point because most of the major companies are located there, but don't worry I sure other high ranked public health schools are good at that as well. Their career office wasn't very helpful to the MPH people, which was another disappointing aspect. The students didn't seem very happy and were very confused. I dont know maybe its just the ones I met. The dorms were very small and I didnt see any apartments so I wouldnt know. Over all my impression of the school wasn't that great. You might like but that is what I felt when I visited the place. Picking a certain school is a very personal choice so you will have to figure out what works best for you. Good luck.

Im going to columbia this fall to study epidemiology. Its true that the campus is a couple of miles north of the 'real columiba campus' and the area isnt the greatest, but tell me what major medical center is in the best part of town? none that i know of. The school of public health is one of the top 5 in the nation and the ivy league name never hurt anything. It is in the middle of new york city, so yes, dorms and appartments are on the small side and traffic sucks. But there are great places to see, such as broadway, a yankess gamee, times square at new years, all the great restaurants, shopping, etc. where else can you get all that plus a great education? in the middle of michigan or georgia? It is a personal thing, and I love nyc...hope this helps, email with any [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Location, location, location! :cool:

Funny, I'll be studying IH epidemiology at Univ. of Michigan this fall. We coulda been classmates, BradyB978! For me, Ann Arbor is great because it's NOT in the middle of an NYC. An awesome school, close enough to Detroit, a budding cultural and cosmo life of its own, and best of all, close to green and clean air! It truly is a personal thing, and I'm pumped to be in the middle of Michigan!

Best of luck at Columbia! Our experiences are what we make of it! :)

BradyB978 said:
Im going to columbia this fall to study epidemiology. Its true that the campus is a couple of miles north of the 'real columiba campus' and the area isnt the greatest, but tell me what major medical center is in the best part of town? none that i know of. The school of public health is one of the top 5 in the nation and the ivy league name never hurt anything. It is in the middle of new york city, so yes, dorms and appartments are on the small side and traffic sucks. But there are great places to see, such as broadway, a yankess gamee, times square at new years, all the great restaurants, shopping, etc. where else can you get all that plus a great education? in the middle of michigan or georgia? It is a personal thing, and I love nyc...hope this helps, email with any [email protected]

thanks guys!
mintykitty this is so funny i got accepted to the IH program at michigan too. we coulda been class mates!! i think im fixed on columbia though..
brady where will you be staying?

Hm, the both of y'all accepted to UM IH and going to Columbia? Am I in trouble here...? ;)

Oh, I think I got the messages switched up. I was talking to jgd about UM and Brady about NYC. Hm...but yes, jgd, we COULDA been classmates! See whatcha missed out on! :p

hey there...i applied for student housing and I think I'm living in the bard-haven towers. What about you? Where are you from? You can contact me at [email protected]

Hey all,
I graduated Columbia M.P.H. (EHS) in 2003, and think it's an outstanding program. The epidemiology and EHS departments are exceptional and there's no question they are some of the strongest in the country. Anyone who decides to go there is going to get a fantastic education. As for the location, it's really not bad. It's a family neighborhood (Dominican), close to the subway, and right on the Hudson river. I lived in Bard the first semester and then moved to university housing on 173rd st. My studio was about $750/month and I had the most unreal view of the Hudson. I could see from the GW bridge all the way down to the Chrysler Bldg. It was a million dollar view. I loved it. Now I pay $1150 for a studio in LA, with a view of the building across the way. I miss NYC.