COMAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faith100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting my core rotations in January and wanted to know what people recommend as far as study resources. Any input regarding pros/cons of the following would be greatly appreciated. I bought the COMBANK Comat question banks, so will be using those, but would also like a text to use throughout the month. Did people pick a series, like Pretest, and use that title for all rotations, or mix them up depending on rotation? Just trying to not use too many resources!

Pros/Cons on the following study resources for IM, FM, Peds, Psych, OB/GYN, Surgery?

Blueprint
Pretest
Casefiles
First Aid

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've only taken the Peds and Psych COMATs. I used Case Files and 3 Qbanks (UWorld, Comquest, Combank COMAT). Those resources were more than enough to prepare for the COMATs.

I really liked Case Files, because you can read 1-2 cases during your short breaks on rotations. It also hits all the important points - presentation, definitions (DSM IV for psych, which is used for the Psych COMAT btw), DDX, treatments & next step (important!). It also has 3-4 USMLE board-style questions at the end which are nice.

UWORLD is definitely the most important resource. The question stems are long and the explanations are excellent. Once you finish UWORLD, you will breeze through the COMLEX qbanks easily. A good number of my COMAT questions were almost word-for-word from UWORLD questions too.

Good luck!

I've been using the OnlineMedEd videos + Uworld and haven't had any trouble with the COMATS (Surgery, IM, Peds). That's what I personally recommend