Low COMAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1150906

I have been having a rough time 3rd year. My scores are just not improving. My first couple exams were below a 90. I have 2 scores mid-high 90s. I have tried watching dr. highyield, Anki, questions from truelearn and UWORLD. Nothing has helped me. I know I am at high risk right now to fail boards. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been having a rough time 3rd year. My scores are just not improving. My first couple exams were below a 90. I have 2 scores mid-high 90s. I have tried watching dr. highyield, Anki, questions from truelearn and UWORLD. Nothing has helped me. I know I am at high risk right now to fail boards. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?
My highest score on COMAT was 95 on OMM. My scores were as low as 83. You'll be Ok. I don't think you're high risk to fail COMLEX by any means. However, if the goal is a competitive specialty and you want to crush Level 2 that's a totally different matter. Just keep doing questions and learn from your mistakes. Repetition is key.

Reactions: 1 user
My highest score on COMAT was 95 on OMM. My scores were as low as 83. You'll be Ok. I don't think you're high risk to fail COMLEX by any means. However, if the goal is a competitive specialty and you want to crush Level 2 that's a totally different matter. Just keep doing questions and learn from your mistakes. Repetition is key.
My goal is psych, maybe neuro. I want at least a 500 score but idk if thats attainable with these COMAT scores.

My goal is psych, maybe neuro. I want at least a 500 score but idk if thats attainable with these COMAT scores.
I had 425 Level 1, 435 Level 2, and a 204 Step 1, all mediocre scores and matched Neuro at a solid program. Psych, from what I've heard, also don't focus on board scores, but rather more on your dedication to the field. You can definitely hit 500, but if you don't, I don't think that would stop you from matching per se. There are other things on your application that could potentially make you more appealing to programs. Also, whichever specialty you choose, I would plan on auditioning to at least 3 programs that you can see yourself matching into.

I had 425 Level 1, 435 Level 2, and a 204 Step 1, all mediocre scores and matched Neuro at a solid program. Psych, from what I've heard, also don't focus on board scores, but rather more on your dedication to the field. You can definitely hit 500, but if you don't, I don't think that would stop you from matching per se. There are other things on your application that could potentially make you more appealing to programs. Also, whichever specialty you choose, I would plan on auditioning to at least 3 programs that you can see yourself matching into.
Is neuro the same way - as in, they really care about your dedication to the field?

Is neuro the same way - as in, they really care about your dedication to the field?
Yes, if you have Neurologist(s) that can vouch for you in LOR(s), a PS that shows great passion for the field, and reseach or at least poster presentations about neuro topics, it is definitely a plus. I personally know someone with not so great boards who matched into a great university program simply because of those things. However, Neuro is also less popular than Psych in my opinion. Therefore, the dedication and commitment factor is more pronounced for psych than Neuro. You hear every year how psych is getting more and more competitive because people are seeing applicants with 250 steps ending up in the soap, yet people with 210s are still matching into that same field. I don't think it's a coincidence. Psych programs are really looking for specific type of applicants. Lower ranked Neuro programs or neuro programs in not so great locations cannot be as selective in their review process like psych programs do, or they might go unfilled in my opinion. Although, this might changed in the near future as neuro has been gaining some popularity lately. Who knows!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, if you have Neurologist(s) that can vouch for you in LOR(s), a PS that shows great passion for the field, and reseach or at least poster presentations about neuro topics, it is definitely a plus. I personally know someone with not so great boards who matched into a great university program simply because of those things. However, Neuro is also less popular than Psych in my opinion. Therefore, the dedication and commitment factor is more pronounced for psych than Neuro. You hear every year how psych is getting more and more competitive because people are seeing applicants with 250 steps ending up in the soap, yet people with 210s are still matching into that same field. I don't think it's a coincidence. Psych programs are really looking for specific type of applicants. Lower ranked Neuro programs or neuro programs in not so great locations cannot be as selective in their review process like psych programs do, or they might go unfilled in my opinion. Although, this might changed in the near future as neuro has been gaining some popularity lately. Who knows!
Yeah it's weird. Looking at just stats, on paper neuro is more competitive, yet the match rate for psych is lower.