Combank correlation to COMLEX STEP 1 scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prisonmedtech

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dose anyone know if there is a correlation between what you make on COMBANK to the actual exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dose anyone know if there is a correlation between what you make on COMBANK to the actual exam?

I went through it doing 3 blocks a day after doing UWorld...I can't remember precisely what my percentage was but it was probably in the high 70s middle 80s. Scored 600+ I had friends that did better on the qbank and got lower on COMLEX and vice versa so I don't really think its an accurate diagnostic tool (there really isn't one for COMLEX). I think you should just aim to do as well as you can and feel "comfortable" about passing if you can routinely score above their benchmark (which was like 67% I believe?).

I went through it doing 3 blocks a day after doing UWorld...I can't remember precisely what my percentage was but it was probably in the high 70s middle 80s. Scored 600+ I had friends that did better on the qbank and got lower on COMLEX and vice versa so I don't really think its an accurate diagnostic tool (there really isn't one for COMLEX). I think you should just aim to do as well as you can and feel "comfortable" about passing if you can routinely score above their benchmark (which was like 67% I believe?).

what resources did u use for COMLEX? im stickin with Combank + Pathoma + FA and some Micro/Pharm flashcards (i hear COMLEX is heavy on 'bugs and drugs')

One major concern is whether to use Uworld or Combank in prep for the exam which is sched on the 22nd.

Thanks

what resources did u use for COMLEX? im stickin with Combank + Pathoma + FA and some Micro/Pharm flashcards (i hear COMLEX is heavy on 'bugs and drugs')

One major concern is whether to use Uworld or Combank in prep for the exam which is sched on the 22nd.

Thanks

DIT/FA+UWorld+Savarese+Goljan Audio+Combank is what I used (I took USMLE as well). I think UWorld+Saverse is the way to go for DO Step 1 prep. UWorld teaches concepts and Savarese is more than what you'll need to know for the OMM component but you can get through it start to finish in a day or two. The exams in the back are probably more difficult than anything you'd see on COMLEX but if you can feel comfortable about answering those questions, you shouldn't have a problem.

DIT/FA+UWorld+Savarese+Goljan Audio+Combank is what I used (I took USMLE as well). I think UWorld+Saverse is the way to go for DO Step 1 prep. UWorld teaches concepts and Savarese is more than what you'll need to know for the OMM component but you can get through it start to finish in a day or two. The exams in the back are probably more difficult than anything you'd see on COMLEX but if you can feel comfortable about answering those questions, you shouldn't have a problem.

Do you reccomend doing Uworld early and switching to Combank later (like starting in early June since my exam is on the 22nd). And I don't have much experience with NBOMEs but did they help you in prep or in knowing where you stood before the exam?

Doing UWorld and switching to Combank is an excellent idea. Also, the COMSAEs are useless for predicting your score.

I may not finish Uworld by the time I switch to Combank, but I will probably have done about 60-70% of it. Hopefully, sufficient enough.

It seems that everyone is using UWORLD, but is it really necessary for someone who is only taking COMLEX? I have been using USMLERx since it helps reinforce material in First Aid, and I'm also doing ComBank. Now I'm starting to get paranoid about not using UWORLD, but the questions take so long, and I prefer to spend my time reading.

People obviously passed the boards before UW was even around, so no it is not remotely necessary. But, it is arguably the best way to prepare as proven by 100s upon 100s of posts on here. So, if you have the time, it would be a good idea to use it. But, if you don't or it isn't your style, then its totally fine to do whatever works best for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
for people taking COMLEX only....
I finished only 500 Uworld Q (~70% avg), and read 75% of FA only....
COMLEX 1: 98th percentile (no, not two dig score)

That said... Uworld is a STELLAR source for learning the material and learning it well... do it if you have the time.

That said... Uworld is a STELLAR source for learning the material and learning it well... do it if you have the time.

You didnt touch Combank?

Study for the comlex the way you would for the USMLE. meaning UWORLD, FA, supplement with physio, pharm and path review books. I only used combank for the OMT and ethics questions the week before my exam. ~ 95% percentile

Guess its settled then. The Uworld/FA/Pathology source + supplements is the way to go. Last question (probably not) but I heard the Comlex is big on Micro and Repro? is this true?

Guess its settled then. The Uworld/FA/Pathology source + supplements is the way to go. Last question (probably not) but I heard the Comlex is big on Micro and Repro? is this true?

yup. expect to see lots of random organisms not listed in FA, and repro on the level of OB/GYN shelf exam questions. lol

I'm only taking COMLEX on June 6th. Have gone through the 90% of the kaplan program (books, lectures) and am using both kaplan qbanks (70% on comlex with 59% complete, 61% on usmle with 37% complete). I recently bought COMBANK and have been scoring in the mid to upper 70s and got a 549 on comsae level-1 form A.

Should I be panicking or am I in OK place with three weeks left?
Any suggestions on what else I can do?

So basically, you are at or above the average on everything with 3 weeks to go, do you think this is a reason to worry?

Take an NBME and gauge your weak subjects. Id say look at your COMSAE report, but the NBOME is ******ed when it comes to category breakdown; so an NBME would help more. Hit those areas hard along with questions and FA. Also, read Saverese and MMRS sometime during those 3 weeks. Saverese can be knocked out in a day or 2 and MMRS is not much longer.

Do those things and I would be surprised if you didn't break 600.

So basically, you are at or above the average on everything with 3 weeks to go, do you think this is a reason to worry?

Take an NBME and gauge your weak subjects. Id say look at your COMSAE report, but the NBOME is ******ed when it comes to category breakdown; so an NBME would help more. Hit those areas hard along with questions and FA. Also, read Saverese and MMRS sometime during those 3 weeks. Saverese can be knocked out in a day or 2 and MMRS is not much longer.

MMRS seems like a huge book, but its readable in a day or 2? I may do this if it will help with me with the Micro, now only if there was a PMRS. (Pharm made ridic simple)

Yeah, I guess I just wondered if my decision not get UWORLD had put me at a disadvantage. Thanks for the confidence boost though. It's hard to know how qbanks and comsae's really compare to the actual test.

I am taking COMLEX only June 6th, I have been using UWorld and Kaplan Level 1 Qs and Combank. At this point I have 35% of UWorld left to finish, and a pretty solid chunk of ComBank left. I know that UWorld has better explanations as far as learning more, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to whether I should focus more on ComBank or UWorld at this point. I want to maximize the 3 weeks I have left and am not sure which Qbank would be best to do that with given that I am only taking COMLEX.

I am taking COMLEX only June 6th, I have been using UWorld and Kaplan Level 1 Qs and Combank. At this point I have 35% of UWorld left to finish, and a pretty solid chunk of ComBank left. I know that UWorld has better explanations as far as learning more, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to whether I should focus more on ComBank or UWorld at this point. I want to maximize the 3 weeks I have left and am not sure which Qbank would be best to do that with given that I am only taking COMLEX.

I plan to use Uworld exclusively for the last 4 weeks of my prep ... after finishing combank and kaplan qbank...what do people think of that?

I think it is kind of dangerous because although you will learn a ton, you will be used to the USMLE style of questioning and will forget how comlex words things. Id do a bit of both to keep both fresh in your mind.

How heavy is the Comlex on Biochem? And Neuro images? and Images in general?

"heavy" meaning lots of questions? or "heavy" meaning multiple-order-thinking questions a la the USMLE biochem questions? well, actually i don't remember either of these being true for comlex, haha. there weren't that many biochem questions on my exam as far as i remember, and most of the ones that they did ask were pretty straightforward. images... i don't remember there being a lot of path slides but usually the pathology of any image the comlex puts on there will be pretty obvious.

"heavy" meaning lots of questions? or "heavy" meaning multiple-order-thinking questions a la the USMLE biochem questions? well, actually i don't remember either of these being true for comlex, haha. there weren't that many biochem questions on my exam as far as i remember, and most of the ones that they did ask were pretty straightforward. images... i don't remember there being a lot of path slides but usually the pathology of any image the comlex puts on there will be pretty obvious.

Just wondering whether I should put the time into doing the Kaplan videos for Biochem. I may just do the metabolism videos because FA doesnt go into much depth and I want to understand them.

Clearly you are a zebra my friend. Congrats!! But I doubt your 500 uworld questions are responsible for your stellar score. Plenty of people do uworld twice and fa three times and still don't touch the ninetieth percentile. I'm very impressed though!!

i just finished comqest, and plan to do Kaplan comlex Qbank. Does anyone know the difficulty level for kaplan is and how representative of comlex it is? And roughly what percentages should people be looking at if they want 550 (or 600) and up?

Thanks!!

holy necrobump!

Not sure really, I just know that so far comlex Qs are so crappy compared to UWorld and Kaplan Q bank USMLE Q's

holy necrobump!

Not sure really, I just know that so far comlex Qs are so crappy compared to UWorld and Kaplan Q bank USMLE Q's

Totally agree. I just have trouble accepting that on the real deal- COMLEX- the questions are gonna be like the ones in Combank.