Combank vs COMSAE vs COMLEX format?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRain

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, for those of you that have already taken the COMLEX, I was wondering if you’ve noticed any differences in format and what should I be expecting for COMLEX.

I took my first COMSAE (version 2) last week and did decent in it considering I’ll just be officially starting my dedicated time in a week. However, I was very surprised with the format and the way the questions were written. They were very different from Combank which provided a lot of details and give you a fair amount of info in their stems. In COMSAE, the stems were extremely short and very little info was given (for the most part). After finishing the exam, I felt as if Combank hadn’t prepared me at all and was vastly different. So I guess what I’m trying to find out is did any of you guys also feel that way? Should I be expecting COMLEX to be very similar in format and all to the COMSAE? If so, what are some good q banks you would recommend to better prep me for COMLEX?

Members don't see this ad.

n = 1, but for me the COMLEX was similar to the COMSAEs in terms of question style. COMBANK is good for learning, but their question style differed. Of course, the best Qbank to learn from is UWorld

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
COMLEX was similar to the COMSAEs. I did uworld up until 2 weeks before, then started throwing in COMBANK OMM/micro/ethics questions. COMLEX was nothing like uworld, most of the questions were first order path that you either knew it or you didn't. There wasn't anything to really think through. BUT you absolutely should use uworld because it really cements the knowledge and foundation you will need to be successful on not only step1, but also comlex.
Also, COMBANK > COMQUEST for level 1, but COMQUEST > COMBANK for nbome COMAT's.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
COMLEX was similar to the COMSAEs. I did uworld up until 2 weeks before, then started throwing in COMBANK OMM/micro/ethics questions. COMLEX was nothing like uworld, most of the questions were first order path that you either knew it or you didn't. There wasn't anything to really think through. BUT you absolutely should use uworld because it really cements the knowledge and foundation you will need to be successful on not only step1, but also comlex.
Also, COMBANK > COMQUEST for level 1, but COMQUEST > COMBANK for nbome COMAT's.

Thanks for your input! Yeah I have already uworld as I’m planning on taking step 1 as well. Just wanted to get an idea of what I should be expecting for COMLEX tho. Thanks!

n = 1, but for me the COMLEX was similar to the COMSAEs in terms of question style. COMLEX is good for learning, but their question style differed. Of course, the best Qbank to learn from is UWorld

In your 2nd sentence, did you mean combank?

Yes, my bad. I will fix that in the edit!

Thanks for your input! I guess you felt the same as I did in combank differing from comsae and comlex. I’ll just have to be aware of going forward. n = 2 lol

Last edited:
COMLEX is very similar to the COMSAEs except obviously the COMSAEs are shorter. I thought that COMBANK/TrueLearn was the most similar of the question banks out there to the actual COMLEX, if that helps- similar in terms of question style, content, and also videos- like they had videos of the exact same scenario that I had a video on in my COMLEX.