Combined BS/DO Programs. Any good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amanda29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this but here goes:
I was just wondering:
*what DO schools offer the combined programs
*what is the best combined DO program
*how difficult is it for OOS to get in
*how difficult it is for anyone to get in

and some more questions:
*how many hours of volunteering should I do a week to get noticed in the application
*how do I begin research
*am I thinking too early(I am a sophomore in high school)
*would working as a CNA help me on my application(Im getting certified this summer)
*Would taking PSEO classes help me in any way?(all senior year I am taking them since I could graduate at the end of 11th grade)

Any responses are appreciated!:D

Members don't see this ad.

What schools actually have combined programs? Edit: Just searched ... apparently TCOM, Western (see a thread a few below), NYCOM, CCOM, have program. For a more comprehensive look, I suggest checking out each med school and then looking into each college. That's probably how I would go about doing it. TCOM is most instate texas residents so I'm sure their linkage probably would be difficult to obtain to get into a texas state college (University of North Texas and the University of Texas at Dallas).

First off if you know you want to go DO then do a combined program, just my vote. Not all schools have links so you'd have to be at a school that has a link otherwise its just applying with everyone else. Most BS/DO programs have you apply while you are in high school. YOU ARE NOT THINKING TOO EARLY! I commend you for being so proactive in your thinking and curiousity in nature is a good thing.

Volunteering - do as much as you want. If you are active like I was in school, you might have a hard time doing a lot between all the clubs you are involved in. But even a few hours a month counts. Remember do something you enjoy doing so you'll show more commitment to your cause. Just my opinion though.

If you are interested in getting your CNA so you can have a job that is a great idea. Another route is students sometimes get their EMT cert. CNA would be great clinical experience for patient experience. Also, don't forget doctor shadowing as well!

Research is a little bit harder to do when you are in high school as your knowledge is limited. I would take part in science conferences, camps if you are interested. Some colleges have high school science programs during the summer for those interested. See what options you have in your areas. I know a few colleges/med schools have summer high school "medical biology" programs.

Best of luck and keep the questions coming. The reason why SDN is here is to help people understand. I wish I knew more about the BS/DO process to help you out on that aspect.