combined cardio/ICU fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2ndyear

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how many of these are out there? I looked for info on the MGH one and none of the pages seem to work. Seems like it might be cool to me though.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
MGH site is under construction... it is 18 months...

DrRobert said:
How long does it take to complete this fellowship?

As stated, 18 months. We are still in the process of determining which ICU sites we will incorporate (Parkland MICU, CCU, SICU, BICU, Neuro ICU, VA SICU & TICU, St. Paul MICU, CVICU, Zale Lipshy MICU, SICU, and possibly Children's PICU, along with other possibilities).

Interesting timing for this thread.

This months (or was it last?) Pediatric Critical Care journal had an article about supply-demand issues in Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care. Basically, it suggested there are barely enough of these intensivists as is, that the work is hard/challenging/(rapid burnout?), that were will be an increased need in the short and long term but the US is currently not training enough as is.

Their proposal included opening these positions up to cardiac anesthesiologists etc.

Any thoughts? Would this be in the realm of "cardio/ICU" fellowship training?

2ndyear,

You actually 'like' doing hearts?? God Bless you man!! :p

Gator05 said:
Interesting timing for this thread.

This months (or was it last?) Pediatric Critical Care journal had an article about supply-demand issues in Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care. Basically, it suggested there are barely enough of these intensivists as is, that the work is hard/challenging/(rapid burnout?), that were will be an increased need in the short and long term but the US is currently not training enough as is.

Their proposal included opening these positions up to cardiac anesthesiologists etc.

Any thoughts? Would this be in the realm of "cardio/ICU" fellowship training?

Hearts are fun, fun cases. You are always on your toes, always thinking and you get to do a ton of procedures (A line, cordis, PAC, TEE). Wouldn't want to do that exclusively in private practice unless it was in an area with a good-great payor mix.

Pediatric intensive care is very specific to pedi physiology so I doubt that cardiac anesthesiologists or cardiac-critical care boarded anesthesiologists will have enough training to care for PICU patients.

Just kidding actually.

You do see and do A LOT in heart cases. My personal experience with hearts helped hon my skills in working with pressor-drips and doing lines for sure. The experience I had that was negative was only based on the fact that we rotated with an attending who enjoyed micro-managing EVERY case. It was her neurosis alone that made us say: "Aww, man! I'm doing hearts tommorow with Dr____".

If you like hearts, then I say... :thumbup:

UTSouthwestern said:
Hearts are fun, fun cases. You are always on your toes, always thinking and you get to do a ton of procedures (A line, cordis, PAC, TEE). Wouldn't want to do that exclusively in private practice unless it was in an area with a good-great payor mix.

Pediatric intensive care is very specific to pedi physiology so I doubt that cardiac anesthesiologists or cardiac-critical care boarded anesthesiologists will have enough training to care for PICU patients.

Not speaking of Peds Critical Care in general, but of peds CARDIAC critical care. Who takes care of your post-op cardiac kids?

I do agree that peds critical care in general is way too peds-focused to enter from the anesthesiology end without peds training first.

Our pedi cardiac guys follow up postoperatively but we have pediatric anesthesiologist intensivists at Children's that work in tandem with the straight pediatric intensivists. They are VERY strong in pedi critical care and no one questions their judgement.

I actually got a letter of rec from an attending who was peds critical care and anesthesia boarded. He did take care of peds hearts in the ICU after surgery. Pretty amazing, total Jedi in the pedi heart knowledge.

2ndyear said:
I actually got a letter of rec from an attending who was peds critical care and anesthesia boarded. He did take care of peds hearts in the ICU after surgery. Pretty amazing, total Jedi in the pedi heart knowledge.

I've been pretty impressed with the ones I've met as well. However, I guess you REALLY have to want both PedsCCM and PedsAnest in order to go for the 8-10 years of GME it now takes...

CHOP and JHU also have combined programs. internship then 5 years. two years anesthesia, one years peds anesthesia, and two years peds picu.