Combined Md/fp Residency

Started by deleted6669
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted6669

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard several as of yet unsubstantiated rumors that there are medschool affiliated fp rersidencies that allow your ms4 year to count as pgy-1/intern year if all electives taken in family medicine so that an individual completes medschool and fp residency in 6 yrs instead of 7. anyone heard of this? if so what schools/residencies participate in this? links please if you have them. thanks-e
 
emedpa said:
I have heard several as of yet unsubstantiated rumors that there are medschool affiliated fp rersidencies that allow your ms4 year to count as pgy-1/intern year if all electives taken in family medicine so that an individual completes medschool and fp residency in 6 yrs instead of 7. anyone heard of this? if so what schools/residencies participate in this? links please if you have them. thanks-e

East Tennessee State University, Quillen College of Medicine has this program. I could not find the link but if you go to their residency homepage, there is a 2nd year named Erin and she was an MS4/intern last year. I know because I talked with their program director about the program. I did not know about this program before I had started medical school so it was too late for me. But if I was looking around now, I would find one of these programs to save a year.
 
PACtoDOC said:
East Tennessee State University, Quillen College of Medicine has this program. I could not find the link but if you go to their residency homepage, there is a 2nd year named Erin and she was an MS4/intern last year. I know because I talked with their program director about the program. I did not know about this program before I had started medical school so it was too late for me. But if I was looking around now, I would find one of these programs to save a year.

It seems like it would be great for you b/c you have a clinical background and were a PC PA but what about someone who is green to the field of medicine. With as much as an FP needs to know and see to be somewhat adequately prepared for practice on their own it seems irresponsible to shorten their training by a year. It essentially creates a 2 year FP residency does it not. Most of the clerkship at Osteopathic Schools are in some sort of primary care (at least at PCOM) why not shorten residency by two years. You see where I am going with this. Where do you draw the line?

I tend to think you can never be overtrained. Even if these people in condensed programs are super smart and can literally recite Robbin's, Harrison's, Swanson's, etc. there still is something to be had in the repetition of procedures, Dx's, and growth as a physician that comes from 1 extra year. Sure I would imagine someone who going into a 100% managed care environment that is going to be an HMO bi*ch maybe medical school is all you need to dx strept throat and perform physicals and refer everything else under the sun to specialists but in a rural setting this doesn't seem like a good idea. Sorry for the ranting and run-ons. Feel free to rip the post apart.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Twelve schools had this program for family medicine in the '90s: KY, Southern AL, Creighton, ECU, ETSU, MUSC, CWRU, Marshall, TN, MCO, Nebraska & Cincinnati.

In 2003, the American Board of Family Medicine decided that 2004 would be the last year of all accelerated programs across the country.

MCP had it for IM, not sure if it exists under Drexel since MCP Hospital has closed.

Interestingly, they paid for their fourth year of medical school while receiving a PG-1 salary.

The 'AR' residents are in the combined MS4/PG-1 program. At Marshall, the accelerated residents performed higher on objective exams.

http://meb.marshall.edu/fch/

emedpa said:
I have heard several as of yet unsubstantiated rumors that there are medschool affiliated fp rersidencies that allow your ms4 year to count as pgy-1/intern year if all electives taken in family medicine so that an individual completes medschool and fp residency in 6 yrs instead of 7. anyone heard of this? if so what schools/residencies participate in this? links please if you have them. thanks-e
 
Discovered today that these programs were part of a trial project at 12 medical schools that ends this year. there are no plans to admit further residents to these programs..............
 
Probably a good thing since a 2 year residency would seem to "dummy down" the specialty.
 
emedpa said:
Discovered today that these programs were part of a trial project at 12 medical schools that ends this year. there are no plans to admit further residents to these programs..............
Ditto!!! I interviewed at ETSU and asked about their ART program. They said it is being closed out and will not longer be available. Too bad but I guess I can take a bigger variety of electives now!!! 🙂
 
FMbound said:
Probably a good thing since a 2 year residency would seem to "dummy down" the specialty.

it's not a 2 yr residency it's a 3 yr medschool+3 yr residency.
ms4=pgy1