Combined neuro-internal medicine residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medkrush

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just curious, is there anyone out there doing a joint internal medicine/neurology residency? If so, could u please tell me what your curriculum/schedule is like. I'm currently an intern proposing a joint residency to our DME with the intention of going into neuro-critical care fellowship. Any help out there would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

medkrush said:
Hi everyone,

Just curious, is there anyone out there doing a joint internal medicine/neurology residency? If so, could u please tell me what your curriculum/schedule is like. I'm currently an intern proposing a joint residency to our DME with the intention of going into neuro-critical care fellowship. Any help out there would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

I am considering a combined IM/Neuro residency. Can someone who knows about these program offer some insight.

TruTrooper said:
I am considering a combined IM/Neuro residency. Can someone who knows about these program offer some insight.

I can offer little insight except from conversations I've had with people. There was a former student at my school who went off and did one of these combined IM/Neuro residencies. It just takes an extra year and you are board certified in both fields obviously. I asked her why she took this path and she told me she felt she would be better qualified to do neurocritical care and that (I hate this phrase) she would be "a better doctor."

Basically the residency involves switching between each of the fields for a set amount of time, like between 3 to 6 months.

I'm not too sure how many programs there are out there that combine neuro/IM. I recall somebody told me 8, but that sounds wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
multi-year bump.

What programs still exist for this? FREIDA only lists Tulane and Medical College of Wisconsin. Is that really the case?

Not sure, but the fact that it is that hard to find a program tells you something about the utility.

I'm a neurointensivist. Doing gastro and endocrine electives and a ward senior rotation or two will not make you a better neurologist (or neurointensivist). If you want to be dual-certified, and leave the door open for IM-subspecialties, that is the only reason I can think of to do this.