combined residencies IM/EM need all info!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

24SWISS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know about this combined residencies IM/EM? Is it difficult for an IMG to get these residencies? Any information will be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going into EM/IM. It is difficult.

someone care to differentiate between regular EM vs combined IM/EM. pros and cons of each would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it difficult impossible? where are you starting your residency? I was thinking on applying just NYC b/c they are more IMG friendly.

24SWISS said:
Is it difficult impossible? where are you starting your residency? I was thinking on applying just NYC b/c they are more IMG friendly.
Apply everywhere you can to maximize your odds. You'll never know unless you apply. That being said, I always felt like the EM/IM combination was kind of like that combo peanut butter and jelly in a jar....A good idea in theory but not in reality. What do I know anyhow, I fall asleep on my feet if I have to round longer than half an hour. If IM is your thing as well go for it\. :cool:

Univ of Maryland has combined programs in EM/IM and EM/Peds. The EM/IM track is five years in length. Feel free to contact any of the residency directors/core faculty (Dr. Mike Winters and Dr. Rob Rogers) for some more information. Though I'm categorical emergency medicine, the EM/IM track is mich broader in scope and prepares graduates for careers in academic EM as well as possible forays into EM/critical care. Many of the combined program's grads work in academic settings, and some function as clinical coordinators for students and residents at other local emergency departments. Statistically, many EM/IM grads end up practicing emergency medicine. However, it makes sense to infer that such intensive training gives you more insight into things like the management of chronic, refractory hypertension and CHF. Currently at UMD, some of the "combined" attendings run the department's 'rapid decision unit' for patients with chest pain, cellulitis, or other conditions requiring observation and brief inpatient stays/workups. On a more selfish note, its great working with combined EM/IM residents in the ED because their IM counterparts give you much less flack when admitting to the wards! Plus, the seniors are PGY levels 4 and 5 and are quite efficient at managing multiple patients, teaching, and assisting with some of the more 'internal medicine type' procedures like paracentesis and thoracocentesis in the ED. While its not my thing, the EM/IM track most definitely gives graduates an academic and clinical edge. Here are some links for more information:

http://www.umm.edu/imres/im_em.html
http://www.umm.edu/emergencymed/emed-resid-9.html

Dr. Mike Winters' (EM/IM residency director) email:
[email protected]

Good luck,

PuSh

Sorry for the post padding, but here's some additional info for the combined EM/IM program at U MD. For specific questions, I've included the email addresses of the current and future combined chiefs.

David Vitberg, MD- Chief Resident (AY 2005-6), Internal/Emergency Medicine
email: [email protected]

Tsuyoshi Mitarai, MD- Chief Resident (AY 2006-7) Internal /Emergency Med
email: [email protected]

-P

Thanks guys! :) Actually I'm already in FM residency, but wanted something better. As an IMG withouth US experience, visa issues etc, etc I just settled for something I could get, but now that I've got the working status and experience I am looking for what I really want. Can't expect too much but I'm going to try, if things don't work out would have wasted couple hundred bugs :laugh: . I checked out SUNY downstate, they offer 4-6 positions, and I did some research, statistics, etc. I know that very few or none IMGs apply fot these so I thought what the heck! I'll give a try!