Combined Residency in OBGYN and Medical Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CN IX

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't know about a combined OB/Gyn Genetics residency program but I do know Wayne State/DMC has a combined MFM/Genetics fellowship program. This is a 4 year fellowship, that follows a 4 year residency program. I am sure there are other fellowships out there similar to this. Hope this helps

I haven't heard of combined OB/Genetics residency, but I do know of people completing an OB residency and then pursuing a 2 year residency in medical genetics (look at NIH's residency in genetics in Washington, DC as an example).

With respect to MFM/Genetics, the genetics component, when taken with MFM is more geared toward Women's Health than the traditional Medical Genetics residencies, so be sure to speak with the programs about their specific objectives and aims prior to committing to one.

Other specialties that will give you a chance at pursuing genetics (purely from personal experience) are Pathology (1 additional year), and Pediatrics (2-3 additional years)

Hope this helps ya! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The ABOG website lists all of the combined MFM/Medical genetics fellowships. I don't know the details of how these work (ie., if they are geared to your interests), but this listing may help.

http://www.abog.org/pdf/MFMPROG-MFM-Genetics.pdf

I asked a Peds/geneticist about this a week or two ago. Apparently this is a new combined residency as of this year. When Genetics was a fellowship you could do an extra 2 years after basically anything but now that it is a Residency they are offering the combo's. Like Peds/Genetics this residency is also 5 years long and you get double borded at the end. Since it is so new there are not any programs out there that offer the 5 yr combo as far as I know but if anyone hears different I would love to know about it.

You can do a 2 year genetics residency after 2 years of Ob/Gyn but you cannot be double boarded that way (you will only be boarded in Genetics). You can do a 2 year genetics fellowship after a 4 year Ob residency and be double boarded that way.