combustion reactions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andyjl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just need some clarification on what combustion reactions are. In the kaplan online workshop, it says that "it is a type of combination reaction where a substance is burned in the presence of gas."

an example is 3 Mg (s) + N2 (g) --> Mg3N2 (s)

But in my general chem textbook and I believe in the kaplan review book, it says that it is a reaction in which elemental oxygen is burned and oxygen appears in every product.

Can someone clarify what combustion reactions are?

Members don't see this ad.

my understanding of combustion reactions was that they involved O2 as a reactant and is a pretty fast reaction that produces a flame. It's been a long time since I went over that stuff...so I should probably read up on it.
Scott

I just need some clarification on what combustion reactions are. In the kaplan online workshop, it says that "it is a type of combination reaction where a substance is burned in the presence of gas."

an example is 3 Mg (s) + N2 (g) --> Mg3N2 (s)

But in my general chem textbook and I believe in the kaplan review book, it says that it is a reaction in which elemental oxygen is burned and oxygen appears in every product.

Can someone clarify what combustion reactions are?

Combustion is an exothermic reaction between a fuel and an oxidant. The oxidant does not have to be oxygen.