Comfort Dental partnerships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aerogirl7210

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well hi all! I've been browsing these posts for months. What a truly interesting and informative board! Anyhow, I'm a pre-dental student and I'm trying to find out all the information that I possibly can about the field of dentistry. Does anyone know anything about "chain" dental offices (don't know what you'd call it professionally--new at all this :) ). Comfort Dental has offices throughout Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico. They advertise that they need more partners and that their partners are paid in the top 5 highest percent of all dentists. How can they be in need of partners with such a high salary? Granted not everyone is in it for the money I know. Maybe this is a dumb question to all you who know the ins and outs of this whole business but I figured somebody could answer it. Basically I just want to know more about this way of dentistry and advantages/disadvantages etc.

Thanks so much guys!

Shannon

Members don't see this ad.

These chains are known as Dental Management Service Organizations (DMSOs).

There may be several problems with entering into a contract with a DMSO:

- Some DMSOs might charge the practitioner a "management fee," which would be extra overhead cost for the practitioner.

- Some DMSOs might not provide enough management so you end up with many of the same duties, including quality control.

- Loss of autonomy/management authority.

- Not clear who makes the treatment decisions-- Dentists or non-dentist stockholders if the DMSO is a publically-traded company?

- Restrictive covenants-- If you leave the DMSO to strike out on your own, they can enforce ridiculous restrictive covenants if they own a large number of chains in a town, i.e. you agree not to practice within X miles of any of the chain locations for a Y number of years. You would be effectively run out of town.

These are some of the problems mentioned in the practice management class here at my school. Personally, I think DMSOs are bad news and I'm steering clear of them after I graduate.

Tom,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply! I knew there was something about it that didn't seem to add up!

Shannon