Comfortable walking shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jillofalltrades

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those needy people that aren't comfortable in any other shoes than athletic sneakers. Of course I have prepared the most comfortable pair of black flats I can find, but I would not say that they are "comfortable walking shoes".

How terrible would it be to stick on a pair of flip flops or bright neon sneakers for the tour? I understand that sucking it up for just a day is totally a thing (and I'm prepared to do so) but I would prefer not to hurt myself if I didn't have to. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say just stick it out in heels/pumps/your dressy shoes. The schools that I have been to were considerate enough to not make us walk super far :) Better to not stand out in a bad way!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm one of those needy people that aren't comfortable in any other shoes than athletic sneakers. Of course I have prepared the most comfortable pair of black flats I can find, but I would not say that they are "comfortable walking shoes".

How terrible would it be to stick on a pair of flip flops or bright neon sneakers for the tour? I understand that sucking it up for just a day is totally a thing (and I'm prepared to do so) but I would prefer not to hurt myself if I didn't have to. Thanks!
I feel you. I'm not really comfortable in my suit so I elected to just go to my interviews in my gym clothes. I didn't bother with the mild inconvenience.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let's just say if you do switch to flip flops or neon sneakers, you're likely to end up in the facepalm interview moments thread.

Do the flats dig into the back of your foot? Or do they cause blisters? Either way, there are products to prevent that from happening for at least a day.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel you. I'm not really comfortable in my suit so I elected to just go to my interviews in my gym clothes. I didn't bother with the mild inconvenience.
o_O:bored::bucktooth::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::smack:

edit: any future premeds: he's jk if you can't tell!

suck it up and wear your dress shoes. interviews are business formal events, and you could very well see faculty members or adcom members while on the tour.

flip-flops or neon sneakers with a suit? sorry, but :barf:

Wait, how are flip flops more comfortable than structured black flats? Is this serious?
The fact the you specified 'bright neon sneakers' makes me think this is a troll post

Reactions: 2 users

One of my mentees entered an elevator after changing to sneakers for the med school tour and a faculty member who had recently interviewed her was inside. After mutual greetings, the interviewer panned her from head to foot, pausing on the footwear, but saying nothing further. She was ultimately accepted to that school, though she suffered for a few months over whether her fashion failure had ruined her chances. Of course, the sneakers were not neon.

As someone who has hiked many miles in less-than-comfortable setups... Moleskin is your friend.

060327-M-0000A-005.jpg

Try pumps from Clarks or from Hotter Shoes (British company ). I can walk in them all day.

This pseudo "professionalism" just pisses me off. Why to we insist that women (it is always women) wear shoes that are uncomfortable and ultimately deforming to their feet in the name of "professionalism". We are interviewing candidates for admission to medical school, not the Miss America pageant. Wearing flats (but not sneakers or flipflops) is perfectly acceptable and no adcom member or interviewer would mark you down as "unprofessional" for such a choice. Insisting that women should suck it up and wear heels is ridiculous.

Reactions: 22 users
This pseudo "professionalism" just pisses me off. Why to we insist that women (it is always women) wear shoes that are uncomfortable and ultimately deforming to their feet in the name of "professionalism". We are interviewing candidates for admission to medical school, not the Miss America pageant. Wearing flats (but not sneakers or flipflops) is perfectly acceptable and no adcom member or interviewer would mark you down as "unprofessional" for such a choice. Insisting that women should suck it up and wear heels is ridiculous.
I agree. Either wear flats or find comfortable heels that you can wear all day. Plenty of my female friends wear heels all day everyday but they purposely buy shoes that are well made, fit their feel well, and are comfortable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any luck with insoles? Not sure if this applies to ladies shoes though.

I took out the insoles of my dress shoes and put a pair of Spenco Polysorb Cross Trainer into my dress shoes.

Should be the ones with a yellow back around $12-14 on Amazon. Work like a charm so far.

I took out the insoles of my dress shoes and put a pair of Spenco Polysorb Cross Trainer into my dress shoes.

Should be the ones with a yellow back around $12-14 on Amazon. Work like a charm so far.
You would be pre-pod lol

Love this advice :thumbup: For me, pumps from JC Penny's are awesome. JCP is such a holy grail for me shoe-wise.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I will stick it out with my flats :)

Wait, how are flip flops more comfortable than structured black flats? Is this serious?
The fact the you specified 'bright neon sneakers' makes me think this is a troll post

Technically no. My podiatrist has been telling me for the past 9 years to stay the heck away from flat footwear because they're bad for my feet but I find the squishniness in flip flops comfortable at times (though I feel the lack of support like crazy). Then again, my podiatrist tells me to wear my orthotics and only my orthotics, and if you've ever seen a custom-made pair, they are ugly and don't fit in anything but tennis shoes.

One of my mentees entered an elevator after changing to sneakers for the med school tour and a faculty member who had recently interviewed her was inside. After mutual greetings, the interviewer panned her from head to foot, pausing on the footwear, but saying nothing further. She was ultimately accepted to that school, though she suffered for a few months over whether her fashion failure had ruined her chances. Of course, the sneakers were not neon.

That story has effectively cured me of my desire to bring alternative footwear. While I usually never apologize for doing what it takes to keep me off crutches, perhaps it's better for the mind just to know that my professionalism will not be questioned because of my fashion choices.

Technically no. My podiatrist has been telling me for the past 9 years to stay the heck away from flat footwear because they're bad for my feet but I find the squishniness in flip flops comfortable at times (though I feel the lack of support like crazy). Then again, my podiatrist tells me to wear my orthotics and only my orthotics, and if you've ever seen a custom-made pair, they are ugly and don't fit in anything but tennis shoes.

That story has effectively cured me of my desire to bring alternative footwear. While I usually never apologize for doing what it takes to keep me off crutches, perhaps it's better for the mind just to know that my professionalism will not be questioned because of my fashion choices.
I hope you find something that works for you! :)

My point wasn't to deter you from taking care of your feet, but to demonstrate that taking necessary measures isn't the death knell to all hope. Why not take the middle ground of carrying your emergency alternative footwear in your bag (with the mole skin), just in case you need it, and offering an explanation if need be?

[I keep a pair of black sneakers in the vicinity for similar purposes, BTW.]

Another thing to consider is the timing of the tour within the interview day. Often, some groups will have the tour first and then go straight to the interviews. At the majority of my interview days, there wasn't enough time for anyone to step away to change shoes, and we were often instructed to leave our personal items in the main room, so we had limited access to our belongings throughout the day. I'm sure you could make it work if need be, but it something to think about!

My point wasn't to deter you from taking care of your feet, but to demonstrate that taking necessary measures isn't the death knell to all hope. Why not take the middle ground of carrying your emergency alternative footwear in your bag (with the mole skin), just in case you need it, and offering an explanation if need be?

[I keep a pair of black sneakers in the vicinity for similar purposes, BTW.]

Thank you for your positivity and your advice! I always do my best to take care of them, and I think I've settled on carrying an ankle brace and ace bandages in my purse in case anything happens.

I can't relate, I love heels. The higher, the closer to Jesus. Honestly, I would stick with the flats. These tours were never that long anyways...so I never really understood the fear of walking on interviews.

For me it was hair. I struggle with my hair. If I leave it down, might seem unprofessional. If I leave it up my face is the same size as the moon. Can't win :\ Good luck with your shoe situation :thumbup:, just know that it'll all work out in the end!

For me it was hair. I struggle with my hair. If I leave it down, might seem unprofessional. If I leave it up my face is the same size as the moon. Can't win :\ Good luck with your shoe situation :thumbup:, just know that it'll all work out in the end!

Half-up, half-down. Keeps it out of your face without looking severe

I totally understand where OP is coming from. I've been on 4 interviews so far this cycle and I've been wearing flats with band-aids, padding, protective tape, and insoles inside and I still end each interview day bloody, blistered, and limping. I sprained my ankle last month and there's still bit of swelling, so that's contributing to it. But I bough flats in a wide width and a half-size up and I even did the thing where I put on athletic socks and blasted the shoes with a hair drier and walked around to break them in but I'm still having problems. And since my interviews have been about a week apart, all of the opened blisters and sores don't even get a chance to heal before I'm doing it all over again. The situation is bad. People keep saying there's no way a school would make you walk that much on an interview day, but over two cycles and 8 interviews I have not found that to be the case. There's always a lot of walking. There's always a lot of blood and pain. I don't know how the rest of you are dealing with this. Do I have freakishly deformed feet? What gives?

I totally understand where OP is coming from. I've been on 4 interviews so far this cycle and I've been wearing flats with band-aids, padding, protective tape, and insoles inside and I still end each interview day bloody, blistered, and limping. I sprained my ankle last month and there's still bit of swelling, so that's contributing to it. But I bough flats in a wide width and a half-size up and I even did the thing where I put on athletic socks and blasted the shoes with a hair drier and walked around to break them in but I'm still having problems. And since my interviews have been about a week apart, all of the opened blisters and sores don't even get a chance to heal before I'm doing it all over again. The situation is bad. People keep saying there's no way a school would make you walk that much on an interview day, but over two cycles and 8 interviews I have not found that to be the case. There's always a lot of walking. There's always a lot of blood and pain. I don't know how the rest of you are dealing with this. Do I have freakishly deformed feet? What gives?

hmm, I wonder if the fact that the shoes are too big might be contributing? I've been wearing pumps and putting bandaids on my heel and pinky toe and haven't gotten any blisters. The balls of my feet do sometimes end up being a bit sore at the end of the day, but that's it.

If the shoes are too big, your foot might be moving around in them, which increases friction and thus blister potential. I think the athletic sock/hair dryer trick is more for stretching/molding shoes that are, if anything, on the tighter side.

hmm, I wonder if the fact that the shoes are too big might be contributing? I've been wearing pumps and putting bandaids on my heel and pinky toe and haven't gotten any blisters. The balls of my feet do sometimes end up being a bit sore at the end of the day, but that's it.

If the shoes are too big, your foot might be moving around in them, which increases friction and thus blister potential. I think the athletic sock/hair dryer trick is more for stretching/molding shoes that are, if anything, on the tighter side.

The shoes aren't too big. I couldn't have them be tight because my left foot/ankle has been swollen and unstable and I need room for the ankle brace and extra inserts, gel pads, band-aids, and what have you. Even with the half-size up, my toes are getting squeezed to the point where I had a lot of bleeding under the nail on my big toe and the end of an interview day. Maybe I'm just cursed with weirdly-shaped feet because pretty much any kind of shoe that isn't flexible or open is going to hurt me. Structured shoes are all designed for people with relatively narrow feet with graceful proportions. Count your lucky stars that you have normal feet. My bigass troll feet are never going to conform. But I guess "suck it up and be a professional lady" is the only thing I can do.

The shoes aren't too big. I couldn't have them be tight because my left foot/ankle has been swollen and unstable and I need room for the ankle brace and extra inserts, gel pads, band-aids, and what have you. Even with the half-size up, my toes are getting squeezed to the point where I had a lot of bleeding under the nail on my big toe and the end of an interview day. Maybe I'm just cursed with weirdly-shaped feet because pretty much any kind of shoe that isn't flexible or open is going to hurt me. Structured shoes are all designed for people with relatively narrow feet with graceful proportions. Count your lucky stars that you have normal feet. My bigass troll feet are never going to conform. But I guess "suck it up and be a professional lady" is the only thing I can do.

that sucks, I'm sorry. If your ankle is still swollen and you're wearing a brace, I think adcoms will give you extra leeway. Maybe look for some of the brands mentioned here or here once your ankle is healed? I have the opposite problem, where my feet are tiny and narrow, but someone else in the women's interview clothing thread might have some better advice for you

that sucks, I'm sorry. If your ankle is still swollen and you're wearing a brace, I think adcoms will give you extra leeway. Maybe look for some of the brands mentioned here or here once your ankle is healed? I have the opposite problem, where my feet are tiny and narrow, but someone else in the women's interview clothing thread might have some better advice for you

Thanks. I think this problem won't really be solved until I can afford to buy specialty shoes for people with Hobbit feet.

As someone who has hiked many miles in less-than-comfortable setups... Moleskin is your friend.

060327-M-0000A-005.jpg
Who let them out with those straps looking like a**.
Theres no way thats a grunt unit.....
Plus, those cammies are way too clean....

Last edited:
II'd like to add to LizzyM's wise words that I never, ever see interviewee's shoes. And only once or twice has the attire of a candidate ever been brought up in our Adcom meetings. Once was for someone who had lost his/her luggage, and the other was someone who actually dressed casual for the interview!

II'd like to add to LizzyM's wise words that I never, ever see interviewee's shoes. And only once or twice has the attire of a candidate ever been brought up in our Adcom meetings. Once was for someone who had lost his/her luggage, and the other was someone who actually dressed casual for the interview!

How casual are we talking about? Like jeans and a t-shirt? So far on the interview trail, I've seen a few ladies wearing casual dresses with blazers over them but that's as casual as it got.

I believe it was a sport jacket, no tie, and open collar. I didn't interview this person, so an relaying 2nd hand info.

The only comment I have about attire is stop dressing like you're going to your mom's funeral.

How casual are we talking about? Like jeans and a t-shirt? So far on the interview trail, I've seen a few ladies wearing casual dresses with blazers over them but that's as casual as it got.

Who let them out with those straps looking like a**.
Theres no way thats a grunt unit.....
Plus, those cammies are way too clean....

The 2-point slings and tape on the old ILBE makes me think "training command", which also explains the cammies and the straps. Based on collar devices, the issue looks systemic. Based on the environ... 29 Stumps.

Try these to help with blisters on your pinky toes and heels! The cushion-y gel made wearing even 2-inch heels so much more bearable. These were my lifesavers during the interview cycle.

corn-cushions.png
187ccebd-0da9-48d4-8bfd-f00355ec9424.jpg._CB296553840__SL300__.jpg