Reasonable accommodations Re: Patient transfers/getting people walking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I limp a little when I walk. I shouldn't be trusted to support an unsteady person while walking. I could help a person up with my left hand, but it's painful when the right one is squeezed too hard and I want to avoid that. I ran into this the other week when a strong male patient with dementia squeezed my right hand really hard and it really hurt.

Is getting someone else to help me with getting patients out of bed or to walk people considered to be a reasonable accommodation? I don't think this would come up too often, but I don't know.

I don't know what is and is not reasonable and just wanted to touch base on that. I am not applying until next cycle.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Check the technical standards for the schools to which you plan to apply.
Can you do chest compressions, assist at surgery...?

I looked at the technical standards for the schools I am applying to. I meet them at all the schools I am considering.

It's just the patient transfers specifically I am concerned about. I didn't see any of the technical standards address patient transfers. I assumed this meant that I could have someone help me with patient transfers as a reasonable accommodation, but I don't know, hence the question.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That's usually a nursing standard.

That's one of the reasons why I didn't become a nurse!

So, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I just want to make sure I understand you correctly: Asking a nurse to come help you get a patient out of bed (rather than do it yourself) because you need to examine their gait or something is 100% okay for a physician/physician trainee to do every time?

Is that true?

Last edited:
That's one of the reasons why I didn't become a nurse!

So, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I just want to make sure I understand you correctly: Asking a nurse to come help you get a patient out of bed (rather than do it yourself) because you need to examine their gait or something is 100% okay for a physician/physician trainee to do every time?

Is that true?
Yes. I don't even think you would need a formal accommodation for this. Nobody is going to give you a hard time if you ask your MA or the patient's nurse/PCA "could you please help me transfer this patient? I have a bad leg/arm/etc and can't do it on my own."

I agree with gyngyn above that things like procedures and CPR may be bigger issues I'd make sure you can handle. Not to mention the classic med student job of holding a pregnant patient's hand during a delivery lol

Reactions: 3 users