comined cardiac and endovascular fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgical06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,

i was wondering if anyone knew of any combined cardiovascular and endovascular fellowships. i'm interested in CV surgery, but understand the increasing pressure to be endovascularly trained. any programs or solutions. are there any 3yrs CV fellowhips that use the last yr for this training.

Members don't see this ad.

hello all,

i was wondering if anyone knew of any combined cardiovascular and endovascular fellowships. i'm interested in CV surgery, but understand the increasing pressure to be endovascularly trained. any programs or solutions. are there any 3yrs CV fellowhips that use the last yr for this training.

I don't know of any programs specifically, but if I were interviewing for CVTS that's the exact question I'd ask. Increasingly TAGs are a bigger part of what CVT surgeons will need to do in the future. For those already trained or are training in programs without such offerings, I believe some people are heading back into Peripheral Vascular Surgery fellowships, some are doing the various endovascular mini-fellowships (e.g., Cleveland Clinic, UF, etc.), and finally, some are doing mini-endovascular courses during thoracic meetings.

I know of some programs that are incorporating TAGs into training. I think maybe Rush, UT-Houston, MCV... Dunno. Sorry. Coming up blank.

i'm interested in CV surgery, but understand the increasing pressure to be endovascularly trained. any programs or solutions. are there any 3yrs CV fellowhips that use the last yr for this training.

Are you more interested in Cardiac or Vascular?

Members don't see this ad :)
blade, good to hear from you

cardiac , i don't want to do vascular, but i hear its a necessary evil, and when i searched CTS.net, so many of the jobs listed were interested in surgeons w/ dual training.

cardiac , i don't want to do vascular, but i hear its a necessary evil, and when i searched CTS.net, so many of the jobs listed were interested in surgeons w/ dual training.

Really? You sure?

Many Cardiac jobs may be looking for people with some endovascular experience in terms of deploying TAGs or the like - not necessary the skillsets in the Vascular realm, a la peripheral artery bypasses and the like.

Castro can answer more specifics on Vascular.

blade, good to hear from you

Yeah, they're just looking for CT surgeons with endovascular training for TAGs and such. NOT for the full realm of wires and stents that the Vascular Surgeons play with.

You can take a mini course as a CT surgeon if your CT residency doesn't offer endo training. No biggie. TAG deployment is like deploying an IVC filter (I really have no idea, it just seemed that simple).

hello all,

I heard that Hopkins has a 6month block that can be used for endovascular if you wish. Other programs likely have the same option. I would be careful in the assumption that you can do a minifellowship afterwards. We had a resident that did a fellowship in CT, and tried to come back for an endovascular minifellowship, and they denied him. They don't want to train the competion. If you want to do any endovascular stuff the big thing is documenting enough numbers so that you can get credentials. You can probably log a bunch your chief year. But I don't know whats enough.

thanks for the clarification, no i'm not sure about exactly what those job offers entailed with respect to vascular qualifications. several of them definitely said "good" vascular experience. i'll go back and see if i missed some details.

thanks all