Coming back to school after a considerably long break…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

missinginspace

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am considering taking a few years off of college to do something before I decide to go back to med school. I know that some of you have taken the same or similar route. I’m hoping to ask you some questions about the experience you have had as you apply to med school.

1) Was coming back to school easy after you have already had a career? Were you able to stay focus?

2) Did you see an advisor? Did you have to retake some or all of your science courses? How did you do on your MCAT?

3) Did you have any support group at your college to help you through the transition?


If at all possible, what was your former career before you come back to medical school?


Please leave me your comments and experiences! I’m sure they will help me decide what I should do with my education! Thank you!

MIS
 
missinginspace said:
I am considering taking a few years off of college to do something before I decide to go back to med school. I know that some of you have taken the same or similar route. I’m hoping to ask you some questions about the experience you have had as you apply to med school.

1) Was coming back to school easy after you have already had a career? Were you able to stay focus?

2) Did you see an advisor? Did you have to retake some or all of your science courses? How did you do on your MCAT?

3) Did you have any support group at your college to help you through the transition?


If at all possible, what was your former career before you come back to medical school?


Please leave me your comments and experiences! I’m sure they will help me decide what I should do with my education! Thank you!

MIS

1) Going back after 10 years was no problem. Hanging around a univeristy campus and sitting in lecture beats working any day.

2) I used one of the advisors that you pay. It was very helpful for me in that she laid out a good plan for me to follow so I didn't waste time. I re-took a few classes but not all of them. Mostly took upper level bio along with some physics and ochem which I needed. Haven't taken the MCAT yet but I feel pretty good going into it. I recommend taking a review class because the materials they give you are incredible (Kaplan in my case).

3) No support group but I joined a lab right away and this was helpful because I got to know some undergrads that I would see in class. One of them was even my T.A. in one class!

Owned my own business and my office was about 10 min from the university so I could go back and forth a few times a day and not worry about a strict work schedule. I had a pretty unique situation.

I would say that unless you have to take time off then you should try to keep going and get it all done now. The longer you stay away the harder it will be to come back for all kinds of reasons like you will be the oldest person in the class, you might have financial commitments, you will be limited by your job schedule, etc... Either way, best of luck to you!
 
missinginspace said:
I am considering taking a few years off of college to do something before I decide to go back to med school. I know that some of you have taken the same or similar route. I’m hoping to ask you some questions about the experience you have had as you apply to med school.

1) Was coming back to school easy after you have already had a career? Were you able to stay focus?

2) Did you see an advisor? Did you have to retake some or all of your science courses? How did you do on your MCAT?

3) Did you have any support group at your college to help you through the transition?


If at all possible, what was your former career before you come back to medical school?


Please leave me your comments and experiences! I’m sure they will help me decide what I should do with my education! Thank you!

MIS



I'm not going into med school but I am going into optometry school and I experience the same feelings most non trads feel.

1. Going back to school after 10 years was tough but I have to say with every semester I finished just motivated me to sign up for the next one. Sometimes I felt ignorant around young students fresh out of high school that were used to going to school. However, because of my age and because I'm paying for my own education, I was disciplined to do the work but it takes a lot of juggling due to my other responsiblities.

2.Definitely see an advisor so you have a plan that will work.

3. No support group at school but a great supportive husband!

4. My present and soon to be former career is in event planning. I own an event planning company making very good money with three full time employees but I don't want to do this forever, so when the window of opportunity was available -I took it. In June I will be selling my business. It's scary but this is what I want to do.

I also agree with the previous post. If you have the time now to complete your education do it. It's doable later but can be more diffcult. Remember..."Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today".

Good Luck with your decision!