I know it's been asked before, but I wanted to know what people think about coming out within secondary applications. I've written a generalized 'diversity' essay; would someone be willing to provide feedback? For the record, I'm a white 21y/o male from a middle class background, so there's also that struggle to make myself seem special.
I've asked this question on Reddit as well and I've received mixed feedback. Some people say go for it while others suggest only coming out as necessary, so as not to jeopardize my chances at a given school. The flip side to that argument is that if a school isn't supportive of who you inherently are, why would you want to go there? Ideally, I'd love to be at a school that supports my being gay, but getting in
somewhere is more important to me. Obviously, I can choose which schools to come out to, but none of the places that I'm applying to appear to be particularly conservative, by my best guess.
What are your thoughts on:
- Including it in "diversity" prompts?
- Modifying it slightly and including it in "adversity" prompts?
- What to do if a school asks a diversity and adversity question?
- Including it for schools that don't ask a diversity question in the "additional comments" essay?