Comlex 2008 step 1 experiences thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlasticMan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone taken the COMLEX this year and want to comment on it? What are they emphasizing this time around? What was your preparation(UWORLD, COMSAE, Kaplan,USMLERx, etc.) and how did it compare?

Members don't see this ad.

My status had changed to "Test Taken" the first time I checked about a week after my test. The status changed to "Passed" about 4 weeks later when the score was posted. Maybe there's some variability to their process...

Members don't see this ad :)
My status had changed to "Test Taken" the first time I checked about a week after my test. The status changed to "Passed" about 4 weeks later when the score was posted. Maybe there's some variability to their process...

I took mine 3 weeks ago and it still says "Scheduled" for the status, not even that I have taken it yet or anything...oh well another three weeks probably.

it took 5 weeks and 1 day to get my scores online too. it came in the mail the following monday. you can't complain about that since they said 4-6 weeks. i wouldn't get too worked up over the "exam taken" status either. it took mine about a week to get switched.

my comlex status changed to test taken, any bets on when i get my score?

You will most likely get it 5-6 weeks after your test date, I don't think the "status" of your test on the NBOME website tells you anything about when they will come out.

Sooo...it's been a while (2 years to be exact) since I've been on SDN, but good to see a few familiar faces on here still, JBONE! :) I took Step 1 June 10 and I decided to just forget about it and try to enjoy my summer. Then 2 days ago I realized I haven't figured out if I passed or not?!

Considering tomorrow July 15 makes it exactly 5 weeks, I expect we'll be getting them soon. I hope sooner than later...if we don't find out until 6 weeks then I guess that gives us an entire week to study before we start our rotations?!?!?

I guess I'm in the same boat as everyone else since the majority of us took them in June/July. Reading through some comments made about the exam made me a little worried because I felt mine was completely different. I wonder how they can stress certain specifics on the test and call it standardized. If you just happen to really stink at one subject and you get 50 questions on it; then it doesn't show how fabulous you are at all the other subjects. I thought it would be more spread out. For example, 25 pharm questions, 25 micro questions, 25, 25, 25, 25. I just felt it was more like 25 questions on worms, 25 questions on biochemical transporters...it just stressed one specific thing...and kept asking the same question in a different way. Is this just me?

Anyways...I really hope we get the scores soon so I can move on with my life!!!

Took mine yesterday. I feel like I passed but, keeping my fingers crossed anyways so I don't have to sit for that damn thing ever again. This is kinda late and I don't know who it will help but, the majority of my test was micro and OMM. I had maybe 15 questions on neuro and twice as many pharm questions. I actually didn't have many cancer questions (path) which surprised me.

This information is from the Department of Academic affairs at St. Josephs Hospital and Medical center from 2007...

COMLEX USMLE
score=percentile
500=50 216=50
520=60 222=60
541=70 229=70
566=80 236=80
582=85 241=85
601=90 247=90
630=95 255=95

So when you ask about the "competitive" USMLE scores of 230s/240s you can compare those to a 560s/600s... The Standard deviation is much bigger in the COMLEX so the spread is larger...

this information is very helpful. I was wondering if anyone knew of anything published by the NBOME in relation to what the average COMLEX scores were in DO residency spots, separated by specialty? the AAMC has one for USMLE scores...but maybe I'm asking too much :laugh:

Ok, so I received my scores the other day.....Passed that mutha.....

Now, can someone help interpret the freakin' scores!!!!!!

The NBOME website talks about LEVEL I but only covers the period
up to 2005. Then it talks about PART I which is since 1986.

so, using fictitious numbers here......if the online (not the paper
report to be delivered at a date yet undetermined) scores are
reported as:

580/90 what do it mean? Is the 90 the same as 90% or is it
90th percentile or is it that you are predicted to eat 90 hotdogs
at a residency dinner? Does the 580 indicate your waist size after
medical school?

In the name of all that is holy and sacred, please someone give me
well informed information, not guesses or suppositions......anyone, anyone?

Comlex 554
USMLE 212

Not thrilled. I want to do EM or anesthesiology. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so I received my scores the other day.....Passed that mutha.....

Now, can someone help interpret the freakin' scores!!!!!!

The NBOME website talks about LEVEL I but only covers the period
up to 2005. Then it talks about PART I which is since 1986.

so, using fictitious numbers here......if the online (not the paper
report to be delivered at a date yet undetermined) scores are
reported as:

580/90 what do it mean? Is the 90 the same as 90% or is it
90th percentile or is it that you are predicted to eat 90 hotdogs
at a residency dinner? Does the 580 indicate your waist size after
medical school?

In the name of all that is holy and sacred, please someone give me
well informed information, not guesses or suppositions......anyone, anyone?

The two digit score is not a percentile, it says that in caps on the mailed score report. You can figure out your percentile using the info in this thread if you want. Take your score and subtract the mean (which is 500) from it and divide that by the standard deviation (79). That'll give you a z-score you can look up here to find your percentile.

The following info is from http://www.nbome.org/scoreInterpretation.htm
Standard scores (3-digit). The mean 3-digit standard scores of all three written examinations are 500, regardless of when the examinations are given. The minimal passing 3-digit standard score for Level 1 and Level 2 (CE) is 400, for Level 3 is 350, regardless of when the examinations are taken.

Standard deviations of COMLEX written examination 3-digit scores are Level-specific and time-specific. For Level 1 examinations given between 1998 and 2001, the standard deviation is 71; from 2002 to October 2005, the standard deviation is 79; From May 2006 to present, the standard deviation is 79. For Level 2 written examinations given between 1997 and 2000, the standard deviation is 85; from 2001 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 73; from July 2005 to present, the standard deviation is 83. For Level 3 examinations given between 1995 and 1999, the standard deviation is 111; from 2000 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 120; from September 2005 to present, the standard deviation is 123.

Standard scores (2-digit). The minimal passing 2-digit standard scores for all three written examinations are 75, regardless of when the examinations are taken.

Standard deviations of COMLEX written examinations 2-digit scores are Level-specific and time-specific. For Level 1 examinations given between 1998 and 2001, the standard deviation is 3.55; from 2002 to October 2005, the standard deviation is 3.95. For Level 2 written examinations given between 1997 and 2000, the standard deviation is 4.25; from 2001 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 3.65. For Level 3 examinations given between 1995 and 1999, the standard deviation is 3.70; from 2000 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 4.00.

does anyone know when scores come out if we took our exam on Jun 18th? the website says scores for examinations taken Jun 14th and before are already posted but I wonder how much longer it will be for scores after Jun 14th.

does anyone know when scores come out if we took our exam on Jun 18th? the website says scores for examinations taken Jun 14th and before are already posted but I wonder how much longer it will be for scores after Jun 14th.

i'm thinking maybe friday evening

Why is this taking so long...?

I'm getting married this Saturday and REALLY wanted to know my results before then so I can check that off my list of "things to worry about" on that day. Took it on Friday June 20th. This Friday will be 5 weeks...

I just got my score report in the mail...does anyone know if there is a more detailed explaination of what is in each category? like...what's in "diagnostic technologies"...is that like xrays, ecgs, or what? and then "health promotion/disease prevention?" I seriously don't remember any questions that would seem to fit in that category...any ideas, anyone? NBOME is clear as mud about these things:rolleyes:

I just got my score report in the mail...does anyone know if there is a more detailed explaination of what is in each category? like...what's in "diagnostic technologies"...is that like xrays, ecgs, or what? and then "health promotion/disease prevention?" I seriously don't remember any questions that would seem to fit in that category...any ideas, anyone? NBOME is clear as mud about these things:rolleyes:
nope...thats about as detailed of a breakdown as you'll ever get from them....no one really seems to know wtf those categories really include

USMLE 225
COMLEX 637

Im not sure how much "better" a 637 COMLEX is than a 225 USMLE in the eyes of a residency admission board, but I may have hurt my chances at a good allo residency by taking the USMLE, since allo residencies will probably only look at my USMLE score.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
USMLE 225
COMLEX 637

Im not sure how much better a 637 COMLEX is than a 225 USMLE in the eyes of a residency admission board, but I may have hurt my chances at a good allo residency by taking the USMLE, since allo residencies will probably only look at my USMLE score.
Thoughts?
you have an above-average usmle score.....relax....and congratulations

Well, if it is true that the scores only come out every other Friday then that would put you over the six week mark if you did not hear till next Friday. I was also hoping for scores today, but it is looking as though it will not happen. I took mine on the 24th.

When are June 18th scores coming out, I thought perhaps today, but no luck so far.

I took it on June 20th and my score is up:

USMLE - 252/99
COMLEX - 706

I also wanted to point out that my COMSAE score was 100 points below my COMLEX - so not the most accurate self assessment ever.

I took it on June 20th and my score is up:

USMLE - 252/99
COMLEX - 706

I also wanted to point out that my COMSAE score was 100 points below my COMLEX - so not the most accurate self assessment ever.
I also took it on June 20th and just got the score online.

COMLEX - 600/89

VERY excited to finally be done worrying about whether I passed! Congrats to all the rockstars with the awesome scores, I'm happy with my "piddley" 600 and I must say that COMSAE actually predicted my score within 2 points (602).

Peace out ya'll, I'm getting married tomorrow!

USMLE- 230's
COMLEX-678/94

yay!!! I got a 531 on the practice test and I took it the week b4 my test, but I didn't go over anatomy or OMM until three days b4 the COMLEX...

USMLE (June 21) - 220/91
COMLEX (June 30) - 614/90

I seriously had absolutely no idea what kind of score I'd end up with after taking the comlex, so I'm honestly happy to see I passed. I think if you know your OMM, you're at a significant advantage, since these questions can provide you with some really easy points.

629 on COMSAE, which I thought was much easier.

EM, here I hopefully come. Congrats to everyone! Congrats to DJ and the upcoming wedding!

Last edited:
717/97

Took it in laaaaate June. Now wishing I had taken the USMLE too. Maybe in August, no rush though.

Good luck to all that have yet to check their scores.

717/97

Took it in laaaaate June. Now wishing I had taken the USMLE too. Maybe in August, no rush though.

This could just be the jealous person in me talking, but your first post ever on SDN was your Step 1 score?

This could just be the jealous person in me talking, but your first post ever on SDN was your Step 1 score?

No worries... been lurkin' for about two years, just have not had anything to contribute. Figured I did well once it was done, but did not see any utility in posting my studying schedule unless it paid off.

No bragging, just posting. After all, nobody here knows me, so what is there to gain? Just hoping to help others with my approach towards preparation once I get around to posting it up.

yay it's finally up...i thought I did much worse than I did, just did not feel good about it like I did the USMLE, but I'm very happy...

USMLE - 245/99
COMLEX - 685/95

Now just to figure whether I go allopathic or osteo for residency...oh and by the way COMSAE was 597

717/97

when i got my score, i was trying to figure out how these numbers work out...

my mathmamamics ain't so good so bear with me

if 500 is the mean and SD = 79

579 1SD
658 2SD
737 3SD
(theoretical max score of 800?)

how does 717 come out to only a 97 (comlex voodoo)

I'm just confused as to how these numbers work... there seems to be a low threshold for a 98/99 (less than 1SD) on usmle but a ridiculously high one for comlex.

79 - see post here.

Congrats to all on the awesome scores. :thumbup:

I believe the link in this post will answer your questions regarding the 2-digit score. Although, I did not happen to see a SD for current tests, only up to 2005. Maybe I am just missing it.

579 1SD
658 2SD
737 3SD

I'm just confused as to how these numbers work... there seems to be a low threshold for a 98/99 (less than 1SD) on usmle but a ridiculously high one for comlex.

I'm following you, but they only posted limited info on the website with the scores. Hopefully the hard copy I will receive in the mail will clear things up a bit? Who knows???.... It probably is voodoo.

I believe the link in this post will answer your questions regarding the 2-digit score. Although, I did not happen to see a SD for current tests, only up to 2005. Maybe I am just missing it.

Yeah, the current SD is in there, I believe. The bolded line -
From May 2006 to present, the standard deviation is 79.

My bad, I should have specified I did not see the SD for the 2-digit score on current tests, but I did see the SD for the 3-digit.

579 1SD
658 2SD
737 3SD

Its really hard to read into what exactly the numbers mean.....as they are certainly not percentiles and don't follow a standard bellcurve. There is no hard data out there for DO Match:COMLEX scores....so its really not even worth wasting your time thinking about.

That being said...I'd like to see what it takes to get a damn 99.....I was >3 sd's over the mean and still didn't get one...

Just out of curiosity, I know this has probably been posted here a million and one times before, but I am just wondering what a competitive score is for the COMLEX?? I have searched here a lot and have been unable to find an answer.....I'm having trouble understanding what score you would need to be considered "competitive" for some of the more difficult residency DO programs??

Just out of curiosity, I know this has probably been posted here a million and one times before, but I am just wondering what a competitive score is for the COMLEX?? I have searched here a lot and have been unable to find an answer.....I'm having trouble understanding what score you would need to be considered "competitive" for some of the more difficult residency DO programs??
From my friends interested in the DO ortho programs I've heard the number >600 thrown around.....but its all word of mouth.

I was told by various PDs that 540 is about the average for EM, You need at least 80th percentile for Ortho (thats a low stretch though), and 75th percentile+ for gsurg.

Keep in mind that people get in above and below the averages. For ortho that is the minimum i was told by one program.

Oh yeah and my comlex score is some made up number to make people feel bad and me feel good.