COMLEX 3 before fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jinxapotato

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

So because this thing called COVID the timing of my PGY2 year has been totally off track - I still haven't taken my COMLEX 3 exam (that I originally scheduled by late 2020)...
My question is - how important is it that I have the COMLEX 3 score in before fellowship (heme onc) application (ie June-July 2021)?... Is it OK if I pass it AFTER that time?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys!

So because this thing called COVID the timing of my PGY2 year has been totally off track - I still haven't taken my COMLEX 3 exam (that I originally scheduled by late 2020)...
My question is - how important is it that I have the COMLEX 3 score in before fellowship (heme onc) application (ie June-July 2021)?... Is it OK if I pass it AFTER that time?

Thank you!
if your program requires an unrestricted license, then you will have to take COMLEX 3 before you can get one.

You also won't be able to sit for Board certification in IM without it...and you really want to do that before you really start fellowship.

if your program requires an unrestricted license, then you will have to take COMLEX 3 before you can get one.

You also won't be able to sit for Board certification in IM without it...and you really want to do that before you really start fellowship.
Right, I understand I need to get it done before actually starting fellowship - but I am wondering if I have to get the passing mark before fellowship interviews?

As an anecdote, 1 DO resident didn't take the COMLEX until fall of 3rd year and didn't get the score until after fellowship match day. He matched GI and had a bunch of interviews at academic programs. Granted he had like 20-30 pubs but still. That said, why can't you take it before then? COVID isn't really a good excuse anymore... I took it last Fall while on wards so it might come off as you trying to dodge the exam when it comes time for fellowship interviews when almost all other candidates have already taken it (even during COVID times).