COMLEX Comlex 3 format changing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JW08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard somebody mention that Comlex 3 format is changing? is it true? I counldn't find any information on NBOME, but wanted to see if SDN experts know anything about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, changes are being made with recent NBOME review. There will be approx 50 questions with written answers, including written case scenarios, labs to run, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
They just had a meeting at the AACOM convention and stated they're transitioning to the 2-day USMLE format in 3-4 years or so. You don't have to worry about anything for a few years. There will be an update on the NBOME's website soon.

Anyone hear anything new about these changes? I'm hearing that some changes are happening now but I only see on NBOME website that changes may occur in March 2015. I'm confused. I am signed up to take it next month but I didnt get an email or anything about these changes. Any comments would be helpful cuz now I'm scared to take this thing.

They have a bunch of reports out there if you want to mull through them. They're not very explicit with the plans, but in generally they want to match up the 2-day style with the USMLE Step 3 eventually. Regardless this wont happen for a few years, 2018 per the most recent published materials. They're playing around with their new question style though as you can read in the other Level 3 forum topic.

There was some discussion of breaking Level 1 or 2 into smaller tests with more continual testing cycles, but I believe that was thrown out.

"There will be approx 50 questions with written answers, including written case scenarios, labs to run, etc."

They've already initiated a new format, as described above. Their website however doesn't inform you of this change.