COMLEX and USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

soccerbabe7582

Medical student scut
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question to those who are residency directors, have/are going through the match-> should DO students take the USMLE? I am wanting to go into General Surgery and have been preparing for both exams, but have been talking to some 4th years that say we should just do the COMLEX. Thoughts?
 
Question to those who are residency directors, have/are going through the match-> should DO students take the USMLE? I am wanting to go into General Surgery and have been preparing for both exams, but have been talking to some 4th years that say we should just do the COMLEX. Thoughts?

General Surgery - COMLEX only. Rock it (or at least above average it) and you will be fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you know if that would also apply to programs "fully integrated" with large public universitites such as U of Nevada and UC Davis? As in, do we have to meet their selection criteria and thus probably take Step 1? I'm also interested in general surgery and scored well above average on COMLEX.
 
Do you know if that would also apply to programs "fully integrated" with large public universitites such as U of Nevada and UC Davis? As in, do we have to meet their selection criteria and thus probably take Step 1? I'm also interested in general surgery and scored well above average on COMLEX.

Call the PDs. They will tell you.
 
I know I'm bringing back the dead with this post, but as im preparing for boards this summer I have the same question. Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of whether COMLEX alone is sufficient with HPSP students or if USMLE is recommended?
 
COMLEX is all you need for the military. On the other hand, if you are gunning for a competitive specialty, do the USMLE. But at worst you don't match, pay your time as a GMO/FS/UMO, then go to the civilian sector for residency.