COMLEX and USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rachel C.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, what should I study if I plan on taking COMLEX and USMLE both? Doctors in training is pretty expensive and I don't know if I will have time to finish both sessions. I definitely bought the review for COMLEX but don't know if there is crossover w/ USMLE. Anyone taken both and have advice? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Study for the USMLE (UWorld + First Aid + Pathoma) and you'll be prepared for the COMLEX. In the few days before you take COMLEX, just cram Savarese (green review book) and that's the only change you'll need to prepare for the OMM.

Reactions: 1 user
Study for the USMLE (UWorld + First Aid + Pathoma) and you'll be prepared for the COMLEX. In the few days before you take COMLEX, just cram Savarese (green review book) and that's the only change you'll need to prepare for the OMM.

^^ This is exactly what I'm doing :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you not add combank to get used to Comlex questions?

I went through like 600 COMBANK Q's during my interim period between USMLE and COMLEX and it wasn't very helpful. They were about 5x as easy, and that's it. The question style is different, but in a way that the SAT is different from the USMLE.

I went through like 600 COMBANK Q's during my interim period between USMLE and COMLEX and it wasn't very helpful. They were about 5x as easy, and that's it. The question style is different, but in a way that the SAT is different from the USMLE.

So you felt that even if USMLE question style is different from COMLEX style, UWorld is the only bank *recommended* for both? --and adding COMBANK brings no added benefit

Last edited:
So you felt that even if USMLE question style is different from COMLEX style, UWorld is the only bank *recommended* for both? --and adding COMBANK brings no added benefit

Yeah, that's how I felt. UWorld prepared me far better for COMLEX than COMBANK would have for COMLEX.