COMLEX Break Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOUNDMAN

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm still confused about the breaks for this thing. If I want to take a break between each block, and say I finish blocks early can I do this? The USMLE was so simple, you have an hour of break time, use it how you like and any extra time you finish early is added to your break time.

So I know there are 10 minute breaks after blocks 2 and 6, and a forty minute lunch apparently. Do I get more time if I finish early? Can I take a break after each section if I so choose, just like a pee break or something?

Have I mentioned how much I'm beginning to despise this test yet?

Members don't see this ad.

OK, I'm still confused about the breaks for this thing. If I want to take a break between each block, and say I finish blocks early can I do this? The USMLE was so simple, you have an hour of break time, use it how you like and any extra time you finish early is added to your break time.

So I know there are 10 minute breaks after blocks 2 and 6, and a forty minute lunch apparently. Do I get more time if I finish early? Can I take a break after each section if I so choose, just like a pee break or something?

Have I mentioned how much I'm beginning to despise this test yet?

You are only allowed to take the "maximum of 10 mins" break after blocks 2 and 6 which will be deducted from each 4 hour session, so you will end up having 3:50 to do all 4 blocks (same thing for the afternoon session). You are not allowed any breaks after other blocks. The 40 min lunch break after the 4th block is optional but will NOT be deducted from your testing time. Hope that clears it up.

No, breaks are different for COMLEX. Here's how it works: the test is divided into 2 sessions and a timer counts down from 4 hours per for each session. Within each session are 4 blocks of 50 questions each. In the morning, you can take an optional 10 minute break between block 2 and 3 and in the afternoon between block 6 and 7, but the 10 minutes is deducted from the 4 hours you have to complete the session. So in other words, the clock is running during your break (probably not a big deal, 'cause you will have plenty of time.)

For lunch, there is a 45 minute break, also optional, between sections 4 and 5 during which the clock is stopped.

Hope that helps.

So if I finish block 1 in 45 minutes, I could just leave it open go pee and come back theoretically? But probably frowned upon....

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a very similar question so I called my testing site to get to real deal.

According to NBOME guidelines you are only allowed to get up from your computer 3x, one for the 10 min break b/w sections 2 and 4, once for the lunch break and once b/w sections 6 and 7. If you get up at any other time it is marked down as "unusual behavior" and reported to the NBOME. I'm not really sure what happens with that.

So bascially if the proctors see you get up out of your seat more than 3 times, you will be "written up."

So my plan if I had time to spare after lets say the first block...I was just going to sit there and take a mini mental break before moving on.

So if I finish block 1 in 45 minutes, I could just leave it open go pee and come back theoretically? But probably frowned upon....

You could be risking some kind of incident report if you take an unauthorized break. The break schedule is pretty stupid, IMO, but it's the way they do it. The USMLE breaks make so much more sense.

Wow...I had no idea it worked this way. I'm screwed. I have a ridiculously small bladder, especially when I'm drinking coffee/water all morning. I honestly intend on taking pee breaks between each USMLE block, so I have no idea what I'll do for the COMLEX!! Simply put...******ed.

So if you scream through the test and get done with your morning block in say 2.5 hours, do you still only have 40 minutes for lunch? or can you take longer?

So if you scream through the test and get done with your morning block in say 2.5 hours, do you still only have 40 minutes for lunch? or can you take longer?

you only have 40 minutes for lunch regardless of how fast you finish the morning session

I guess this is just another example of how far removed from reality the NBOME/AOA/Whoever in the DO world is...

I guess this is just another example of how far removed from reality the NBOME/AOA/Whoever in the DO world is...

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner...tell him what he wins Bob...

You win a free spin on the COMLEX express...enjoy with that tiny little bladder of yours!!

after "experiencing" the comsae, and reading this, and hearing horror stories from classmates...

I'm ashamed to hear that my professors write Q for this test.

funny, although i always complained about the OMM exams at my school, they still seem better than the avg fair for comPlex.

Wow...I had no idea it worked this way. I'm screwed. I have a ridiculously small bladder, especially when I'm drinking coffee/water all morning. I honestly intend on taking pee breaks between each USMLE block, so I have no idea what I'll do for the COMLEX!! Simply put...******ed.
---> foley + baggy pants

if you take longer than 40 mins for lunch, it gets deducted from your afternoon 4 hr block, I just learned that b/c I was like 30 sec late by the time I signed in a fingerprinted, and the clock was counting down from 4 hrs, not 40 mins, but I had plenty of time to spare in the end anyways

It's all good. COMLEX Level 1 will probably go away within 2 years of USMLE Step 1 going away....and supposedly they are working on integrating it into Step 2.....Remember -- big brother has to take the lead....

There's a thread over on the osteopathic forum proposing that we lose the COMLEX Level 1 and add an OMM specific section for osteopathic students to the USMLE....not a bad idea if you think about it.

Or better yet, since about 1/2 of the osteopathic students despise OMM anyway, why don't we just dump it as part of the didactic curriculum, make it an elective extra year for those who really want the training before they graduate and be done with it......

Sorry....the negative JPB just came back out.....