COMLEX I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm taking COMLEX I much like many other people on this website in a few weeks, and i just have a few questions. I'm not taking any prep-courses (the one offered by NSU-COM, or any other ones), so I have no one to learn on...

Is embryology covered in COMLEX?

How intricate do I need to know my drug MOA/SE... do I need to know what sets drugs apart, or should I know everything about the drug (i.e. the general CI of loop diuretics, or do I have to know every CI/SE of loop diuretics)?

Neuroanatomy? 'nuff said

Thanks for your help in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Here are some of my words of wisdom.
COMLEX...2 days...they hit everything, even the most obscure crap. Lots of pharm, lots of general IM and FP (CHF, CAD, Pulmonology, general ortho etc), lots of obviously bad questions. Look for KEY words.
USMLE...better written, lots of MOA, genetics, research related questions, ethics, good pictures, easier format.

In my opinion, the best review for the COMLEX I was the "First Aid for the USMLE". I took both the COMLEX Step I and the USMLE Step I and "First Aid" was a better review for the COMLEX. To me, the COMLEX had more "buzzword" type of questions. The USMLE required more interpretation of data and graphs. Not much neuro on the COMLEX. Very little statistics on the COMLEX. I used a Blue cover OMT Review to cover the OMT portion of the COMLEX. Know the Fryette's mechanics and the spinal innervation levels. That's about all I can remember. Don't get freaked out. There are some questions that no one know the answer, so keep in mind the COMLEX is meant to be passed, and most people do pass.

Good Luck,

Will

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are sure you will only apply to allopathic programs (and some of those still want USMLE scores) then you will have to take both. The osteopathic schools require you to take COMLEX, but your residency choice may still want USMLE. I am sure William will correct my if I am wrong, but I think this is his reason.

WILLIAM, NOW GET BACK TO WORK! :p

Billie

I can say that I took both so as to not limit my options. I feel that as medical students, we should be able to pass either COMLEX or USMLE. So, I took and passed both.

Is it difficult to take both the COMPLEX and the USMLE? If you study for the COMPLEX and do well, would it mean that you would do just as well on the USMLE?

Thanx

Yes, I agree completely with Billie about my reasons for taking both the COMLEX and USMLE. Billie and a very wise and savvy 4th year med student that I look up to. Even now, she knows that I should be out working in my garden instead of hanging out in student forums.

Anyway, being from Alabama (where my garden is now going weeds quite well from all the rain), there aren't many AOA approved Family Med residencies near my home (with the garden). I'm looking at two residency programs near my my home (and garden). One will gladly accept either the COMEX or USMLE, the other strongly prefers the USMLE. Taking both exams helps to keep all my options open. But, there is always the chance I may just drop med school and become a full time cantalope grower.

Will

For those who've taken COMLEX and USMLE - what was the time between them and how different were your scores? I won't be taking USMLE until late summer and thus have that much more time to study for it (right after COMLEX we have a 2 week no-exam, required attendance course so I will have afternoons free and might as well get back to studying right away...) and I'm hoping this will reflect well on my scores. Comments?

Originally posted by William Bohannon:
•...Billie and a very wise and savvy 4th year med student that I look up to. ...

Will•

Wise & Savvy? Look up to? What kind of Alabama crack you smokin' boy? ;)

your pal in horiticulture...

Billie :p

;)