Comlex level 1 2010 experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr1216

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just realized that we haven't gotten one started year (at least I didn't find one with the search). So, for those of you who have taken it already, please share your experiences (subject break down, types of questions, what resources you used and would recommend , additional advice, etc).

Congratulations on being done!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys:

Just got my COMLEX scores back. Not quite sure how to feel about it. My goal is Orthopedics; however, I will most likely go ACGME. I focused my study totally on the USMLE and NOT on the COMLEX. The only thing I did for the COMLEX was read the Kaplan OMM book once and the Cram pages once for a total of about 6 hours. I did well enough on the USMLE to get into ACGME ortho. My goal on the COMLEX was to do high enough that if I didn't get a high enough score to ACGME ortho, I could maybe do AOA.

Actual COMLEX Score = 616/90.

The NBOME converter said it was like 92%. One question, is this good enough for an AOA ortho residency? Other things - I'm number 8 in my class, and I have 200 hrs of ortho research with a couple of research awards, a club president, took some extra honors classes, got some volunteering awards. I know all that stuff matters, too. I knew if I didn't put that I would get some response saying that the boards aren't the only thing they take into consideration. But what I'm most concerned about is the board score. I know some of you guys will know, because you have researched AOA stuff. All I have really researched is ACGME stuff. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you guys!

Hey guys:

Just got my COMLEX scores back. Not quite sure how to feel about it. My goal is Orthopedics; however, I will most likely go ACGME. I focused my study totally on the USMLE and NOT on the COMLEX. The only thing I did for the COMLEX was read the Kaplan OMM book once and the Cram pages once for a total of about 6 hours. I did well enough on the USMLE to get into ACGME ortho. My goal on the COMLEX was to do high enough that if I didn't get a high enough score to ACGME ortho, I could maybe do AOA.

Actual COMLEX Score = 616/90.

The NBOME converter said it was like 92%. One question, is this good enough for an AOA ortho residency? Other things - I'm number 8 in my class, and I have 200 hrs of ortho research with a couple of research awards, a club president, took some extra honors classes, got some volunteering awards. I know all that stuff matters, too. I knew if I didn't put that I would get some response saying that the boards aren't the only thing they take into consideration. But what I'm most concerned about is the board score. I know some of you guys will know, because you have researched AOA stuff. All I have really researched is ACGME stuff. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you guys!

most programs have a screen around 600 so you should get interviews at most places.

which ACGME ortho spots are you considering? i want to go that route as well but its so risky to give up your spot in the DO match.

most programs have a screen around 600 so you should get interviews at most places.

which ACGME ortho spots are you considering? i want to go that route as well but its so risky to give up your spot in the DO match.

Thanks for the reply. I'd rather not say which ACGME ortho residencies I am considering. It would give away my location and several of my classmates are on here. I have posted both my USMLE and COMLEX scores in different forums, therefore, I would like to maintain anonymity. I hope you understand. I'll just say that they are nearby programs where I know the attendings and residents well, and that is why I feel I have a good shot. I would say focus on those for you as well. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So my COMLEX score is 541/85. Where does this put me? I know 400 is passing, 500 is average, and 800 is maximum, but that's about it.
Well, the only thing you don't know then is that 80ish is the std deviation, and the nbome has a free calculator on their website so you can calculate your percentile. But since I'm so awesome, I did it for you! You're in the 71st percentile according to last year's data. (shouldn't change much from year to year)

This thread has noT helped me very much, but I'm in a generous mood. I scored over a 750 on the COMLEX. I'm not going to feed you the trash advice and "expert" opinion that floats around on this network. I'm giving it to you cut and dry.

1) if you are reading this and have not taken the test, quit wasting your time, take your ADD meds and go study
2) study the way that has always worked for you
3) eat a lot of fiber. Would you ever go on a first date constipated, full of poop, and bloated. I think not. You will tango better on test day if you're not having to do colon massages to stimulate your bowels.
4) respect. Respect the comlex, as it may humble you
5) dance, even if it's in your own living room.

I dunno dude... that other guy said he got 813 so I am not sure I can trust this advice.

But since I'm so awesome, I did it for you!
Ha ha, you are awesome! Thanks.

Now I just wonder how competitive this would make me for applying to residency... I am planning on going into either internal medicine or family medicine.

Has anyone heard if they're planning on releasing scores tomorrow?

Guys If Im applying to ACMGE program and I have taken both USMLE and COMLEX, could I just release my COMLEX scores or I have to release my USMLE as well? Will they see that I have taken USMLE?
How about the other way around. If im applying to AOA, can I just release my COMLEX and not the USMLE??
Please answer if you are sure
Thanks

Does anybody think we will see a score release tomorrow? Seems like they are released on Fridays.

I don't know but I hope so. It'll be 3 weeks tomorrow since the last score release and I can't take any more waiting. Its been 5 weeks now.

Has anyone taken their test in the last few days? Some tips for places to concentrate during my last two weeks of studying would be great. I really have been focusing on Micro, Path and Pharm. Any experiences on how the test has gone in the past few weeks would be great.

got my score a few days ago.
test dates:
-usmle 7/13 - 244/99
-comlex 7/20 - 680/95

comsae 3 days prior predicted me at 674. there was some pure clinical stuff on ob/gyn, but there was no way i could answer some of the questions. seems sort of step 2ish. lots of pharm side effects. most of the questions were straightforward, 1st or 2nd order. if you've been prepping for usmle via usmle world, you're good to go.

hardest question i got dealt was probably what the etiology of increased hemoglobin, based on RBC mass, plasma volume, etc.

otherwise, i thought both my tests were fairly balanced.

To me a lot of the COMLEX questions were Step 2ish... not appropriate for the first exam. I never had a question on USMLE that I looked at and thought, wow I have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

anyone know or know how to find out what the highest score on the comlex is....cuz its not 800