COMLEX PE Date December

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epilepsy365

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Can anyone please check the schedule for any available date in December?

This is my first failure, and it was the humanism portion. Please help and let me know of any dates in December. I'm very depressed right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
chicago on dec 11th:
1574818295545.png

Philly on dec 12th:
1574818328201.png

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone please check the schedule for any available date in December?

This is my first failure, and it was the humanism portion. Please help and let me know of any dates in December. I'm very depressed right now.
Sorry this happened to you. As discussed in other threads, the failures seem at random often, so I really feel for you. If my post above is confusing, I had Dec 11th for Chicago and Dec 12th for Philly open. Call them in the morning and try to schedule.

I'm hustling the phone hard tomorrow. This is the best news that I have received for today. Thank you so much for this community.

I'm hustling the phone hard tomorrow. This is the best news that I have received for today. Thank you so much for this community.
Is this your 2nd or 3rd attempt? I would try to do that West Virginia 2 day course if all possible. Its only like $300 I think.

Can everyone here give me all the "must do" points for humanism at this point? I am thinking very hard about my encounter to see what could the the missing pieces. Please advise me. Thank you everyone.

Can everyone here give me all the "must do" points for humanism at this point? I am thinking very hard about my encounter to see what could the the missing pieces. Please advise me. Thank you everyone.
Sorry to hear about this. I didn’t fail humanism when I took it the first time. But try to to watch the Kauffman videos for humanistic tips. I think they’re more than enough.

Apologize for how this is making them feel. Say That must be awful for you.
Give them time to answer questions.
Try to anticipate questions and provide the kind of information you would want.
Always talk about followup.

What do you guys said during the physical exam? I'm convinced that the reason that I fail this thing is bc I breeze through the PE exams w/o saying stuff like
"I know that this light is very bright and it can hurt your eyes. I apologize for that. Are you fine with me using it to look at your eyes."
"I'm sorry that my stethoscope is cold"
"I'm sorry that my hands are cold"
Or for abd exam, I said "flat and non distended", and then auscultate, tap, and then percussion. Instead I should have said, "permission to touch your skin?" and "it can get uncomfortable with me pushing your stomach. Please let me know if you feel uncomfortable at any point."

Do you guys do these things? I'm at the lower performance spectrum, so there are some obvious deficiencies that are messing me up.

I always drape properly for abd exam, like putting a cloth covering the pt and looking away while the pt lifts up the gown. I always tell them my plans, follow-up appointment, and ask them if they need help with notes, calling, or anything.

Otherwise, during the encounters, I do repeat important stuff that they said while I'm writing it down.

What do you guys said during the physical exam? I'm convinced that the reason that I fail this thing is bc I breeze through the PE exams w/o saying stuff like
"I know that this light is very bright and it can hurt your eyes. I apologize for that. Are you fine with me using it to look at your eyes."
Or for abd exam, I said "flat and non distended", and then auscultate, tap, and then percussion. Instead I should have said, "permission to touch your skin?" and "it can get uncomfortable with me pushing your stomach. Please let me know if you feel uncomfortable at any point."

Do you guys do these things? I'm at the lower performance spectrum, so there are some obvious deficiencies that are messing me up.

I always drape properly for abd exam, like putting a cloth covering the pt and looking away while the pt lifts up the gown. I always tell them my plans, follow-up appointment, and ask them if they need help with notes, calling, or anything.

Otherwise, during the encounters, I do repeat important stuff that they said while I'm writing it down.

Idk if it applies to you guys, but, for my CS i talk through the entire physical exam. Explain what I will do beforehand and ALWAYS ask for permission. I do what you mention with the abdominal exam.

I failed as well. 4th here too. Been checking dates and don't see anything available.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone still see the available dates in December? I'm refreshing my screen every 5 secs and I'm not seeing anything. I also called this morning and nobody is seeing any opening. Please help!

Keep checking multiple times a day. If I recall right, the most often things would open up was Mon-Thurs 8-10am EST. People cancel and reschedule all the time, so I'd keep at it.

You should also call them, sometimes they have slots explicitly for people that failed.

Good luck, this sucks, but it's not the end of the world. I have a few friends that failed this exam and most went on do fine, eventually pass, and get into a GME program.

I've been checking nonstop and didn't see anything show up on the calendar they have. I left a voicemail at the number you listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been checking nonstop and didn't see anything show up on the calendar they have. I left a voicemail at the number you listed.

Hey, did you get a spot in Dec? I really really hope so for you! Keep trying!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, did you get a spot in Dec? I really really hope so for you! Keep trying!
I did not. The lady called me back and said that she had the same view that I did. She expressed hope that someone will cancel, and me being a retaker will see spots that someone scheduling their first test may not see.

She said no new tests will be added in December.

I'll keep checking for openings.

I did not. The lady called me back and said that she had the same view that I did. She expressed hope that someone will cancel, and me being a retaker will see spots that someone scheduling their first test may not see.

I wish you the best of luck! If you need help for practice or any advice, don't hesitate to post it online or just contact me directly. The PE is a stupidly vastly subjective exam that has no reason to exist or the power to derail anyone's career! Maybe I am just an unhappy, sour customer but I HATE HATE HATE it with a passion.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ask for permission to touch a patient. Never walk into a clinical encounter (even if it's not an exam) and just start prodding at people. On an exam, that's an automatic failure and in real life, it's just bad medicine. You always ask for permission and tell the patient what you're going to do. "Is it okay if I press on your stomach? I'm just going to listen to your stomach." Also, don't memorize things to say. Don't say "sorry for the light in your eyes" if there's no light (saw a student do this). That will also cost your points. Just be a decent human being. You wouldn't put your hands on anyone before asking, would you? Treat the patient the same.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ask for permission to touch a patient. Never walk into a clinical encounter (even if it's not an exam) and just start prodding at people. On an exam, that's an automatic failure and in real life, it's just bad medicine. You always ask for permission and tell the patient what you're going to do. "Is it okay if I press on your stomach? I'm just going to listen to your stomach." Also, don't memorize things to say. Don't say "sorry for the light in your eyes" if there's no light (saw a student do this). That will also cost your points. Just be a decent human being. You wouldn't put your hands on anyone before asking, would you? Treat the patient the same.

About this whole asking permission thing. In my OSCEs, I always said stuff like,

"Do you have any questions for me before we start the PE? I'm going to start the physical exam now, ok?"

"I'm looking at your eyes" (with light source) "Everything normal"
"Is it ok for me to unbutton your gown from the back? I'm going to listen to your lung" auscultate 6 back and 4 front
"I'm listening to your heart" auscultate AP "Can you lower your gown and move your breast tissue to the side and up?" auscultate TM
"I'm looking at your stomach. Flat and non distended." "I'm going to listen to your stomach." auscultate 4 quadrants. "I'm going to tap your stomach. Tap 4 quadrants. "I'm going to lightly push your stomach. Let me know if you feel any discomfort." Lightly push 4 quadrants of stomach. "I'm going to deeply push your stomach now. Please let me know of any discomfort." Deeply push 4 quadrants of stomach

Neuro exam:
"I'm going to look at your head for any trauma" Look through hairs with fingers
H test
Sensation test. I personally don't ask for permission here. Touch V1, V2, V3 dermatonies and ask "Everything normal and the same?" for each dermatome
"Smile for me. Close your eyes. Don't let me open your eyes. Open your eyes now. How many fingers I'm holding up?" "Turn your head against my hands" "Shrug your shoulders" "Open your mouth. Said ah.... Move your tongue L and R."
Doc: touch arm from top to down "Everything normal and the same?" for each dermatones
"Hold your hands out" Then check A&O Qs here
"Hold your hands out like this" "Push against my me" Check biceps, triceps, arm grips, etc...
Doc put hands on thighs "Push against me" Doc put hands on calves "Push against me" Doc put hands on ankles "step down like you're stepping on the gas pedal. Move your ankles up now."
"I'm going to check your reflex." Tap knee and achilles and babinski
Doc rub inner and outer knee areas and run down for dermatomes "Everything normal and the same?" multiple times

It takes me about 1-2 mins to run through a complete Neuro exam. However, I'm a very bit scared if I'm going this fast and getting auto fail here. If I ask for permission for every maneuver, it's going to take me forever. Please take a look and give me any feedbacks.

Last edited:
Is it automatically assumed that you can TOUCH them besides sensitive body parts (chest area and axillary portions for ladies, and inner and outside upper thighs), when you have their permission to perform a PHYSICAL EXAM?

Please give me your thoughts about this topic. Thank you.

I also failed my PE exam and found out late November. It is frustrating to try to find a date in December since it is all filled. The only dates available are in January which will release results in March 3 to 13th. I failed on the data-gathering portion.

Does Failed PE exam grade get automatically updated on ERAS?

Also, can a program possibly rank people who did not pass their PE exam yet?

• Sad
I also failed my PE exam and found out late November. It is frustrating to try to find a date in December since it is all filled. The only dates available are in January which will release results in March 3 to 13th. I failed on the data-gathering portion.

First, I am so sorry that you failed this exam. It is really unfortunate and it implies nothing at all about your skill as a doctor! For your question, the failed PE will not be automatically updated on ERAS at all. So, all the programs that have interviewed you did not know about it yet! It behooves you now to check which program will automatically disqualify you if they learned of your failed. I have heard of horror tales that sometimes the program will even withdraw their invite if they learned that you failed a board. This is the unfortunate side of having the failed result came in late. While an early failed may restrict your interview numbers, you know that whatever interviews you get, they have already seen your failed and they still want to talk with you.

From what I have read, you don't need to tell them at all if they don't. However, if they do, it always better to be honest and upfront about it.

From all the places that I have interviewed at so far with no exception, I was told by the coordinator that I need my pass before the ROL deadline. However, this is my experience with n=1. Others who will know more can probably tell better.

Regardless, your main goal, right now, is to reschedule the earliest date that you will feel comfortable passing. As well, keep refreshing the NBOME sites as you may get lucky!

Hi Lilyhopeless,

Thank you for your support. I just talked to my school advisor today and she recommends me to not mention it unless the interviewer specifically asks about it. She also told me to bring my failed report to show that I did not fail the humanistic part, which is important for family medicine.

Among the interviews I had, only a few mentioned about why my PE grade is not back yet, but most of them did not ask about PE at all. During the interview time when I haven't got my grade back yet, I told them I took it and is waiting for the grade so they told me that they will check back on it once I get my grade back.

Yes my main goal is to reschedule the date as soon as possible. My advisor recommends December since I will get my score before March. She recommends me to still rank all the programs I interviewed just to give it a shot.

COMBANK PE videos are really great for both portions of exam, but especially humanistic. He has several videos dedicated to how to pass this portion and also why most people fail. I’m really sorry you’re going through this. I hope it works out for you & wish you the best of luck on retake.

Hi Lilyhopeless,

Thank you for your support. I just talked to my school advisor today and she recommends me to not mention it unless the interviewer specifically asks about it. She also told me to bring my failed report to show that I did not fail the humanistic part, which is important for family medicine.

Among the interviews I had, only a few mentioned about why my PE grade is not back yet, but most of them did not ask about PE at all. During the interview time when I haven't got my grade back yet, I told them I took it and is waiting for the grade so they told me that they will check back on it once I get my grade back.

Yes my main goal is to reschedule the date as soon as possible. My advisor recommends December since I will get my score before March. She recommends me to still rank all the programs I interviewed just to give it a shot.

Just to prep you on how they can ask the question, sometimes they can be so sneaky to ask any prior experience of failure and how you dealt with it!

I hope this won't come across as me being nosey at all but have you any plan on how to pass the retake yet? I am asking because, unfortunately with the timing the way it is, you might be required to take it with only 2 to 3 days' notice! The call may come in for a retake within 3 to 4 days and you may feel compelled to take it just to save your match list.

Epilepsy365, Thanks for the advice on calling. I will try to call her too and hopefully, I can get my exam scheduled in December. For the physical exam, I give the patients a heads up so there are no surprises on what I will do. As I do the physical exam, I talk along the way to help save time. Sometimes I might forget a review of system but will remember it as I do the physical exam so I will ask the patients about it too. For the humanistic portion, I think discussing your main diagnosis and your plan with the patients clearly can help a lot since I have a friend who failed humanism back in May because she did not have enough time left to talk about the plans with the patient.

Lilyhopeless, I was down for a few days and I thought really hard on exactly why I failed the PE. I read more information about exactly what data gathering means. I think the reason I failed is because I have not done enough pertinent physical exams for some of the patients. For some of the patients, the bare minimum I did the heart and lungs but I don't think that is sufficient. I think by improving that one component I should have no problem passing the exam since I used the CODIERS SMASH FM FED TACOS mnemonic for all my patients for history taking and I did not have any failure for humanism, SOAP note, and OMM.

I read through the COMBANK book by Dr. Hauffman and I think it greatly helped me to realize more on what pertinent body system I should examine so I won't fail the data-gathering portion again. I have been practicing the physical exam a lot recently to shorten my time due to the limited 14 minutes we have for the entire encounter.

My school also offered me remediation. They plan for me to see 3 standardized patients with recording hopefully next Saturday. The school said I can then meet with my D.O. family medicine professor to watch the recorded video with me to find any of my flaws, and give me any tips he might have.

Epilepsy365, Thanks for the advice on calling. I will try to call her too and hopefully, I can get my exam scheduled in December. For the physical exam, I give the patients a heads up so there are no surprises on what I will do. As I do the physical exam, I talk along the way to help save time. Sometimes I might forget a review of system but will remember it as I do the physical exam so I will ask the patients about it too. For the humanistic portion, I think discussing your main diagnosis and your plan with the patients clearly can help a lot since I have a friend who failed humanism back in May because she did not have enough time left to talk about the plans with the patient.

Lilyhopeless, I was down for a few days and I thought really hard on exactly why I failed the PE. I read more information about exactly what data gathering means. I think the reason I failed is because I have not done enough pertinent physical exams for some of the patients. For some of the patients, the bare minimum I did the heart and lungs but I don't think that is sufficient. I think by improving that one component I should have no problem passing the exam since I used the CODIERS SMASH FM FED TACOS mnemonic for all my patients for history taking and I did not have any failure for humanism, SOAP note, and OMM.

I read through the COMBANK book by Dr. Hauffman and I think it greatly helped me to realize more on what pertinent body system I should examine so I won't fail the data-gathering portion again. I have been practicing the physical exam a lot recently to shorten my time due to the limited 14 minutes we have for the entire encounter.

My school also offered me remediation. They plan for me to see 3 standardized patients with recording hopefully next Saturday. The school said I can then meet with my D.O. family medicine professor to watch the recorded video with me to find any of my flaws, and give me any tips he might have.

I hope you did not take anything I said a rebuke to you at all! I meant nothing such! I was only hoping to ready you for the exam that can come at any moment. With that said, your plan sounds good! The fact that your school offers you extra coaching with SP and going through recorded video is a good idea. I thought they were very helpful for me! The tuition is as pricy as it is, better takes advantages of it while we still can. It is always better to have extra pairs of eyes to watch and critic us before the exam.

***There are currently 2 December dates in Chicago and 1 December date in Pennsylvania!!!!***

(Sorry if you see this on a couple threads about PE failure, but trying to help people out that were looking for dates.)

***There are currently 2 December dates in Chicago and 1 December date in Pennsylvania!!!!***

(Sorry if you see this on a couple threads about PE failure, but trying to help people out that were looking for dates.)

i do not see it for some reason.... can you tell me what dates you are seeing? thanks!
this is the second time other individuals can see dates that I cannot. are you a third year? fourth year? Retaking?

1575344972319.png
1575345017476.png

Last edited:
OMG!!! Please tell me you got a date!!!

i found out my eligibility period is wrong. Its set for 4/1/2020-10/31/2020 instead. although it let me schedule a january test date. i'll have to call them tomorrow.

i found out my eligibility period is wrong. Its set for 4/1/2020-10/31/2020 instead. although it let me schedule a january test date. i'll have to call them tomorrow.

Argh, this is so freaking frustrating!!! Though are you sure it is not your school? I don't remember mine ever had any eligibility date on it! Some school I heard want you to go through their remediation process first before they will let you retake the PE! Also I don't understand why your date doesn't show up, I just don't think it is related to eligibility to begin with! I still can check the date as it is and I can no longer schedule the exam.

Just a safety precaution, try to log in with 2 different browsers and hopefully one of them will show you the availability!

In any case, hustle your phone tomorrow!!! Wish you the best!

Argh, this is so freaking frustrating!!! Though are you sure it is not your school? I don't remember mine ever had any eligibility date on it! Some school I heard want you to go through their remediation process first before they will let you retake the PE! Also I don't understand why your date doesn't show up, I just don't think it is related to eligibility to begin with! I still can check the date as it is and I can no longer schedule the exam.

Just a safety precaution, try to log in with 2 different browsers and hopefully one of them will show you the availability!

In any case, hustle your phone tomorrow!!! Wish you the best!

eligibity is on the main page when you login. the dates were wrong. this has eaten at me for a week. ive refreshed their website every 15 minutes for the past week. waking up at random hours of the night too. i'm kinda angry b/c of the heartache that this has put me through, given the possiblity of not being able to go through match. thanks for everyone's help!

a.png

Call first thing 7 Am Philly time guys. No bs. Set that alarm and stay glued to the computer

eligibity is on the main page when you login. the dates were wrong. this has eaten at me for a week. ive refreshed their website every 15 minutes for the past week. waking up at random hours of the night too. i'm kinda angry b/c of the heartache that this has put me through, given the possiblity of not being able to go through match. thanks for everyone's help!

View attachment 288152

Hmm that is strange and that is what I meant that I think it is the school thing and not NBOME thing! In any case, call the NBOME first thing tomorrow morning and then follow up from there!

For ref, this is what I have on my page and it has always been like that since forever:

1575353505062.png

Sorry! I’m on surgery and went to sleep right after I posted. Here are the dates I can see!

i called in and they are telling me there are still no dates available in December for me

• Sad
@SOOyC52H1Sof I'm sorry that this has just been very difficult!!! Have you at least figured out what happened to the eligibility date range?

Have you at least gotten one of the posted date last night? I so hope you did

@SOOyC52H1Sof I'm sorry that this has just been very difficult!!! Have you at least figured out what happened to the eligibility date range?

Have you at least gotten one of the posted date last night? I so hope you did
Apparently those dean designated dates are just suggestions and don't restrict scheduling. I was not able to get a December test date. The NBOME reps said that everybody's calendar is different, and that the system does not show test dates open for me.

They said that they do have a system in place for holding test dates for retakers, and insist on there not being any open dates currently. I just don't understand why their system is not working to my benefit as someone in my shoes should qualify for those reserved seat.

• Wow
Apparently those dean designated dates are just suggestions and don't restrict scheduling. I was not able to get a December test date. The NBOME reps said that everybody's calendar is different, and that the system does not show test dates open for me.

They said that they do have a system in place for holding test dates for retakers, and insist on there not being any open dates currently. I just don't understand why their system is not working to my benefit as someone in my shoes should qualify for those reserved seat.

They told me the same thing. Call back multiple times and ask for last minute cancellation date availability.

The rep called me back and got me scheduled in on their end! What an emotional Rollercoaster. Thanks so much guys!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
This test is absolutely ridiculous. One test which is subjectively scored for the most part can derail 4 years of hard work. Cannot believe this hasn't been challenged yet. If a student has been able to perform adequately and/or well during clinical rotations that should be enough. This is a test of your acting skills, not clinical skills.
Good Luck to all those retaking in December.

Reactions: 2 users
I hope you did not take anything I said a rebuke to you at all! I meant nothing such! I was only hoping to ready you for the exam that can come at any moment. With that said, your plan sounds good! The fact that your school offers you extra coaching with SP and going through recorded video is a good idea. I thought they were very helpful for me! The tuition is as pricy as it is, better take advantages of it while we still can. It is always better to have extra pairs of eyes to watch and critic us before the exam.

Lilyhopeless, thank you for your consideration. I did not take what you said negatively. Yes, tuition is pricey so it is great that my school is offering us opportunities for improvement. Ironically, during my interviews recently, I was anxious that they will ask about my PE score. One of the programs I interviewed at for some reason had all my COMLEX score and it wrote COMLEX PE pass which I did not. I went back to NBOME website to be certain that I really did not pass it. The interview I had today didn't mention about PE exam.

SOOyC52H1Sof I am glad you got a date. I got one in December too. I am going to take a week off to just plan the trip.

jestum55, yes it is ridiculous how the test does not even give feedback on what we did wrong. It only vaguely say you did not do well on either data gathering, SOAP, OMM, or humanistic. They should release an actual rubric on exactly what they are looking for and how many points each one worth and how many points we need in each category to pass.

Reactions: 4 users
I understand this is a stressful time for everyone involved, but please refrain from posting identifying information or contact information for any specific person online. We've received multiple requests for this information to be removed, and continuing to post this information will result in warnings.

I passed my COMLEX level 2 PE on my second attempt! I want to thank everyone here who helped me because if it wasn't for your support, I will not be able to schedule my COMLEX PE on time to fulfill for the match and graduate on time. I cannot believe how this one exam almost derailed my entire medical career. I did much more physical exam on my second attempt and did a lot of physical exam practice on family members. I also went to school for remediation and got much practice there too.

I met with my medical school counselor and she recommended me to Email all the programs I interviewed about my COMLEX PE score so they know exactly what I failed on my first attempt because uploading the score on ERAS only mentions FAIL without further details on the specific categories.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I passed my second PE attempt as well! My school was unable to offer a remediation course for me in December since the first two classes were taking the OSCEs during that time before the winter break on campus. I was able to secure a December test date 7-9 days beforehand. With that little amount of time, I focused on working on timed SOAP notes using the Kaufman cases. I also tried working on pertinent ROS and differentials for the most common complaints.

I felt much more confident during my second go at it, except when it came to documenting my physical exam. Similar to OSCEs at school, you are working with healthy people so most of the exam is normal so you often wonder what you should be documenting.

I felt like i bombed my last two cases. During both, I tried performing OMM and had to stop.
The first case, I asked the patient to reposition themselves so I could perform OMM. I saw she was struggling, but i was so focused on my thought process it didnt occur to me until late to offer her assistance while moving. While I performed OMM, the patient stated it was not helping.
The second case, the patient said OMM was exacerbating the pain. :( I was like 'oh god, this is gonna cause me to fail.' I stopped performing it immediately and asked for a moment to reconsider my diagnosis and treatment. I sat there for almost 2 minutes and had no idea what to do. I'm almost positive I failed that case... I still have no idea what the guy was suffering from.

Funny tho, there was this one girl in my group who went absolutely ballistic at the proctors when she found out there could be 'information on an electronic device' that needed to be reviewed in the room. some people just do not know how to not make a scene. She kept asking for permission to "tell everyone b/c I did not know this at all until right now".

• Love