Nov 9, 2013
Status
Medical Student
For abnormal Blood pressures how many of you repeated them? If we dont repeat them can we just write in our note that we will perform it later?

Roberie

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I didn't repeat any vitals. I didn't feel I had the time. I may have mentioned it in the plan but can't remember.

BigSib

Rural Family Dr
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2013
Status
Attending Physician
You don't have to repeat them, but make sure it's part of your plan.

Trogghunter

7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Don't repeat unless you don't believe the vitals for whatever reason. Yeah don't repeat them unless you want to waste time. Do a spinal exam for everyone if you can though, and make sure to ask before you put your hands on them.

WonderBoy

15+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2001
SE
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
For abnormal Blood pressures how many of you repeated them? If we dont repeat them can we just write in our note that we will perform it later?
You can repeat the BP, it takes about 30 seconds. If you feel rushed or forget, you can write in your note. Closing is important so don't sacrifice that to check BP if you hear the two minute warning.

Roberie

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You can repeat the BP, it takes about 30 seconds. If you feel rushed or forget, you can write in your note. Closing is important so don't sacrifice that to check BP if you hear the two minute warning.
Yeah but the fact is, "why bother?" You don't need to repeat any vitals to pass the exam and there is so much else you should really be covering in the encounter. Sure it only takes a minute, but why not spend that time counseling the patient or explaining their condition?