Comlex PE REASSURANCE Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StaystrongDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! So I'm starting this thread as a central location to post all the stuff you did wrong/ missed on this test, but still ended up passing. I know pretty much everyone passes, but those 8 weeks are torturous. All it takes is one search on SDN, and the anxiety level goes through the roof with all the posts of failure. I figured if we had one thread will all the successes with all our mistakes, it could potentially help those future examinees during the long, eternal, wait.

So here's my list:
1) Completely missed 1 diagnosis
2) made a typo in one note where it seemed as if I mis-represented findings
3) Didn't verbally offer follow-up to every single patient... maybe 1/3 of patients
4) Didn't get carotids nor check for bruits on a patient that absolutely needed it
5) Forgot I was in the ED for one of my patient encounters
6) Didn't give a clear diagnosis for one patient; just pretty much said what I was gonna do for them
7) Forgot the name of my OMM technique and ended up mislabeling it in the note

What I DID do:
1) Welcomed every patient
2) Washed hands twice (upon entering and before PE)
3) Did small talk with them while I was washing hands
4) Made eye contact with all questions and during family history to offer condolences
5) Asked if they had any questions, and shook their hands before I left
6) Finished all notes, if even the bare minimum
7) Draped properly during abdominal exam
8) Explain A/P with the 11/12 patients (forgot for one somehow)

Passing this test was a bigger feeling of accomplishment than every other test, just due to the magnitude of the exam, the price of retaking, and the effect of match day.

So I hope this thread can be a source of anxiety alleviation for those future test takers! Let's see all those mistakes that didn't end up failing you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What do you mean by missed a diagnosis? Like accidentally calling allergic rhinitis a URI, or are the cases generally obvious enough that the dx can easily be ascertained?

What do you mean by missed a diagnosis? Like accidentally calling allergic rhinitis a URI, or are the cases generally obvious enough that the dx can easily be ascertained?

Yes, with a decent history, the diagnosis is usually pretty obvious. But, without going into specifics I completely blanked and, for example, if the diagnosis should have been pneumonia, I said the diagnosis was allergic rhinitis... This obviously isn't the exact case example as that would be breaking the confidentiality agreement, but, it shows how far off I was from one of the diagnosis...

So, point being, it's okay if you make a bad mistake like I did!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I failed mine initially, retook immediately, did the exact same thing as before and passed on my second attempt.

This test has a quota. There is no rhyme or reason for who passes and who fails. I am 100% positive I was failed because the NBOME has a strict policy to fail 6% of test takers and will fail you at random to make sure they meet that %.

Its ridiculous. They pretend it's a "licensing" exam, but 99.8% of people who retake it will pass on their second attempt. What? People dont have revolutionary personality changes over the course of 2 weeks. At best its an acting exam, and in reality it has no bearing on your ability to practice medicine as long as you have an extra 1400 dollars to give them.

I really dont know how they sleep at night. They stole 1400 dollars from me (.....twice) and the only thing that gets taken out of the process is that I got screened out of my top residency choices

You don't learn anything from the exam, the exam doesn't serve to keep unqualified students from practicing medicine, and if you are like me you get to move your family across the country because of it. Even if I am some total sociopath who spit in all of my patients faces during my first attempt, i will still be able to practice medicine in the end. Just after going to a ****tier residency program than the one I wanted to.

Thats the only thing that comes from failing the PE. Your residency choices are slimmer.
F the nbome.

Rant over.

Last edited:
This test has a quota. There is no rhyme or reason for who passes and who fails. I am 100% positive I was failed because the NBOME has a strict policy to fail 6% of test takers and will fail you at random to make sure they meet that %.

People say this, but is there any evidence of it? Seems like if it were true they would have a huge lawsuit on their hands. Doesn't seem like something they could hide.

I failed mine initially, retook immediately, did the exact same thing as before and passed on my second attempt.

Its ridiculous. They pretend it's a "licensing" exam, but 99.8% of people who retake it will pass on their second attempt. What? People dont have revolutionary personality changes over the course of 2 weeks. At best its an acting exam, and in reality it has no bearing on your ability to practice medicine as long as you have an extra 1400 dollars to give them.

I really dont know how they sleep at night. They stole 1400 dollars from me (.....twice) and the only thing that gets taken out of the process is that I got screened out of my top residency choices

You don't learn anything from the exam, the exam doesn't serve to keep unqualified students from practicing medicine, and if you are like me you get to move your family across the country because of it. Even if I am some total sociopath who spit in all of my patients faces during my first attempt, i will still be able to practice medicine in the end. Just after going to a ****tier residency program than the one I wanted to.

Thats the only thing that comes from failing the PE. Your residency choices are slimmer.
F the nbome.

Rant over.

I'm pretty anti-nbome/aoa but unless you have proof, it's hard to believe that they intentionally decided to fail you.

Most of the folks that I know who failed have personalities issues (condescending, arrogant, etc...)

Your rant kind of shows why you failed. It's not very professional to start blaming something or someone else when you fail at something. Being a physician means taking responsibility for your actions. Instead of blaming the nbome be a little introspective and grow from it. No residency wants a resident with this kind of attitude.

It's a myth that NBOME has a failure quota. (I know the NBOME chair.)

Reactions: 1 users
Draped 2 out of 3 abdominal exams incorrectly (a year ago don't remember why or how), one patient was moving purposely slow so never got to assess and plan with her, made up a random OMM technique (why not it's all random anyway). Thought I failed, came home looked up on SDN some guy failed draping abs wrong, knew that was the end of me...in the end I think that guys ab issue was the fact he did an ab exam on every patient.

Oh, and I passed

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty anti-nbome/aoa but unless you have proof, it's hard to believe that they intentionally decided to fail you.

Most of the folks that I know who failed have personalities issues (condescending, arrogant, etc...)

Proof goes both ways. I could just as easily ask for someone to prove they dont have a quota.

This year the NBOME sent out a survery literally asking what the quota percentage should be.

The questions almost word for word: "what is the maximum percentage of candidates who you feel should pass the exam"

Edit: and also, im not here to defend people who arrogant jerks, but just by saying that second bit... Dont you think that proves it is an acting exam?

Your rant kind of shows why you failed. It's not very professional to start blaming something or someone else when you fail at something. Being a physician means taking responsibility for your actions. Instead of blaming the nbome be a little introspective and grow from it. No residency wants a resident with this kind of attitude.

This is a reactionary post to a bull**** exam. Being a physician also means realizing that sometimes you need to vent a little bit.