COMLEX & Psych residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdanie2

MSIV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody out there know what a competitive COMLEX score for psych residencies in the Chicago area would be, approximately? I just got Step 1 scores back and passed, but was a bit disappointed w/ the score...a 492 w/ the mean being 500. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, maybe the Chicago part of the question is the reason I didn't get a response - at least that's what I'm hoping - any advice????

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't sweat your board scores....especially if you are good in interviews. People aren't exactly beating down the door to get into psych residencies. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
dont know anything about chicago in particular, but from everything i've heard, board scores for psych aren't as important as they are for other specialties. the interview is most important (for obvious reasons). if you do your research and apply smartly (is that a word?), you should not have a problem (from what i've heard, im just a 4th yr):)

No one cares about your board scores in psych. they do care about your personal statement though.

I"m a DO. No one ever brought up my scores (and they werent that stellar).

No one cares about your board scores in psych.

Really depends on your target. The more selective, well-known, academic programs certainly can & do give weight to board scores, esp. now that psych is becoming more popular with American grads--like any program that gets huge numbers of apps for a limited number of spots, board scores are a useful screening tool.

Add to this the history that many PDs have of residents not being able to pass their boards and continue on in training, and it's of concern. Marginal scores (and/or a series of failed attempts) will always raise a red flag for this reason alone.

Finally, the RRC (like most everything else in medicine) is becoming more and more concerned with objective measures of psychiatry resident performance. The PRITE (psychiatry in-service training exam), taken yearly by psych residents across the country, has gone in my 3 years of residency from being something that no one gave a **** about to something that we're all studying for now, and PDs are quite attuned to how the residents are doing on this exam.

Just because something doesn't come up in interviews (ie, board scores) doesn't mean it doesn't come up in ranking committee meetings--believe me, I'm in on them, and I know!

Not trying to freak anyone out--this has nothing to do with MD vs DO--but to say board scores don't matter in psych really isn't the case anymore.

Thanks for the info. It truly is appreciated.