COMLEX Registration Surprise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dozitgetchahi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So last night I got an email from the NBOME giving me my NBOME ID and "Secure Code" to register for the COMLEX. During a study break, I logged into the system and found that barely any test dates were available in the NY/NJ/Eastern PA/DE area for the months of May or June (this is a big deal because UMDNJ-SOM's school year ends May 4 and rotations start June 20, and most of us would obviously prefer to have at least 4-6 weeks to prep w/o having to take the boards during rotations). When i pointed this out to the people I was studying with, everyone panicked and started attempting to sign up for the COMLEX. We managed to get spots in NYC, but some other people I know have had to reserve slots at Prometric centers as far away as Baltimore, DC, Massachusetts, etc.

My question is this: did we panic for nothing? Do they open up more test slots later in the year or something? Was our school somehow unusually late in getting us approved for being able to sign up for the COMLEX? We haven't gotten much guidance from our school yet about what the appropriate procedures are for signing up for the COMLEX, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

We were told that Prometric doesn't provide the dates/sites to NBOME until 4-5 months before the offered dates.

Since May-June is more than 4-5 months away, it makes sense that there aren't that many sites/dates offered yet.

Just wait until after Christmas.

Make sure to sign up early for all tests, COMLEX I, II, & PE. Its first come first serve basis and there aren't always enough spots during desired dates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, that was hard to find a location to book my test date. Hmm.. I'm curious to know if they are going to open any more up later :confused:

Yea, that was hard to find a location to book my test date. Hmm.. I'm curious to know if they are going to open any more up later :confused:

It really sucks, doesn't it? Forget about strategizing to get a specific date...it's all you can do to get any date at a reasonable time that doesn't have you traveling to North Dakota to take the damn boards :mad:.

However, I did check on Ohio's dates because I have family there and could make it work - and they had tons and tons of dates open in June. Could be a decent option if you can get there.

I hope they open more dates up later, but I'm not holding my breath. Some 3rd and 4th years at my school have said they had the same boards scheduling issues in past years, and no more slots were opened up later (at least in the Tri-State area). Thank god the fee is transferable, allowing you to switch dates if you need to...

Also remember that Prometric test centers also offer tests in other fields.

You're sharing the same physical space as someone taking the USMLE, CPA exam, medical specialty boards, Air Conditioner Contractors of America, etc.

In Philadelphia alone, there are 5 medical school - each with roughly 250 students in each class (give or take, some may have 150). Then you have Penn State, UMDNJ-SOM, UMDNJ-RWJ, Maryland, Hopkins nearby. In addition, you have interns in the area that have to take their Step 3 USMLE (or COMLEX). Makes for a crowded market :oops:

Sign up early. Perhaps more spots will open, but what if they don't? :eek: You don't want to be in Vestal, NY when it comes to taking Step 1 :smuggrin:

(nothing against Vestal, NY - never been there. Site was pick randomly based on location on Prometrics website - middle of nowhere on PA-NY border)

NYCOM students also just received their registration emails yesterday. NYCOM told their students to not worry about registering until Dec/Jan because thats when NBOME opens up the NY area testing dates. They told us to expect 17 testing dates in the NY area from the last week of May to the 2nd week of June alone.

Yea, I booked a date near some family so it's all good. Looks like I have an excuse to fly home this summer :)

Anybody know how/when to sign up for the USMLE?

Yea, I booked a date near some family so it's all good. Looks like I have an excuse to fly home this summer :)

I was poking around on NBME website the other night and I think you just have to give them your social security number (and of course other info like name school etc.).

I'm not sure if you need any permission from your school or something though.

I looked into this the other day...basically, you start by going to the NBME website and filling out an application to "create an account" (you give them your name, SSN, medical school, etc.) Then, they will email you with an ID, password, etc for your account. You log into the account and complete the necessary application to take the USMLE. One of the steps in this process involves having a "medical school official" sign a form stating that you are who you say you are and you're eligible to take the test. Then, you mail the requisite forms, etc to the NBME and they update your "status" and allow you to choose a test date.

It really sucks, doesn't it? Forget about strategizing to get a specific date...it's all you can do to get any date at a reasonable time that doesn't have you traveling to North Dakota to take the damn boards :mad:.

However, I did check on Ohio's dates because I have family there and could make it work - and they had tons and tons of dates open in June. Could be a decent option if you can get there.

I hope they open more dates up later, but I'm not holding my breath. Some 3rd and 4th years at my school have said they had the same boards scheduling issues in past years, and no more slots were opened up later (at least in the Tri-State area). Thank god the fee is transferable, allowing you to switch dates if you need to...

Ok now.... CHILL THE F OUT. CHILL OUT. UMDNJ has given you the ability to start registering WAAAAAAAY before they did for us last year, and none of us had any problems except when the Deptford center closed and we had to find other place. EVERYONE GOT A TEST/DATE. Prometric just hasn't opened up the spots yet. THEY WILL. Think about it. Do you really think that the NBOME and the schools would have an agreement with Prometric that would lead to students not getting to take a test within the same state they live in? Use some common sense. Take a deep breath, use your inhaler if you have to. I know how your class thinks that every little thing is the end of the world and people are trying to sabotage you. Just simmer down.

Ok now.... CHILL THE F OUT. CHILL OUT. UMDNJ has given you the ability to start registering WAAAAAAAY before they did for us last year, and none of us had any problems except when the Deptford center closed and we had to find other place. EVERYONE GOT A TEST/DATE. Prometric just hasn't opened up the spots yet. THEY WILL. Think about it. Do you really think that the NBOME and the schools would have an agreement with Prometric that would lead to students not getting to take a test within the same state they live in? Use some common sense. Take a deep breath, use your inhaler if you have to. I know how your class thinks that every little thing is the end of the world and people are trying to sabotage you. Just simmer down.

lol, you sound like you're more strung out than the OP. :laugh:

Lil sensitive, eh? You sound more worried about this than I am.

And for the record - while I agree that some of the things our class has complained about are absurd, many of our beefs have been entirely valid and reasonable. In fact, I frankly cannot believe that your class and the ones before it didn't complain about some of this stuff.

Jan 1st most of the comlex sites post their comlex dates for the philadelphia area. The chonshocken site never released until then. If you are nevrvous reserve a spot that isn't too bad and then change it later.

Jan 1st most of the comlex sites post their comlex dates for the philadelphia area. The chonshocken site never released until then. If you are nevrvous reserve a spot that isn't too bad and then change it later.

So how does the changing test date/spots work? Can I change the date to let's say as far as 1 month from when I originally scheduled?

Yea, our clinical affairs just confirmed with NBOME and Prometric that more seats and possibly more dates will be opened up within 6 months of the exam. Good news :)