COMLEX step 3 - earliest allowed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalico

TV doc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading the eligibility requirements for COMLEX step 3. It's a little unclear. By the time I match for residency, I will have my osteopathic medical degree. Can I take step 3 once I've matched into a residency program, but before I begin training (some time between March and June)? Do I need to have matched at all to take COMLEX step 3?
-K

Members don't see this ad.

If you go on the NBOME's webpage & click on the "level 3 certificate form" it has to be filled out by your program director/DME and the bulletin of information says that you have to have graduated from med school (have your DO) and have to be "currently participating in and in good standing" in a PGY-1 program or have completed your PGY-1.

From all of that, it certainly looks like you have to have at least started your internship.

Thanks for replying. I saw that form, but I was trying to interpret it according to my situation and I was hoping someone before me had done it. I would love to not have to worry about Step 3 during intern year, when I have months off beforehand.

DrMom said:
If you go on the NBOME's webpage & click on the "level 3 certificate form" it has to be filled out by your program director/DME and the bulletin of information says that you have to have graduated from med school (have your DO) and have to be "currently participating in and in good standing" in a PGY-1 program or have completed your PGY-1.

From all of that, it certainly looks like you have to have at least started your internship.