Comlex Step III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zan3310

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is Comlex Step III offered? When is the best time to take it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You have to have completed 6 months of your internship to take the exam. They're changing to a computerized format and will have approx. 40 test dates available, but they haven't set them yet as far as I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gearing up for this treasure:

Crush step 3
B&W: Surgery, peds, psych, FM, neruo sections.
HY obgyn
NMS step 3 thin Q book
Kaplan Qbook...we'll see how far I get.
Swansons; MFM and peds sections, maybe some geri sections (cram in 2 days).
SOme book I found called strong medicine...got it cheap.
oh yeah, and savareese.

I really don't want to flunk this friggen test or even study for it. Alas I have no choice.

I was told to definately use B&W, Swanson's, Savarese...

and some type of question book (NMS, A&L, Kaplan)...

then a toss up as to Crush or Strong Medicine or FA....

I figure my time to study is going to be limited anyway, so might as well go for the highest yield books that I can get thru the quickest....

Any suggestions from those that have taken it?

Kat

DrMom said:
The NBOME requires the 6 months of internship.

Not 6 FULL months (they offer it in the middle of the 6th month).

Vent, dude, you're much smarter than me, and I didn't study.

Of course, I didn't study much for Step 1 or 2, either.

My friend called NBOME to ask when we are eligible to take Step 3.....need to pass Step 1, Step 2 (both parts), graduate DO school and be enrolled (and in good standing) in an Internship/Residency program. We do NOT need to wait 6 months -- the whole "6 months" thing came about because December was always the first offering of Step 3 to new grads.

This info is also verified on www.nbome.com

As usual....check your individual State laws. I know in NY and PA there is nothing specific holding any DO back from taking COMLEX asap after graduation.

Is our COMLEX 3 going to be the computerized one? Or is it still pencil and paper?

I'm so out of the loop :rolleyes:

Hmmm. I was told the 6 month thing by the head of the NBOME. He said that they'd be grouping most of the testing dates from Dec through the spring because of that requirement. Maybe they decided to loosen up that requirement.

And all steps of COMLEX after July 1 are going to be computerized.

Vent...what study materials did you use for step 2?

your advice was helpful for step 1 last year.