COMLEX to USMLE Conversion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gree0411

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at requirements for different residency programs which include minimum USMLE scores needed as well as averages of current residents.
I have not taken the USMLE and was wondering if anyone could tell me if I get such and such a score on the COMLEX, what is a comparable score for the USMLE?
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no comparable score because the tests are completely different. Also, you would be comparing two different sets of students (allo vs. osteo). Apples and Oranges. Not going to happen. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dire speaks the truth. No conversion exists. If you want to be compared as unbiased as possible take the USMLE. Otherwise prepare to be upset at the outcome.

Its your future to work towards. Hopefully this will convince you and others to put in the extra effort and take this test.

Vent

Apparently, the NBME did create a conversion for the COMLEX score to a two-digit score, to allow for better comparison. This probably just uses whatever arcane formula they use for the USMLE, and plots normal passing at 75 and mean at 82, etc, etc.

You guys are making this way too complicated and philosophical. Obviously, there are people out there who have taken both tests and have two separate scores.
State those results and I will come to my own conclusions. I don't need someone to tell me how the tests are different and they are given to different students and all that crap.

Originally posted by gree0411
You guys are making this way too complicated and philosophical. Obviously, there are people out there who have taken both tests and have two separate scores.
State those results and I will come to my own conclusions. I don't need someone to tell me how the tests are different and they are given to different students and all that crap.

Yes, this should improve the quality of response...good luck.

I am not really sure how a comlex score compares to a usmle score, but just try this one.

lets assume that both comlex and usmle's are linear function. then try this:

YCS = your comlex score, the number of questions you answred right on the comlex

Number of questions on the comlex = 750
Number of questions on usmle = 350 (I think)

x = what your usmle score would be.

and here is the equation:

x= (300/750)(YCS)

I tried this for my score and what I can tell you is this much, the usmle score that I got was in the same "competiveness" range of my comlex score.

I wouldn't rely on this, I am just a match geek, but you can try it for fun.

96% COMLEX I
227/92 USMLE I
92% COMLEX II

I know of two of my buddies who have the exact same USMLE score and COMLEX scores > 94%. The "conversion" chart provided by NBOME turned my 96% into an ambiguous 2 digit 86 (is it a percentile? wtf is it? neither the PDs or myself knew)...Every PD asked why I did so much better on my USMLE than my COMLEX. There is your conversion chart for ya. Its a total crock that will hurt you in the end.

Conversion forumula above is of even less use than what the NBOME provided.

hey man... maybe you're the total crock... ever think of that??? got something?? bring it!! im rede for ya............:smuggrin:

Quality response, very useful for all of us on the board. Gimme a buzz when you match slopsucker. Perhaps establishing raport before launching into a sophomoric attempt at sarcasm would be wise....for future reference of course. :hardy:

Originally posted by cooldreams
hey man... maybe you're the total crock... ever think of that??? got something?? bring it!! im rede for ya............:smuggrin:

Listen, douche.......before you bring some weak attempt at a "diss" to my man Vent, learn to spell, okay?!? You're "rede for ya"? Believe me, clown..........the only thing you are "rede" for is an embarassment. Don't step up to an intellectual giant when you are a mental midget. None the less,

PEACE OUT!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can figure out the percentiles, they're probably roughly equal.

Even though the COMLPEX is probably an easier test because of the abundance of OPP, the poorly written questions probably balance that out to make it comparable to the USMILE.

Kirksville did a study a little while back comparing students who took both the COMLEX and the USMLE and found that the performances on both exams paralleled eachother quite closely.

You can find the study by doing a Yahoo search. I will try to dig it up.

As for me, I have decided to bite the bullet (and the $400+) and take the USMLE (per VentdependenTs advice, among others). I just think that since you are studying for a test anyway, why not take a crack at the USMLE and put yourself on a level plain, at least as far as a standardized score number.

Worst case scenario, I bomb the USMLE and don't report my scores. Then keep my fingers crossed that I'm not asked about it during a residency interview.

;)

btw: The AOA has stated (from a representative who spoke at PCOM this year) that they are working on a way of computing COMLEX scores to match up to USMLE scores. Some sort of rubrik. Not sure how they plan on doing that, exactly, but at least we can be assured that the AOA is aware of the discrepancy and the issues it is causing for DO students.

Originally posted by Brachial_Plexus
Listen, douche.......before you bring some weak attempt at a "diss" to my man Vent, learn to spell, okay?!? You're "rede for ya"? Believe me, clown..........the only thing you are "rede" for is an embarassment. Don't step up to an intellectual giant when you are a mental midget. None the less,

im not asking for a mental shoot... i just wanna beat the crap outta him... i dont see the problem with that?? :hardy:

Originally posted by VentdependenT
Quality response, very useful for all of us on the board. Gimme a buzz when you match slopsucker. Perhaps establishing raport before launching into a sophomoric attempt at sarcasm would be wise....for future reference of course. :hardy:

oh no!!! the great vent has used a slag word in an attempt to hurt my feelings... lol...

Originally posted by Brachial_Plexus

"Number one in the hood G"

You left out applied to and accepted at both and chose allo, or applied and accepted to MD only. I belong to the former group. AOA intern yr, ACGME res.
- taken from http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113285

a mental giant?? why was he unable to figure out that the OP was talking about MS1-4 and not PGY ?? everyone else got it...

:)

Come and say hi to me if you ever come to Chicago. You know where I will be for the next four years. Best of luck and thanks for the insightful responses! :thumbup:

Come and say hi to me if you ever come to Chicago. You know where I will be for the next four years. Best of luck and thanks for the insightful responses! :thumbup:

insightful responses... yea sure... im just oozeing with them... lol

4 yrs huh?? well then... heh.. guess i got some time to get this done... sweet... thanks a lot man!!

I called NBOME last August after getting my score back and they said that there is a conversion formula. When I asked for it, I was told that they don't give it out to students (who knows why?)
However, it is available to any PD if they call the NBOME...(like they really have the time).

Yep, there is a big discrepancy...for example... somewhere in the 90th %ile on comlex only puts you in the low to mid 80s on the USMLE two digit score...which is saying that you got somewhere from 200 to ~220.....so, a top score on the comlex converts into an average score on the USMLE....

This formula was determined by the NBOME...wouldn't you think that they would help us instead of hurting our chances by making our excellent COMLEX score appear just average to all ACGME programs?

Congrats on seeing the light JPH. You will sincerely thank yourself for spending the extra cash and time for the USMLE step I. Doors will open. Good job my man.

BP, if you get some time off check out Soundbar this weekend. Its a great club that just opened up downtown right by WhiteStar Lounge. I'll be there this Thursday gettin light up like the middle east.

COMLEX : 93%
USMLE 1: 248/99

I think people get into trouble when trying to compare the two digit scores. Many people seem not to realize that the two digit USMLE score is not a percentile, but just some bogus scale. Based on the two digit scale, it looks like I did so much better on the USMLE, when in fact, on a percentile basis, I did worse.

I don't understand why the NBOME would create another two digit scale. A percentile is a basic statistical concept that is easy to understand. PDs have the mean and standard deviation of the USMLE, so it is easy for them to convert the three digit USMLE number to a percentile. I don't think there is any way to really compare the two exams.

Are you guys going to fight each other??

They changed the name of the COMLEX to COMVEX. Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Variable-Purpose Examination

I think I will miss the old name.