COMLEX: What does it take to pass???!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been talking with some of my peers at school and I have heard various rumors from residents and students about the actual passing of the COMLEX exam. Now, is it true that you MUST PASS EACH SECTION of the COMLEX in order to pass the exam???? It was my understanding that if I got a 51% OVERALL, I passed. Is that true or not? Also, if it is required that you pass each section in order to pass the entire exam, what are these "sections"? Thanks alot.

Atlas
MSII-OU

Members don't see this ad.

There are multiple sections, but you only have to achieve a standardized score of 400 to pass the exam, which is about the 10-12th percentile. No one realy knows the percentage of questions needed to pass the exam, but it has been rumored to be around 50%. After taking the exam, I believe that that number might be a little high. 45% overall might be the number to shoot for.

I have heard anywhere from 50-60 is passing...but they do their own thing to come up with 400!!! Who really knows.

So as long as you get your 400, no matter the breakdown, you Pass?

Members don't see this ad :)
Having taken step-1 I suspect the absolute percentage to pass is pretty low. I wouldn't be surprised if it was as low as 30-40%. Also, why wouldn't NBOME make the figures available? Again, I suspect it's due to the low passing percentage. People (and organizations) tend to avoid disclosing information for self serving reasons, and it's usually never a positive reason.

In the past, 50% percent has been the standard for passing the COMLEX I. However, each year the exam changes as far as percentile comparisons. It's a bell curve, so each year people will fail, no matter what their score is. This year I have a hunch that people are going to do much better because there are new study materials that have emerged which are entirely directed toward this year's exam. I think the bar is going to go up a little. Guess we'll find out in June.

Lumpo said:
In the past, 50% percent has been the standard for passing the COMLEX I. However, each year the exam changes as far as percentile comparisons. It's a bell curve, so each year people will fail, no matter what their score is. This year I have a hunch that people are going to do much better because there are new study materials that have emerged which are entirely directed toward this year's exam. I think the bar is going to go up a little. Guess we'll find out in June.

I can't imagine how you could possibly know the passing "standard".

Also, the NBOME clearly denies that a set number of people will fail the exam. The likelihood of failing the exam decreases as the scores cluster tighter around the mean, so a 100% pass rate is something that is a possibility.

THERE WILL NEVER BE A 100% PASS RATE ON COMLEX I. It is just not possible, even theoretically. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise. A bell curve is a bell curve. Lots of good study material this year that was never available before.

I'm very curious to find out what this study material is, given that the exam is changing this year to being computer based (and therefore decreasing the # of questions by half). How will study guides know what to study if no one has taken this particular test before?

Elysium said:
I'm very curious to find out what this study material is, given that the exam is changing this year to being computer based (and therefore decreasing the # of questions by half). How will study guides know what to study if no one has taken this particular test before?

One person has been registering multiple times trying to shill his/her study guide. You may recall someone looking for school email lists, posing as a SOMA rep. Same person.

This is the last time I stop with a simple ban. Next time, I contact the hospital IT and administration that they post from. Possibly their school as well.

tkim6599 said:
One person has been registering multiple times trying to shill his/her study guide. You may recall someone looking for school email lists, posing as a SOMA rep. Same person.

This is the last time I stop with a simple ban. Next time, I contact the hospital IT and administration that they post from. Possibly their school as well.

You GO man! I like it when you get fierce!

;)

tkim6599 said:
[looks left, right]

Is sac around?

hey baby ;)

Yeah, he's around but too busy with his medicine rotation to pay attention to me. :(

How you doing?

tkim6599 said:
The fool! Soft tissue his ass into submission!

I think I might need to do some HVLA on his ass! Booyah!

what are the new materials!!! this guy is a phony, esp if he thinks he knows more than idio.

basha said:
what are the new materials!!! this guy is a phony, esp if he thinks he knows more than idio.

Dont worry, he doesnt.

I did hear about this study guide, though. A classmate and I were working on one last year at this time, but it was just too much for 2-3 people, and we couldn't see realizing a great benefit. More power to them, though, if they got a good one.

With that said, if the materials were cheap, I would get them...every little bit helps.

Bad timing, though, with the format changing this year.

So, if a 400 is considered passing, what is considered a "good"/competitive score for residencies???