Commanding a combat support hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ascultator

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been considering joining up -- I've wanted to take part in a forward combat support hospital. Anyone have some advice on this -- how likely or difficult it is to land an assignment like this? I'm an intern in family med right now not yet commissioned.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been considering joining up -- I've wanted to take part in a forward combat support hospital. Anyone have some advice on this -- how likely or difficult it is to land an assignment like this? I'm an intern in family med right now not yet commissioned.

Funny question. A CSH Commander is usually an O-6 so in 18 years let us know how it works out. As an FP you are far more likely to end up in BN surgeon/flight surgeon position.

Most of the physician squadron and group commanders (who are tapped to command CSHs such as Balad and Bagram) are family practitioners. If this is your goal, join the Air Force, stay in when everyone else gets out, and ask to be put in charge. You probably will be.