Comments on Medical Admin career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xmiinc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering taking courses for a medical admin career, after 20 years in the Arts (NYU, BA). The school I'm looking at, here in NYC, is The Chubb Institute (a general vocational-training center, with an appropriate program). They claim good placement upon satisfactory completion, and are asking $12k for the training.

Anyone have comments about the career choice, the tuition amount, the Chubb Institute in particular?

After googling for 2 days, I haven't really found any independent evaluations of the school or placement record (they apparently don't supply grad call-sheets, not a good sign). Any comments on cold-calling doctor's offices to talk to staff about how they got their positions?

All comments welcome! Thanks in advance,

Members don't see this ad.

xmiinc said:
I'm considering taking courses for a medical admin career, after 20 years in the Arts (NYU, BA). The school I'm looking at, here in NYC, is The Chubb Institute (a general vocational-training center, with an appropriate program). They claim good placement upon satisfactory completion, and are asking $12k for the training.

Anyone have comments about the career choice, the tuition amount, the Chubb Institute in particular?

After googling for 2 days, I haven't really found any independent evaluations of the school or placement record (they apparently don't supply grad call-sheets, not a good sign). Any comments on cold-calling doctor's offices to talk to staff about how they got their positions?

All comments welcome! Thanks in advance,

I think perhaps you are on the wrong board??? Folks on here tend to be planning to go to med (or in some cases dental) school, not med admin. If you are asking if that's a good EC for med school, I would suggest not, but otherwise you might get more input from another board.

Law2Doc said:
I think perhaps you are on the wrong board??? Folks on here tend to be planning to go to med (or in some cases dental) school, not med admin. If you are asking if that's a good EC for med school, I would suggest not, but otherwise you might get more input from another board.

Thanks, your reply is much appreciated! If you could point me to a more appropriate board, that would be extremely helpful. I've been googling on all kinds of terminological variations for days, and I'm frankly surprised that I can't seem to find either an independent "evaluator" of vocational training in general or specifically in this field, or anything (except 1 page) from graduates of medical admin training, or even current practitioners. Common sense tells me that can't be the case, but I've come up with very little other than boards like this one, predicated on practitioners rather than administrators.

Members don't see this ad :)
xmiinc, what job do you expect to get after completing this program?

Hi there,
Moving to other clinicians board for better comments as most folks on the other clinician boards are more likely to have come in contact with Medical Administration than pre-med students.
njbmd :)
Your friendly neighorbood moderator

njbmd said:
Hi there,
Moving to other clinicians board for better comments as most folks on the other clinician boards are more likely to have come in contact with Medical Administration than pre-med students.
njbmd :)
Your friendly neighorbood moderator

Thanks NJBMD, much appreciate the move to perhaps a more pertinent forum!

Supersash, what I'm expecting (this is before I've taken any classes, mind you) is to either utilize corporate admin experience organizing HR, or build on some IT knowledge I have and focus on data acquisition architectures and systems, data entry, billing, or simply medical transcription...

What I really want to do is, for the first time in my life (I'm 43 with a degree in Music, acquired IT certs, with a bit of programming experience), enter an economic sector that has a bit of stability or long-term growth potential that can translate into a degree of financial security. Perhaps its sad to say in this forum, but medicine as such doesn't even come into it, other than a reasonable degree of intellectual curiosity for a science.

Thanks for the replies...

it seems you are too smart for what you are talking about. if you are interested in entering the field in someway, you may want to just get an entry level job at a hospital, to see if you like it. 12 grand is not a lot in the grand scheme of medical school (or other healthcare fields), but it is alot if you realize it isnt for you. i of course, am a lowly premed student who should be studying for the mcat's, hehe! best of luck to you!!

I would suggest an MPH in Health Policy or an MPA in health. U of Chicago offers the MPA usually with good financial support. Many places offer an HPA MPH with financial help. My wife and I are both extensively involved in policy, neither of us has come across a Chubb graduate (but we are in the Midwest).

- H

I would not attend ANY vocational school and expect positive results. I have an MS in healthcare management and informatics and seems a more appropriate choice based on your previous experience and education. The job market is tough for us older guys...pm if you would like more information.

FoughtFyr said:
I would suggest an MPH in Health Policy or an MPA in health. U of Chicago offers the MPA usually with good financial support. Many places offer an HPA MPH with financial help. My wife and I are both extensively involved in policy, neither of us has come across a Chubb graduate (but we are in the Midwest).

- H

Umm, what about an MBA in Healthcare Management?

PublicHealth said:
Umm, what about an MBA in Healthcare Management?

I would put the MBA in Healthcare Management with the MPA in Health. Both are going to push you toward the "business side" of administration. The MPH is going to open up clinical avenues such as QI/QA and education that wouldn't be available to the MPA/MBA. That said, the MPH will have a harder time proving themselves capable in the business aspects (but it can be and is done). The downside of an MBA is that it really requires a "big name" school to be effective. There are too many programs out there right now. Whereas few schools have the MPA, and for the most part they are upper eschalon institutions.

- H

Thank you all for your well-considered comments and opinions, they're a credit to this board! You've given me a number of things to mull over and follow up on before I consider a commitment with this school. Couldn't ask for more!

Thanks!