• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

comments regarding the new forums layout

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
Its very graphics rich, then again, it might just take getting some used to.

The karma system is interesting to say the least, but the binary system it uses is not so much what I had in mind.

About the Ads

Gleevec

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
The only thing that bothers me are the relatively huge images being put in sigs, I have ethernet here so its not a problem for me, but it seems as if some dialup users might have problems with it?

Also it can make the browser slow down if there are a lot of animated images in a single thread.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2001
Hell, Norway
  1. Attending Physician
Gleevec said:
The only thing that bothers me are the relatively huge images being put in sigs, I have ethernet here so its not a problem for me, but it seems as if some dialup users might have problems with it?

Also it can make the browser slow down if there are a lot of animated images in a single thread.
There is an option in the user CP to not view sigs if you have a slower modem or don't want to see them.

The sharks are temporary I was just trying out the pictures in sig thing.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
MY laptop's at a relatively high resolution (1680X1050), so things actually look better now because I dont' have to be super close to the screen to read things.

The way that things are organized now make more sense, especially the User Control Panel.

About the Ads

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2001
what's w/ the 'quick reply box"? seems like it's taking up random space? what's the karma system everyone's talking about?

-i'd say move the avators to the left column like before
-stop bolding all of the new threads.

Gleevec

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
Yogi Bear said:
what's w/ the 'quick reply box"? seems like it's taking up random space? what's the karma system everyone's talking about?

-i'd say move the avators to the left column like before
-stop bolding all of the new threads.

To engage quick reply press that icon next to reply.

If you click on the scales, you can rate a post + or -, ie a "karma" system. The better or worse your karma is the more green squares you have.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
  1. Attending Physician
DrBodacious said:
Thanks Mom!

Er, wait, I still don't see anything there, its just signature stuff??? Am I that stupid??

I'm sorry. For some reason when I read your post I was thinking signature.

Same basic thing for your custom user text: go to user cp, click on edit profile, make your changes in custom user text. :)

About the Ads
Yeah, that karma thing is a little weird. So we're encouraged to rate other users' posts? Every single one of them?!

Also, how come you have to click a "quick reply" button after someone's post, in order to post a quick reply? Doesn't that kinda make it a "not-so-quick" reply?

About the Ads

spaz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2003
good, the username and user info is back on the left side. :thumbup:

the cool new feature that i just discovered (yes, i'm slow) is the ability to "preview" the thread - by holding your mouse over the thread title, you can see the first post without actually clicking on the thread. only seems to apply to threads that were started after the change.

SaltySqueegee

El Rey de Salsa
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
www.studentdoctor.net
  1. MD/PhD Student
DrMom said:

Same basic thing for your custom user text: go to user cp, click on edit profile, make your changes in custom user text. :)

Hmmm... I went to the area but I could not find the Custom User Text field under my profile edit window. Does the Administrator need to enable me to edit it? Thanks in advance to the moderators for the forum.

MDPhDTom

TRUE

slacker extraordinaire
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2004
NYC
www.mdapplicants.com
DrMom said:

Where exactly is the "custom user text" field? I don't see it in my edit profile page. I have location, biography, a few other fields, but no custom user text.

Thanks.

Newquagmire

15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2002
SoulRFlare said:
You get good Karma for knowing that!

What goes around comes around.

CalBeE said:
It seems like Buddha's Birthday almost coincide with Jesus' resurrection day this year...well not that I'm religious or anything

Hanamatsuri is celebrated April 8th every year. I would think that Good Friday/Easter and Passover are the second weekends of April every year. It's not that uncommon for the major world religions (especially the Abrahamic ones--Islam is a little different b/c it's on a lunar calendar) to have holidays falling around the same dates.

Not that I'm hijacking this thread is for discussing religion...

New layout looks more modern. Will take some time adapting from the old "ugly but functional" layout.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.