comments regarding the new forums layout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's everyone's opinion about the new layout?

Members don't see this ad.

Its very graphics rich, then again, it might just take getting some used to.

The karma system is interesting to say the least, but the binary system it uses is not so much what I had in mind.

It's growing on me. It's the exact same software another forum I go to is so it's a little weird to see the same thing in two different forums.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing that bothers me are the relatively huge images being put in sigs, I have ethernet here so its not a problem for me, but it seems as if some dialup users might have problems with it?

Also it can make the browser slow down if there are a lot of animated images in a single thread.

I miss the old forums already. This is weird.

The shark meat is weird... why?

not sure i like it....everything is so big now...takes up so much room on the screen....and spread out...but i guess we'll get used to it...

Gleevec said:
The only thing that bothers me are the relatively huge images being put in sigs, I have ethernet here so its not a problem for me, but it seems as if some dialup users might have problems with it?

Also it can make the browser slow down if there are a lot of animated images in a single thread.
There is an option in the user CP to not view sigs if you have a slower modem or don't want to see them.

The sharks are temporary I was just trying out the pictures in sig thing.

It seems pretty rad to me.

MY laptop's at a relatively high resolution (1680X1050), so things actually look better now because I dont' have to be super close to the screen to read things.

The way that things are organized now make more sense, especially the User Control Panel.

For some reason I can't find the place where you change the line under your avatar.

What are those little green reputation boxes next to everyone's # of posts supposed to mean?

So and so 'is an unknown quantity'? 'On a distinguished road'?

Things are too big. Too much on the screen, and too in-your-face. Hard to look at esp while at the office.

Members don't see this ad :)
what's w/ the 'quick reply box"? seems like it's taking up random space? what's the karma system everyone's talking about?

-i'd say move the avators to the left column like before
-stop bolding all of the new threads.

Yogi Bear said:
what's w/ the 'quick reply box"? seems like it's taking up random space? what's the karma system everyone's talking about?

-i'd say move the avators to the left column like before
-stop bolding all of the new threads.

To engage quick reply press that icon next to reply.

If you click on the scales, you can rate a post + or -, ie a "karma" system. The better or worse your karma is the more green squares you have.

I definately liked the old look better.

How do you change the messege under your name now??

Thanks Mom!

Er, wait, I still don't see anything there, its just signature stuff??? Am I that stupid??

the search results come up differently now....I don't like this change

DrBodacious said:
Thanks Mom!

Er, wait, I still don't see anything there, its just signature stuff??? Am I that stupid??

I'm sorry. For some reason when I read your post I was thinking signature.

Same basic thing for your custom user text: go to user cp, click on edit profile, make your changes in custom user text. :)

I liked the old forums, but then again, I never like change :cool:

It is going to take some time to get used too.

Gleevec said:

If you click on the scales, you can rate a post + or -, ie a "karma" system. The better or worse your karma is the more green squares you have.

speaking of karma, happy belated hanamatsuri (i.e. buddha's bday)

Newquagmire said:

Thanks! :D

Newquagmire said:
It seems like Buddha's Birthday almost coincide with Jesus' resurrection day this year...well not that I'm religious or anything

I like the new changes.....I would say that for most of the people who don't care for it now in time they will learn to love it.

I am not a fan. Everything is so big and spread out! It really cramps down on my skimming ability. I feel like a need a smaller monitor... :mad:

Yeah, that karma thing is a little weird. So we're encouraged to rate other users' posts? Every single one of them?!

Also, how come you have to click a "quick reply" button after someone's post, in order to post a quick reply? Doesn't that kinda make it a "not-so-quick" reply?

A.D.O.R. said:
my eyesight isn't terrible but the larger images and better color quality are really helpful. i no longe rhave to sit really close to my computer screen. i really like the new lay out.
Larger images and color quality? Are you talking about SDN or did you modify your computer monitor settings?

Me Gusta Mucho! It looks a lot more professional now. What a great job!!

My first reaction was that I didn't like it, but there's nothing really inherently bad about it. Probably just takes some getting used to because everything is a lot bigger it seems. The new features are interesting.

i like the old style better to tell you the truth...

but i dont think they will revert to it so i get used to the changes....

just seems a lot more complicated and confusing....

what is that distinguished road thing anyway?

I guess we're all too "American", you know, resistant to changes...come one, we're still using Farenheit, miles, and inches, while the rest of the world already changed :D

good, the username and user info is back on the left side. :thumbup:

the cool new feature that i just discovered (yes, i'm slow) is the ability to "preview" the thread - by holding your mouse over the thread title, you can see the first post without actually clicking on the thread. only seems to apply to threads that were started after the change.

Gleevec said:

Gleevec...I gave you good karma for this one...

Newquagmire said:

You get good Karma for knowing that!

DrMom said:

Same basic thing for your custom user text: go to user cp, click on edit profile, make your changes in custom user text. :)

Hmmm... I went to the area but I could not find the Custom User Text field under my profile edit window. Does the Administrator need to enable me to edit it? Thanks in advance to the moderators for the forum.

MDPhDTom

SoulRFlare said:
Gleevec...I gave you good karma for this one...

Thanks! =)

Not sure I like the new format, but I guess there's no going back.

DrMom said:

Where exactly is the "custom user text" field? I don't see it in my edit profile page. I have location, biography, a few other fields, but no custom user text.

Thanks.

facted said:
Where exactly is the "custom user text" field? I don't see it in my edit profile page. I have location, biography, a few other fields, but no custom user text.

Thanks.

I concur Dr. Mom. I dont see any custom user text options :confused: Something to look into?

The layout is much better now that our handles/avatars are on the left hand side. That was my only real beef. And that I can't as of yet change my custom user text. :confused:

Also, I sort of feel like an old man. I've seen 3 different styles of SDN now!! :D

I like the more futuristic look to the interface: it's slick.

Yogi Bear said:
what's everyone's opinion about the new layout?

I think it's cool, I wish they have improved/added a few more smilies.

a lot more scrolling cause everything just takes up more space.

some good things, some bad things, but for sure...its gonna take time to get used to where everything is...

Me too...I've seen three different styles of SDN and I've been here for less than a year (Since last summer)

CalBeE said:
Me too...I've seen three different styles of SDN and I've been here for less than a year (Since last summer)
trying to keep up with the trends i guess...

SoulRFlare said:
You get good Karma for knowing that!

What goes around comes around.

CalBeE said:
It seems like Buddha's Birthday almost coincide with Jesus' resurrection day this year...well not that I'm religious or anything

Hanamatsuri is celebrated April 8th every year. I would think that Good Friday/Easter and Passover are the second weekends of April every year. It's not that uncommon for the major world religions (especially the Abrahamic ones--Islam is a little different b/c it's on a lunar calendar) to have holidays falling around the same dates.

Not that I'm hijacking this thread is for discussing religion...

New layout looks more modern. Will take some time adapting from the old "ugly but functional" layout.