Commissioning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

O Gaúcho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have received a Final select letter for the 4 year Navy HPSP. I cannot commission until I graduate in June. The problem is I will not receive my final transcript stating that I have a degree until mid July. I go to school right now in Hawaii and have been working with a recruiter here in Hawaii. Right after I graduate I will be moving to Chicago. So am I able to commission in Chicago with a recruiter located there or will I have to fly back to Hawaii to be commissioned? I asked my recruiter, which is a new recruiter since my old recruiter has a new assignment and she doesn't really know much at all. She was unsure. So I am wondering if anyone here has any experience or insight on this situation. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From my own personal experience (with the Army), once the paperwork is done, you can be commissioned outside where you were recruited. Either way, you need an officer to administer the oath of office, not your enlisted recruiter. You would just need to contact the Chicago office and get everything set up through them. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone at my school has commissioned once the school year started on August 1st and most were not locals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I commissioned in the city where my school was. My recruiter sent him all the paperwork and whatnot so no I doubt you would have to fly back to Hawaii. I tried to commission early so I could do ODS but they wouldn't let me commission til August 1st of my D1 year.

So I have received a Final select letter for the 4 year Navy HPSP. I cannot commission until I graduate in June. The problem is I will not receive my final transcript stating that I have a degree until mid July. I go to school right now in Hawaii and have been working with a recruiter here in Hawaii. Right after I graduate I will be moving to Chicago. So am I able to commission in Chicago with a recruiter located there or will I have to fly back to Hawaii to be commissioned? I asked my recruiter, which is a new recruiter since my old recruiter has a new assignment and she doesn't really know much at all. She was unsure. So I am wondering if anyone here has any experience or insight on this situation. Thanks!

I have a similar situation. I also am graduating in June and won't get my degree/final transcripts until July. My recruiter told me I would be commissioning Aug 1 and she gave me locations to choose from (near my school or near home). I am planning to commission near my school. She seemed pretty flexible in terms of dates/times too.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a similar situation. I also am graduating in June and won't get my degree/final transcripts until July. My recruiter told me I would be commissioning Aug 1 and she gave me locations to choose from (near my school or near home). I am planning to commission near my school. She seemed pretty flexible in terms of dates/times too.

Same here, official degree late July and DS1 begins early August. Does anyone know how long it takes to process the contract? Unfortunately, I think I'll have to take out loans and be retro paid :S

Congrats! Also applying for Navy HPSP. Could you please tell me when you were submitted to the board? Trying to see where my own application stands

Thanks everyone for their replies! Very insightful!
Congrats! Also applying for Navy HPSP. Could you please tell me when you were submitted to the board? Trying to see where my own application stands
My kit was submitted in the February board. Found out I was professionally recommended 2 weeks later and received the final select letter about 1 and a half months later.

Thanks everyone for their replies! Very insightful!

My kit was submitted in the February board. Found out I was professionally recommended 2 weeks later and received the final select letter about 1 and a half months later.
Thanks! Things are moving a bit slow for me..